ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 128 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #376
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
I had one of mine (478) replaced with a refurbished unit last month. No trouble with transferring my Lifetime maps, no issues with registering the new unit with myGarmin.

AFAIK, Garmin policy is to replace the unit with a refurb and then repair the faulty unit to new spec. At that point it becomes part of the replacement inventory. In the case of the 276c, this continued until Garmin ran out of parts.

I'll probably have my second unit done this winter.
Thats great to know! I did notice on the list of repair rates the 276c says not supported while the 478 says $170. If $170 gets me a factory refurb'd unit, I'm all in.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #377
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
I've got a 478 that I bought used off of craigslist. The thing works great when its plugged in at home, but if its plugged into a car or the motorcycle, it cuts off every few miles. I've even used the exact same AC adapter in my truck and it still cuts off. The cable on the motorcycle is brand new and even that cuts off. The battery is charged so it looks like it would just switch to battery power but it doesnt.
Edit - One other caveat, when you turn the power off on the bike, it goes back to battery power?!

My concern is, I want to send it to Garmin and just pay the $170 for service but I have had the unit open to check the cables and try to make sure it wasnt just a loose connection. Its not under warranty so I guess that shouldnt matter.

The other thing, with the unit being so old will they even attempt to repair it or just take my $170 and tell me I need a new unit?

That would happen on my 478 also. Seems that intermittent losses of power (from the bike's wiring? from a loose / failing battery?) would shut the unit down.

I took care of it with software. I selected the "don't shut off if power is disconnected" option somewhere in the system menu.

All good now.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #378
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
That would happen on my 478 also. Seems that intermittent losses of power (from the bike's wiring? from a loose / failing battery?) would shut the unit down.

I took care of it with software. I selected the "don't shut off if power is disconnected" option somewhere in the system menu.

All good now.
Mine is already on that setting. And it fails on the bike wiring, the cigarette plug, and even the AC plug in a vehicle (my Jeep has an AC outlet) - All three are different harnesses. The crazy thing is when you plug it in indoors - with the same AC plug - and shake the shit out of it, it wont fail.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #379
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
Mine is already on that setting. And it fails on the bike wiring, the cigarette plug, and even the AC plug in a vehicle (my Jeep has an AC outlet) - All three are different harnesses. The crazy thing is when you plug it in indoors - with the same AC plug - and shake the shit out of it, it wont fail.
Does it just wink off?

Probably a vibration issue that you can't replicate by just shaking it.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #380
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Does it just wink off?

Probably a vibration issue that you can't replicate by just shaking it.
You're probably right. Its on... and then its off. No warning or anything.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #381
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,452
Has anyone ever tried replacing the built-in maps on their 478 with a custom set?

Mapinstall (it seems) would install maps into built-in storage, if there was space, which there of course isn't. It doesn't seem to show what maps are installed or have an option to delete them.

Without a removable memory card installed, I'm not entirely sure what happens if you select a range of quads in Mapsource and try to "send to device". I assume it fails?

It's pretty easy to convert from Mapsource to an .img and supposedly "Webupdater.exe /upload_file path={pathto}.img" will upload the img to the built-in but a) it's not clear if it works on the 478 b) I'd read it erased all maps so I assume I'd lose the base autoroute and marine maps as well as the citynav?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #382
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Has anyone ever tried replacing the built-in maps on their 478 with a custom set?

Mapinstall (it seems) would install maps into built-in storage, if there was space, which there of course isn't. It doesn't seem to show what maps are installed or have an option to delete them.

Without a removable memory card installed, I'm not entirely sure what happens if you select a range of quads in Mapsource and try to "send to device". I assume it fails?

It's pretty easy to convert from Mapsource to an .img and supposedly "Webupdater.exe /upload_file path={pathto}.img" will upload the img to the built-in but a) it's not clear if it works on the 478 b) I'd read it erased all maps so I assume I'd lose the base autoroute and marine maps as well as the citynav?
Yes it's possible but you will lose all of your maps other than autoroute. That's how I installed all of city nav.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #383
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

Yeah, you can overwrite the maps in internal memory, but its not a trivial exercise. Lot's of trial and error to squeeze as many map segments as possible. I did it successfully last summer. I thinbk it was the instructions from here that worked: http://www.noeman.org/gsm/garmin-tut...eetpilots.html

Good luck.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #384
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,875
Anyone else notice "ghosting" of your displayed custom Mapsource generated route on the 478 screen? In other words, If I build a route, upload it, then run it. I sometimes see a abnormality. A second straight line route leg as well as the proper, conformed to road leg. If I zoom out, it corrects. GPS direct though is always correct, you just ignore that errant route line.
My buddie has the same issue with his Mapsource generated custom routes on his 478 as well. Odd

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #385
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Anyone else notice "ghosting" of your displayed custom Mapsource generated route on the 478 screen? In other words, If I build a route, upload it, then run it. I sometimes see a abnormality. A second straight line route leg as well as the proper, conformed to road leg. If I zoom out, it corrects. GPS direct though is always correct, you just ignore that errant route line.
My buddie has the same issue with his Mapsource generated custom routes on his 478 as well. Odd
Yep run into this a lot on mine on both the 478 & 376c. I still haven't figured out what causes it, but I'm much more likely to see it on routes that I've spent a lot of time manipulating on the MapSource. You are right that you only see it at specific zoom levels. Usually if you zoom out some, it fixes it.

I know one of the GPS programs, GPSBabel or the other one has a specific feature to remove these oddity's from your routes.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #386
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I know one of the GPS programs, GPSBabel or the other one has a specific feature to remove these oddity's from your routes.
Tell me more

Old 05-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #387
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Tell me more
I knew as soon as I said it, I wouldn't be able to find it. :

I use both WindGDB3 & GPSBabel a lot, and I really thought it was in one of these, but I just looked and no luck? Maybe it was in an older version and got taken out. I have both WindGDB3 V3.63 & V3.70 and GPSBabel 1.3.3, 1.3.6 and just downloaded v1.4.4, but no luck in any of those.

When I find it again, it will dawn on me and I'll come back to this thread to post it. I know it was something like "fix erroneous route errors" or something to that effect.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #388
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Ok thanks. Appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #389
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Huh, There's a new firmware update for the 478.

LINK

Adds "Support for new 010-10517-02 battery pack"

Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #390
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Ah geez, after much soul searching and reviewing the Montana thread, I bit the bullet and went and got the russian 2 gig card and upgraded my 478 to the latest version of City Navigator North America.