User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #76
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
MedEvac Insurance....

I just purchased "just in case" Evacuation insurance incase I brake a bone and can't ride out. Surprisingly affordable. $57.00 total. Not bad. Also include in the policy was " REPATRIATION OF REMAINS" I guess that means had I ridden over a land mine in Cambodia they would fly my limbs back to the states.?
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #77
TWC4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Awesome!

Thats awesome! Can't wait to hear how those Mefos hold up on your trip. Ive heard good things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Twisted Throttle is IN! We'll be helping with at least some Mefo Explorers and some Deanli LED Lights..... More to follow.

Kevin
Old 05-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #78
Casey.
Nerd on a bike

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
I just purchased "just in case" Evacuation insurance incase I brake a bone and can't ride out. Surprisingly affordable. $57.00 total. Not bad. Also include in the policy was " REPATRIATION OF REMAINS" I guess that means had I ridden over a land mine in Cambodia they would fly my limbs back to the states.?
That's a very good deal indeed. I've wondered what something like that costs.
I had the return of remains insurance when I studied abroad in Japan. Pretty bleak.
Hope you have a great time and I'll be looking forward to reading along.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #79
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
I use Medjet Assist. Pricier but better if your out of the country. It will get you to the hospital of your choice. My plan will repatriate my motorcycle too.
Also it is important that your travelling companions know you have this insurance, where to find the phone number, and procedure policy in case you should become incapable of making decisions yourself. (read knocked out or worse)
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #80
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
It is hard to tell how big it is in your picture but it sort of looks like the garter spring for the wheel bearing seal. Especially given where you got it from and the grease leaking out of there. Have you done your wheel bearings already?

I am a bit concerned about your rack mounting. I would be surprised if that made the whole trip on paved roads with nothing on it. You might want to beef up that mounting system. Or just leave that add on part at home...

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #81
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
I would start a trip of this length with fresh wheel bearings in both wheels. They are a pain in the butt to change on the trail. You might bring one spare bearing for each wheel (maybe one of your good old bearings from each axle wrapped up in a ziplock bag). It is unlikely you will loose both of them in one wheel at the same instant and it could be really helpful to have one along if you have issues. It may be far easier to reach into the bottom of your baggage to get a bearing than to wait for 3 days for one to be shipped into some tiny town in NV or OR. I am not too sure about your bike but maybe all 4 of them are the same. I also like to write down the bearing numbers in my service manual so I can get them easier from the bearing shop.

Is that BBQ grill really necessary for your packing method? I would seriously consider leaving it home. Remember lighter is better!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #82
Burro driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Sorry y'all about the slow start. We leave A week from today. Uhaul is reserved, plane tickets bought. We're starting at Myrtle Beach because Coast to Coast just seems more complete. We'll try to squeeze in as much dirt in S.C. as we can but the GPS tracks I got for dirt from an inmate for Myrtle to Tellico Plains were kinda Southerly, so we may just hit smaller section of dirt roads East of TAT start.
Good News: This came in Mail today!!!!! Thanks to Sam Correro for all his hard work making these maps/rollcharts.

This came a few days ago. Straight from the fine folks at IMS

Rigged this rack for my duffle:
Beautiful bike! How much does that tank hold?
You might want to turn those mounting bolts on your rack, so that they are pointing down instead of up. Otherwise you'll have holes rubbed into what ever you have tied on there.
Burro driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #83
g.mccormick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
It looks like that spring is the seal spring. It also looks like the dirt/water seal is toast. If I were you, i'd replace bearings and seals before leaving. The wheel seals are a consumable, then get chewed up under normal use. WHen the are bad, they let water and dirt into the hub, which can then get to the bearings. I'd put fresh in.
g.mccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #84
Burro driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Sorry y'all about the slow start. We leave A week from today. Uhaul is reserved, plane tickets bought. We're starting at Myrtle Beach because Coast to Coast just seems more complete. We'll try to squeeze in as much dirt in S.C. as we can but the GPS tracks I got for dirt from an inmate for Myrtle to Tellico Plains were kinda Southerly, so we may just hit smaller section of dirt roads East of TAT start.
Good News: This came in Mail today!!!!! Thanks to Sam Correro for all his hard work making these maps/rollcharts.

This came a few days ago. Straight from the fine folks at IMS

Rigged this rack for my duffle:
Beautiful bike! How much does that tank hold?
You might want to turn those mounting bolts on your rack, so that they are pointing down instead of up. Otherwise you'll have holes rubbed into what ever you have tied on there.
Burro driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #85
motogirl25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Following this report! We are starting the trail next July and doing it in big sections (three or four). I am hoping to learn a lot from your experience. Good luck and have fun!
motogirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #86
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Thumb Thanks Burro Driver, Welcome Moto Girl

Burro driver. IMS TANK is 4 gallons. I will take your advice on flipping u-bolts to be less abrasive. Good Call.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #87
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
What day are ya'll gonna be in Tellico Plains? I'm near the start of the TAT and will be here for a few days at Hunts Campground

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #88
ETD
Enjoy!

Oddometer: 29
Nice job with the cable camera in the video.
Ill be out there in September, Im looking forward to watching your trip...
ETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #89
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I'm in. I should be following you starting sometime in late June.
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #90
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Replies

Hey Stuntheavy, We're leaving on Thursday, but have to Drive to Myrtle beach then spend 2 days getting to Tellico Plains so.... May 23 or 24th???

ETD ... Yes, I bought 300 feet of #mil rope to ge the unique perspective. Wait till we get to UtAH!!

ESP 41, You might run into us, I'm pretty slow!