Oddometer: 44
Some pics by Yana Stancheva

Old 05-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #242
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Nice pics.

Day 4
Unfortunately, the route for today has been canceled. There are parts of mountains collapsed on the route leaving too little for a great race. With the others of the team Memo Tours we drive the last special of day three in reverse order. We drive in system D, myself as a mother goose in the lead. Halfway through the special we turn towards the sea again and burned Freddy (our mechanic on 300EXC 2 stroke) his last liters of premix on the asphalt and he had to be pushed the last kilometers to the fuel station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsoCxNE7kHs

In the afternoon I take Edwin (second mechanic) by the hand and ride the route of Day 1. We drive very fast and the rear of my bike is flying in all directions. The rear tire is pretty much done. After returning to the camp I replace my rear wheel (with a used AC10 tire and mousse) and air filter (not really necessary). Ready to race again.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #243
E-Jay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
@Motorollie: Where did you find the pictures bij Yana Stancheva?
Stalked her on facebook?
Edit: see the pictures by Kursad Ergan: https://www.facebook.com/ergan.kursad
E-Jay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #244
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorollie View Post
Yana Stancheva
Kursad Ergan

Both can be found on FB.

@Brodovitch: do you have contact details from Christos for rally photos?

@David P. : Which photographer took those pictures?

Ollie, you can contact Christos on FB, send him a message (Christos Diamantis) I'm sure he will be more than happy to oblige

Got my pics from Alessio as well, well worth the wait as usual, plus gotta say after seeing Yana's work both at this one and the 24 Hour back in November, I am a big fan.

I'm on Easter holidays for a few days more but will start a write up when I get back. Have to admit I am really enjoying everyone's photos and Gezwinde's write ups, especially the videos as I suffer from acute racer's amnesia and hardly remember a day's route unless I crash
Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #245
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Well done guys!

Thanks for the great photos videos and reports as well, I really enjoyed reading them and watching them.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #246
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, it costs a lot of time but it is worth it.

Day 5
This would be the thoughest day, I'm looking forward to it. I start the first special at a leisurely pace. I drive smooth and flowing, less racy than the other days. At the end of the special we come through the shady side of the mountain with still quite a lot of snow.

The liaison requires a lot of navigate which is fun, 100m left, 150m T-junction etc. Then follows a tunnel that was getting colder as you get further till the end. The remote service I have time enough for a Souflaki, Coke and some talking to other participants.

http://youtu.be/m6t-X0cPEqQ

The second special is 117km and of the fast type again. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere at a checkpoint I got offered some strong liquir. Why not, we are in Greece. At the moment I sip the drink the people at the nearby house started cheering.

At km 80 I see clouds of dust of the rider in front of me. At a checkpoint he noticed me gives gas again, I get a little lost but, because it is easy to navigate (tracks and distinct features) I can follow the route on a solid pace. Eventually I find out that my ICO is indicating to little, how that is possible is not clear to me. The last 5km are a wide open red gravel road, the dust cloud is fresher again which works like a red rag to a bull. I get the English Desert Rose rider in sight. Like mad man we drive to the finish where I end up at 2m from him. Bouncing by adrenaline we give our the time card to the orga. Other participants come in under the same conditions with a hefty kick and full of adrenaline.

In the liaison there is an error in the roadbook. The organization is called and they will send somebody. Eventually we decided not to wait but to drive on GPS. Because there is a road flushed away by a mountain we must take a detour. Around 19hrs we arrive at the bivouac.

I finish today at the 29e plce what brings me to 39 in the standings. Today only 4 minutes penalty, I am learning.

http://youtu.be/XZN-Xp26VrA

GezwindeSpoed screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 11:06 PM
GezwindeSpoed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #247
motorollie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Jay View Post
@Motorollie: Where did you find the pictures bij Yana Stancheva?
Stalked her on facebook?
Edit: see the pictures by Kursad Ergan: https://www.facebook.com/ergan.kursad
https://www.facebook.com/stancheva.yana
Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #248
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

The final day (ready uploading in 1h)

Day 6
Today there will tricky navigating in the first part of the special. Immediately the search for a narrow overgrown path start in the special. I got lost in a village because my ICO is deviating. I had the wheel circumference adjusted, but the deviation is not constant. Later it stopped working completely indicating a broken wire in the signal wire. As a backup I have a bicycle computer but that has to be resetted every situation. I find my way back to the right track. Later in the trial, navigating became easier and can pace go up and I navigate without trip meter.

I ended up 39th time which is not so bad through all the problems.

http://youtu.be/RFUv8CLDYnI

The liaison also requiers some navigated, sometimes I can follow an African Twin rider (who is pretty fast) but sometimes I have to pay attention myself. With only a few minutes to spare I come in at the finish.

After a pita giros we go to the ceremony. It appears that I have the 3rd prize in the M3 class. Most prize winner take their bike up to the stage, mine is already on the truck. I ask a bicycle of on of the locals and ride up the ramp.

3rd in the M3 class, 27th overall with 45 penalty minutes.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #249
paco104
n00b

Oddometer: 9