Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #61
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
Spot is great to have, and Craig and I carry one regularly, but in this case, with road access to our location, local rescue was the best course of action. Cell phone reception was available, so 911 was called. With Spot, the SOS would go to Houston, Texas, who would then call the appropriate Canadian authourities, in this case the RCMP and Rescue Coordination Center in Halifax. They would determine which resources to send at that time. It was a faster response time through cell phone. One thing to keep in mind though when using cell phones, take a GPS with you, as cell phone locators used by the 911 dispatch are on the nearest cell tower, in our case 6km away from our location. It took me 5 minutes to convince the dispatcher of our actual location.
Ok, looks like you had that covered.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #62
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
You mention Wilderness first aid (not something we have here)
If you investigate through the American Red Cross, something may be available in your area.

**edit**. I noticed that you are located in New Zealand, and Wilderness Courses are available here:

http://www.tripleonecare.co.nz/First+Aid+Courses/wilderness+medic.html

Hope that helps!

I know that Wilderness First Aid Courses were available through the Advanced Life Support Institute in Conway, NH where I took my ALS courses in 2001.

The courses are well worth looking for and can add another level of peace of mind.

C-Stain screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:36 AM
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #63
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

First Ortho Appointment out if the way this afternoon. Docs say that I'm healing up well and they removed my stitches, an put me in a nifty removable boot cast.

Ankle:

Knee:

Tibia:

And some bling for my wheelchair:

My next appointment is in 30 days or so, and at that time I should be ready to start physio and weight bearing.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #64
00ninja
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Get well soon.
00ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #65
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 479
Cool ride! Take it over any sweet jumps yet?
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #66
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Ankle:

Knee:
Egads, that clears up exactly what it means to have screws and plates installed as suspension accessories.

Quote:
Love it! You'll need knobbies for the gnarly sections, though.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #67
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool ride! Take it over any sweet jumps yet?
Not yet - it's not quite as stable in the rough sections as your Ural, the suspension sucks and its vastly underpowered!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #68
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

So, initially, I had said that I would post some details behind the accident. I've looked at the pictures that FredGreen and Nate supplied, and have yet to see the pics on my own camera because its stored on the bike at my buddy's place. But after some serious thought and reflection, this is what I figure happened.

LilGreenBooger and I were running ahead of Fred and the Ural. Nate was in the lead and like he said, was riding like a bit of a hooligan. Riding behind him is a real treat because he is an excellent riding and what he can do with a bike is amazing. While he didn't wheelie the KLR out of any puddles, his skill is impressive.

Now, I wasn't trying to keep up to him. I know that I'm not near as good a rider as he is and my comfort level is nowhere near as high. However, I was picking my line through the ruts and was doing so at around 35-45kph. I don't even think I was out of second gear.

I watched Nate disappear around a corner and chose a line off on the shoulder where it looked MUCH smoother than the ruts I was riding in and then my intention was to move my like into the less shallower ruts ahead.

As near as I can figure and with help from Fred and Nate, the line I was following turned very soft and must have taken the front which caused me to over-correct.

I believe the over-correction coupled with the fact that I always ride with a cramp buster throttle rocker caused me to goose the throttle as I was low-siding and increase rear wheel spin. I dabbed my left foot trying to stop the low side (which was way too late) and that's when the fracture happened. I came off the bike in 25' from start to finish.

I shut down the engine and screamed. I crawled away from the machine and put myself in a position of comfort. I did move back towards the bike and honked an SOS for the guys to let them know I was down. I knew the leg was fractured and I knew it was going to be a difficult extrication.

When Nate showed up, he asked me if I was taking a break, and I told him I broke my leg. His response, was "Holy shit, dude! Are you sure?"

"Yup" I told him. "I'd like a smoke". Well because I was lying on my lighter, Nate had the ingenuity to light a smoke for me off the hot head pipe of his KLR. You know those KLR riders...anything to save a buck!

When Fred showed up he called 911 and had a poor cell connection. We were able to give them an accurate GPS coordinate, but the Cell Phone technology that the Province uses put us over 6Km away. It took a lot of convincing to get the 911 call taker to believe us. And for sake of example, the coordinates off my old eXplorist 500 and Fred's Garmin Montana were just minutes apart.

The Springfield Volunteer Fire Department Medical First Responders were the first to arrive on scene about 30 minutes after the initial call. I know that they have been recently trained and the first thing out of their mouths were, "We can't help him unless he wants us to." The next responder asked, "Do you want us to look at your leg?" My response was "No!". As an EMS provider since 1995, I knew that the fracture was bad, and I knew I wouldn't be able to be touched without adequate pain control.

The Ambulance arrived about 1hr 15 minutes after the initial call. The Supervisor Unit arrived as well. I don't know if S19 was dispatched because I am a Medic, or if he was just in the area. Whatever reason, I was glad to recognize the guys who stepped out. I'd actually worked with two of the three.

They started an IV and gave me an initial 5mg of Morphine. After it took effect, they gave me another 2.5mg and moved me on a backboard to transfer me to a stretcher. Once in the Ambulance they got to work removing my boot. I begged them NOT to cut my Sidi Adventure Gor-Tex boots, but alas, they had to. They gave me another 2.5mg of Morphine and 2mg of Versed (Amnesia causing Benzo) and it took close to 7 minutes to get the boot off. Apparently, I screamed the whole time.

