Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #136
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Recognized your screen name and my brain finally made the connection to your posts in the Pizza thread. I hate finals.

I'm caught up now.

Going back to your $20 story: It's comforting to know you've got Someone watching over you. Nothing that profound has happened to me but something happened to my dad after my little brother died.

Good on you for telling your story, your way. It's impressive.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #137
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Awesome story telling.. You, sir, are blessed.
N-Id-Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #138
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumb The good stuff..

I'm in. Interesting perspective and looks like a fun trip too.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #139
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
The following morning I loaded up and headed for Kennewick, Washington. Greg was still asleep and hooked up to his breathing machines, and I was afraid to disturb him, so I left him a note of thanks and quietly made my way out.

It was a damp day in Montana, not raining, but misty and foggy enough so that the sun couldn't poke through very much. The first few hundred miles was more of the same beautiful country I'd been seeing the last few days. My first gas fill up was at a mountainside truck stop somewhere in west Montana. I made conversation with a few local Harley riders there who noticed I was fully loaded and a long way from home. They were very surprised to hear what I was doing. By this time the surprised reactions I continually received were getting a little bit predictable, but hadn't began to really bother me. I grabbed a late breakfast inside and filled up on fuel, then mounted back up to continue west.

I passed through Coeur d'Alene, Idaho just as it started to rain. By this time kd learned a lot about rain riding, out of necessity, and was less panicked. I got into my zone, intensely concentrated, making each input to the bike withincreased awareness and intentionality, and as some of you may understand, it's a state of mind all of it's own. After 10 or 15 minutes, the rain started to hurt as I collided with it at highway speed, even through my gloves and jacket. Then I looked down and noticed white pebbles accumulating in the creases of my jacket. No wonder it hurt, it was sleet - not rain.

Sleet. In July.

I pressed on, having learned by that tome that most weather was escapable if you just keep rolling. Sure enough within a few minutes it quit and started to dry up.

The landscape began to change from lush green foothills to desert like and flat over the course of the day, and my soggy clothes dried out as the sun revealed itself again.

When I imagined Washington state, I pictured pine forests. I saw also none of that and almost all what appeared to resemble desert. Again, a surprise to me. It was now hot and dry instead if cold and wet.

This was one of the few areas of the trip I figured I'd have to camp or hotel because I didn't have any nearby contacts. I'd been spamming my friends for months through Facebook statuses and had successfully rounded up a spot to stay almost everywhere. Nothing had turned up for this area, though, until a few days prior. A friend I'd met about a year before in Nicaragua, Caitlin, sent me a Facebook message telling me one of her best friends lived in Kennewick and would be happy to host me. I got a name, number, and address, and I was set.

I got off the highway and made my way through Pasco, which was reminiscent of Central America - almost every sign was in Spanish. I crossed the Columbia River bridge and I was in Kennewick. Just a few turns and I'd arrived.

It was mid afternoon, probably 3 or 4pm. Murphy was home and greeted me in the driveway. She welcomed me into the house and offered me a much needed glass of ice water. She said everyone was at work but they'd be home soon. Several friends shared the house and lived there together. I gave Murphy the rundown about my trip amd how i'd met Caitlin, and she told me a little about herself. She and several of their friends worked at a local gourmet cheese shop called Cheese Louise. Shortly thereafter, one of her roommates, Krista, arrived. We got dinner ready together and decided to quit waiting and eat around 7pm around dusk. They'd fixed "tri tip", which I remember because that was the first time I'd heard of such a thing and haven't found it again since. It was a grilled cut of beef, similar to what I would call brisket, accompanied by asparagus and potatoes. It was absolutely delicious, and probably one of the first times I'd had rare/medium rare meat. That meal changed how I ordered meat from that point forward - no more well done steaks for this guy ever since.

As we ate, various room mates and friends began to show up. One, two, three at a time they'd arrive. By 10 o'clock or so there was at least 12 of them in all. They were all young and interesting. One was named Evan and had a beard, just like me, which everyone found very funny. Murphy would introduce me to each of them and tell them where I was from and how I'd ended up there. They all said something to the effect of, "Oh, cool!" but it wasn't the same reaction I usually got. There was a different tone in their responses that led me to believe they understood what I was doing and why. They weren't really shocked, or even impressed. They just seemed to get it. Some smoked, most drank, and they all seemed to enjoy life. These were my kind of people.

The experience hanging out with those wonderful folks in Kennewick reminded me of one of the things I missed most about being in Nicaragua - living in community. They just hung out and did life together. We didn't really do that back home. Everybody pretty much kept to themselves and lived their lives compartmentalized from one another, only rarely visiting each other. I couldn't really put my finger on what was so different about living in Nicaragua so much until that night in Kennewick. It was community. That night, and feelings of discouragement or homesickness faded as we enjoyed each other's company. They'd revealed more about what life was all about for me than they'd ever know.

Late that night, after the party died down, somebody directed me to a bed in the basement that I could use. I quickly fell asleep after a great evening of food, drink, and conversation. The west coast awaited me.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #140
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
Good post especially about the community thing. I'm kind of a recluse but like to socialize when camping off the bike on trips. Usually nets ya some good booze from the car campers too
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #141
moellear
n00b

Oddometer: 4
First off, thanks for doing this thread. You have obviously done the trip of a lifetime but to share it to the rest of us is very exceptional. Thanks Evan. I hope to be able to do something like this with my 30 year old Yamaha since I'm younger than my motorcycle, but was recently hired full-time in the real world

Speaking of work, I live & work full-time in Lima. Before working here I never heard of the pork rind factory but being employed at a civil engineering firm we're currently extending the city of Lima's waterline system out to Rudolf Foods and the Westminster area. You remember much about this small itty bitty town?! haha its a small world for me to find a report on someone who stopped in a small area in my neck of the woods..
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post

I gave my presentation about New Song to the Rudolph Foods staff. They were all astounded i'd rode from Toronto before lunch. I felt like a badass, to be honest.

After the presentation I got a private tour of the factory with John, the CEO's son
Sadly the CEO of Rudolf Foods passed away just a few weeks ago. Is that him in the second picture centered in the picture sitting down with white hair?Here's the news out of Lima newspaper...http://www.limaohio.com/news/article...a4bcf6878.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
We went to KewPee, a local legend, apparently the predecessor to Wendy's (identical "frosty").

I just ate there last week!! Its a traditional community diner with great burgers. Glad you made the stop here in Ohio and I wish I could've met you. At the time of this trip I was still attending school in southern Ohio. You are a wise man for taking the trip of a lifetime. Thanks again for sharing. I usually don't respond to reports (just read them and ride-along) but yours sorta hits home for me. Ride safe Evan
moellear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #142
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moellear View Post
First off, thanks for doing this thread. You have obviously done the trip of a lifetime but to share it to the rest of us is very exceptional. Thanks Evan. I hope to be able to do something like this with my 30 year old Yamaha since I'm younger than my motorcycle, but was recently hired full-time in the real world

Speaking of work, I live & work full-time in Lima. Before working here I never heard of the pork rind factory but being employed at a civil engineering firm we're currently extending the city of Lima's waterline system out to Rudolf Foods and the Westminster area. You remember much about this small itty bitty town?! haha its a small world for me to find a report on someone who stopped in a small area in my neck of the woods..

Sadly the CEO of Rudolf Foods passed away just a few weeks ago. Is that him in the second picture centered in the picture sitting down with white hair?Here's the news out of Lima newspaper...http://www.limaohio.com/news/article...a4bcf6878.html

I just ate there last week!! Its a traditional community diner with great burgers. Glad you made the stop here in Ohio and I wish I could've met you. At the time of this trip I was still attending school in southern Ohio. You are a wise man for taking the trip of a lifetime. Thanks again for sharing. I usually don't respond to reports (just read them and ride-along) but yours sorta hits home for me. Ride safe Evan
Wow, yes, small world indeed. Thanks for reading along. Haven't met many people that know Lima exists.

Jim texted me and told me about his dad's passing. I understand he'd been battling sickness (parkinson's, I think?) for quite some time. I got to meet him and his wife and visit their house, out on the farm the article talks about, while on passing through on my trip. I rememeber he told me about a Leica camera he picked off a german soldier in WWII. LOL.

That's him seated in the photo with his son Jim standing on the right.

I'm sure i'll be back through, i'll have to look you up when I am!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #143
themosjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I've been checking back on and off for the last month! Long reading but enjoyable and like your perspective. I've been driving a truck over the road for the last 4 years and seen a lot of the country....just wish it was by motorcycle. The day I found your report I was eating alone at an ihop in goodlettesville tn. It was an old out dated ihop and kinda depressing, especially eating alone. However your report had me sitting there about an hour after I was done daydreaming of my own trip. I live between hickory and boone so most of my rides are on the dual sport towards wilsons creek or with my wife up the mountains. Thanks for lifting my spirits with your words and pictures. John
themosjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #144
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by themosjohn View Post
I've been checking back on and off for the last month! Long reading but enjoyable and like your perspective. I've been driving a truck over the road for the last 4 years and seen a lot of the country....just wish it was by motorcycle. The day I found your report I was eating alone at an ihop in goodlettesville tn. It was an old out dated ihop and kinda depressing, especially eating alone. However your report had me sitting there about an hour after I was done daydreaming of my own trip. I live between hickory and boone so most of my rides are on the dual sport towards wilsons creek or with my wife up the mountains. Thanks for lifting my spirits with your words and pictures. John
Nice words.... I've been enjoying your trip as well. Speaking from your heart and with honesty makes it good

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #145
GHT
Weeee Rider!!!

Oddometer: 162
Thumb

I'm in, thank you for sharing, not only your adventure, but your Faith! It is wonderful to read about young people making a difference! Carry on, I'm waiting for what's around the corner.
'03 Yamaha FJR 1300 (sold)
'06 Suzuki DRZ400SM/S (sold) '06 Suzuki M50 (sold) '05 Kawasaki KLR (sold)
GHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:22 AM   #146
sasha18yug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I have been reading all youre 10 pages....excelent RR ... i wish you good luck in youre quest for the perfect adventure...thanks for sharing this...wish you all the best from Germany...
sasha18yug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #147
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Hope everyone is doing well. Should have some new installments up soon. For those who care, the bandit is still truckin' along great. Carried me to and from Rick's RDV last weekend without a hiccup.

It was great meeting a few of my readers in person. Humbled to know over 23k people have viewed this thread so far.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #148
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
"When I imagined Washington state, I pictured pine forests. I saw also none of that and almost all what appeared to resemble desert. Again, a surprise to me. It was now hot and dry instead if cold and wet."

"I got off the highway and made my way through Pasco, which was reminiscent of Central America - almost every sign was in Spanish. "

Sorry, i just found this to be funny!! My GF's sister lives in kennewick, and i have no idea why!
N-Id-Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #149
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,473
The RDV was over a week ago , Evan, get back on the report !
Kidding, it was nice to meet you at the Black Bear .
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #150
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Great ride report, thanks for sharing!