User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Beezer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,549
soften hard rubber

sooooo... teach an old dog a new trick. I recently ran into a formula for softening age hardened rubber... couple ounces of wintergreen oil in a pint or so of xylene. I just did some intake boots & they went from rock hard to like new flex in 24 hours. I am astounded at how well it worked. the wintergreen is supposed to have a natural plastisizer in it called meythyl salicylate. the test bits did not swell up noticeably and are still pliable after a couple days sitting on the bench. I put another set in mix yesterday & they show improvement, but not as dramatic as the first set. I intend to leave them in until tomorrow & see if they continue to improve. It's the same mix though, so maybe some fresh materials would speed things up.

I got the oil from a local health food store, another source is homeopathic medicine. I hear that sports medicine uses it too.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Shadow 9er
renegade

Oddometer: 507
That's a great tip! Thanks!
Shadow 9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
sooooo... teach an old dog a new trick. I recently ran into a formula for softening age hardened rubber... couple ounces of wintergreen oil in a pint or so of xylene. I just did some intake boots & they went from rock hard to like new flex in 24 hours. I am astounded at how well it worked. the wintergreen is supposed to have a natural plastisizer in it called meythyl salicylate. the test bits did not swell up noticeably and are still pliable after a couple days sitting on the bench. I put another set in mix yesterday & they show improvement, but not as dramatic as the first set. I intend to leave them in until tomorrow & see if they continue to improve. It's the same mix though, so maybe some fresh materials would speed things up.

I got the oil from a local health food store, another source is homeopathic medicine. I hear that sports medicine uses it too.
It would be a really great tip if the results last. We can often restore the looks of rubber but then it goes back to it's aged appearance after a month. The treatment is needed again. Please report if your method seems to have longer lasting results.

Terrific tip if it stays soft.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Beezer OP
Beastly Adventurer

so.... it's about 3 weeks since I made the original post. I also treated a 2nd pair of intake boots, and today I installed them. the first set I did had some small cracks (before the treatment) so I used the better set. anyway, all the boots are still soft as when they came out of the mix.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
A great tip ! Now if I can remember it for the next time I need it .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Gonzodog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
That will work with synthetic rubbers used in the fuel system. Other natural rubber type compounds like tires, etc will be excessively swollen by the xylene.

"Human culture, the antidote to intelligence." Reg Morrison
Gonzodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I got the [wintergreen] oil from a local health food store, another source is homeopathic medicine. I hear that sports medicine uses it too.
Also (from previous posts):
"With nothing to lose, I immersed them in lacquer thinner and checked them twice a day. The things swell up and you would swear that they are ruined, but they shrink back to normal in a few days. Some guys also use wintergreen available at drug stores and make some sort of brew mixing it with the solvent. I just use the lacquer thinner until the boots soften enough and then soak the boots in the wintergreen for a day. As they start to shrink, the wintergreen sucks in to the rubber. The wintergreen at a cheaper price is also known as Thor Tire Prep #12 and available at kart shops to soften racing tires."
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
Also (from previous posts):
"With nothing to lose, I immersed them in lacquer thinner and checked them twice a day. The things swell up and you would swear that they are ruined, but they shrink back to normal in a few days. Some guys also use wintergreen available at drug stores and make some sort of brew mixing it with the solvent. I just use the lacquer thinner until the boots soften enough and then soak the boots in the wintergreen for a day. As they start to shrink, the wintergreen sucks in to the rubber. The wintergreen at a cheaper price is also known as Thor Tire Prep #12 and available at kart shops to soften racing tires."
The wintergreen oil also is great for use on badly rusted fasteners. We used it on flange joint bolts on steam lines.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Beezer OP
Beastly Adventurer

bump,,,,

about 10 weeks now & the test boots are still soft. the other set is on the bike & running fine
Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,269
Cool tip, thanks for posting!
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Beezer OP
Beastly Adventurer

almost 5 months now..... test parts still soft