The ride to the main road was 1 hour and 22 minutes. During my transit out, Nate rode my F800 out to meet my buddy Mel, who came immediately when I called him with his trailer in tow. So the boys were able to get my bike out, get back to Nate's and get out before I even got out of the woods.

On arrival at the hospital, I had been given about 25mg of Morphine, and was dreading my trip the x-ray machine. They confirmed the break, and being concerned about compartment syndrome, arranged transport to the Provincial Trauma Center. Now, technically, I didn't meet the criteria for a chopper ride. However, my former partner is the LifeFlight Supervisor and needed to approve the launch. He did so and the crew that arrived I had worked with before as a driver. (When the chopper goes down for maintenance, they call in some of us old timers to drive the crews in a ground ambulance.) The LifeFlight crew juiced me up pretty good using Morphine, Versed, Ativan, Zofran, Benedryl, (turns out I'm allergic to Fentanyl), Gravol and Ketamine. I don't remember the flight or the rest of the night.

I received an IM Nail repair to my Tibia. I should be back to weight bearing in about a month.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I know that the cramp buster should have been removed before I started off road, but had forgotten to. I'll never make that mistake again.

If anyone is wondering, point A is approximately where the accident occured, and the last point is the receiving hospital. The whole 58Km took almost 2.5 hours.

View Larger Map

Just a note about the gear I was wearing as well. I was certainly ATGATT.

Jacket - Tourmaster Transition II Jacket
Pants - Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0
Boots - SIDI Adventure Gore-Tex
Gloves - Snap On Armoured Mechanics Gloves
Helmet - Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer

My pants were sacrificed for the greater good and I think I can get the boots repaired. Everything else was unscathed.

C-Stain screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:55 PM Reason: Added ATGATT Info
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #69
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
At the risk of offending everyone involved....

Why you didn't you stuff Mr Stain into the Ural and drive him closer to help?

A couple of reasons to ask this:
The road looks in reasonable condition so shouldn't be too uncomfortable to travel on.
He's a paramedic so should be able to splint the leg reasonably, equally I appreciate he's in the best position to decide what the best course of action is.
It sounds like there was a long wait for help, could that have been shortened?

The primary reason I ask this that over the last few years (as we age, most of my riding buddies are in their late 50's) I have been involved in incidents resulting in broken collar bones, feet, ankles etc usually in remote places. Our general solution has been to ride the patient out as they were capable of doing that rather than waiting 6 hours for an airlift. Again, I realise there is a point where you can't ride out and I'm interested in your opinion of this particular incident so I can store away your experience in my memory banks for when we need it next (probably the end of May, big off-road meeting in our central mountain area ).

Hope your feeling better, looked like a great place to ride.
It was such a bad break, that I honestly feel if he wasn't wearing calf length rigid MX boots, he would have had wicked protrusion, and may have lost his lower leg. It only takes 14 pounds of direct lateral force to break the tibia...and he dabbed his leg when his bike started to lowside. He's lucky.

We thought of the ural, but I think it would have been six of one and half a dozen of another - to ride the ural smooth enough to keep him from agony, you'd have to ride slow....which would have taken time...about the same amount of time that the ambulance took to get there. Also, there's the discomfort of splinting a good friend. I'm a Fire Medic, and Fred's in the Military - we would have taken care of him and got him out if we had to, but I think the correct decisions were made.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #70
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

My next appointment is in 30 days or so, and at that time I should be ready to start physio and weight bearing.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #71
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

I'm glad you're doing better man. I'm trying to order some tires (tyres?) from LP, so I'll probably drop in next week.

drink your milk, stay off drugs and stay in school...

or was that drink your drugs, stay off school and stay in milk? I can never remember...

stay in drugs, drink off school?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #72
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
I'm a Fire Medic, and Fred's in the Military - we would have taken care of him and got him out if we had to, but I think the correct decisions were made.
This is big. I'm a huge fan of being prepared. It doesn't always stop you from dying, but it goes a long way to helping.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #73
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote:
I tried to get a chopper called to airlift him from the site, that didn't happen, so they ambulanced him to the hospital, took one look at the leg, then called a chopper to come and get him and take him to Halifax!
hey Fred...

a KLR guy and an ex KLR guy on the ride and ya didn't duct tape a chunk of alder to that leg and haul his butt outta there?

and where was that Canadian SAR chopper, i heard ya had the red phone line number to headquarters?

i do have the "before" photo of that KLR to contribute

C-Stain, best wishes from the sunny south on your recovery, hope everything works out and you're back on the 800 soon.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #74
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
C-Stain, best wishes from the sunny south on your recovery, hope everything works out and you're back on the 800 soon.
Thanks JD!

And don't worry - the KLR guys were cutting stout birch trees to make a splint, of course using my hatchet because they didn't want to spend money on their own.

Like I mentioned before - couldn't have asked for a better pair to get injured and have around.

Appreciate the best wishes - I'm already itching to get back out riding.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #75
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
hey Fred...

a KLR guy and an ex KLR guy on the ride and ya didn't duct tape a chunk of alder to that leg and haul his butt outta there?

and where was that Canadian SAR chopper, i heard ya had the red phone line number to headquarters?

i do have the "before" photo of that KLR to contribute

Hi Dave, funny you should mention this. I thought about both the splint and hauling him out, the boots did a good enough splint job and I asked Craig if we could get him out in the hack, he wanted none of that. As for the chopper, I did my best to get one to him, just got the wrong guy to answer the phone. I now carry the number of the right person to call for an emergency airlift!
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote