Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
looks like a great trip - some of the best road riding in the country. I have been through that area twice on my multistrada and my wife on her aprilia. It will be a great trip. Not to give you too many options, but if you're in escalante and want a little something different check this out - www.shootingstardrive-in.com/‎

A bit of kitsch, but really a cool place to spend a night. We've recently moved to Flagstaff to be closer to all the great riding around here. We'll be heading back up that way toward the end of june. Have a great trip. (ps my wife's a blond nurse also, although sometimes her hair is pink) Love the bikes too.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by 413.45 View Post
Glad to see this, I just read your last RR a few weeks ago. Very Good!
I just got home from 13 days up ID,MT.BC,WA,OR,CA,NV thinking about doing RR on it.
When are you leaving?
I live just north of St. George if you need parking for your truck or let me buy you dinner, etc.
Good route, A couple things to consider, instead of taking 20 to I15, stay on 89 thru Panguitch, UT then make that whole loop 143/148 (Beautiful) then drop into Cedar City, UT on 14.
Also south of Spanish Fork, UT I would go east and come down 6/89 and hit 31 and 96 Very fun roads. If time permits. I try to avoid freeways. Just some thoughts for you to mull over.
This is the information I'm looking for!! Great stuff. As the route progresses I try my best to find ANYTHING but freeways (as you may have gathered from the last RR).
We both appreciate the offer for dinner and also to park the truck at your place. That's very generous of you. If we get in too late for dinner at the beginning, we'll definitely do it when we get back in. Oh and I may take you up on the offer to park the truck as I was hoping to talk to the manager of whatever hotel we stay at to see if I could leave it there.

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
subbed! Looking forward to it!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 536
I really enjoyed your last trip. I cant wait to see this one unfold!
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
h2oboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post

Thanks Jeff. We have that on there. Looks like an incredible road!!
Looking at the google map you linked, you do not have Bear Tooth on it. It looks like you're coming into the north entrance to Yellowstone. To do BearTooth you should be on 212 at the NE corner of Yellowstone by Red Lodge MT.

I would have suggested Rattlesnake Grade and Old Spiral Highway in Lewiston but I know you did those on your last trip. Seeing new stuff is usually better in far away places imho.

Looking forward to reading this one.
h2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,347
following along once again....have lots of fun and be well,
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
The Bear Tooth?

I second the suggestion for the Bear Tooth---from Cody, Wyo. to Redlodge Montana-------It's one of the great rides anywhere. Will be following your progress------
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,199
Hey Gus,

What month are you guys thinking about going out there? IIRC, Sturgis is around Aug 5-12 this year. You'll see a lot of, um, slower bikes than your Streetfighters out there...

When I went over some of this route a few years ago, I was surprised at how many bikes there were out West. It turned out that I unknowingly went during bike week. I did meet some cool people when I rolled into Sturgis with CA plates. I even scored a free breakfast out of it when I said I was riding to Boston and back. The guys just had to hear about my route. I joined a cruise through the Black Hills to Mt. Rushmore. The Black Hills were a highlight of my XC trip. For you, this is probable a bit too far east. Maybe next time. BTW, my bike was the fastest bike out there through the Black Hills. I must have passes 50-100 bikes at a time, when allowed. I was on a F650GS Dakar. I can't imagine how many you guys could pass on the ducks...

It's gonna be a great trip!

Jeff G.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oboy View Post
Looking at the google map you linked, you do not have Bear Tooth on it. It looks like you're coming into the north entrance to Yellowstone. To do BearTooth you should be on 212 at the NE corner of Yellowstone by Red Lodge MT.

I would have suggested Rattlesnake Grade and Old Spiral Highway in Lewiston but I know you did those on your last trip. Seeing new stuff is usually better in far away places imho.

Looking forward to reading this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
I second the suggestion for the Bear Tooth---from Cody, Wyo. to Redlodge Montana-------It's one of the great rides anywhere. Will be following your progress------
Thanks guys. I just updated the link. I must have copied and pasted the initial route I had, instead of the updated one. You might have noticed that the image of the route showed the route along Bear-Tooth hwy

Also, we'll be coming from the south so for us that will be on the way out of Yellowstone. Just looking at the street view, it looks epic. Reminds me of when we did Highway 20 in the cascades. I remember riding along certain spots that I had seen in the google street view and as you can imagine, to see these places in person, after the fact, is incredible.

For example, take a look at the street view HERE. I remember seeing this spot on google street-view when I was routing out the trip and just imagining what it would be like to come flying around, I mean "riding" around that turn with that scenery surrounding us. Pictures or words can't describe what the place looks like in person. We were there at the perfect time, in the afternoon. Perfect weather, perfect lighting and hardly a soul around us. Epic....like I expect the areas you guys are describing to be.

Just after that section in the map:

This picture taken HERE (short distance prior to the photo above):

Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #25
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
A friend of mine, Charlie, said the secret to living long and well is to be planning 12 months ahead. He got his Pilot license at the age of 73, flew to Alaska 3 months later, and flew with his Girl Friend well into his 90's. He died 6 months short of his 100th birthday, so there must be something to his philosophy.

When you get to Grand Junction, consider going through Colorado National Monument. It's a short, beautiful ride. Kind of a mini Bryce canyon.

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #26
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDrive View Post
A friend of mine, Charlie, said the secret to living long and well is to be planning 12 months ahead. He got his Pilot license at the age of 73, flew to Alaska 3 months later, and flew with his Girl Friend well into his 90's. He died 6 months short of his 100th birthday, so there must be something to his philosophy.

When you get to Grand Junction, consider going through Colorado National Monument. It's a short, beautiful ride. Kind of a mini Bryce canyon.
Sounds like a smart guy

Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
TripleTee
Over the river

Oddometer: 5,198
So jealous - oh to have two good wrists and elbows again! Enjoy this new adventure and be safe.

Little Foot
TripleTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #28
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
. It's like the second season of a good TV show.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
. It's like the second season of a good TV show.
Oh crap!!! Now THAT'S pressure. Hopefully I don't shit the bed like the producers of Homeland did

Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #30
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Oh crap!!! Now THAT'S pressure. Hopefully I don't shit the bed like the producers of Homeland did
Or the last season of The Walking Dead.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote