Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #17011
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Just did 370 miles today ( mixed 140 highway miles, the rest back roads ) and averaged 45 MPG ( per the computer ). 800xc with stock exhaust and tires. Did about 80 MPH down the highway with the panniers off. My reserve light comes on around 180 miles or so and it always takes 3.8 gallons at the pump. I'm guessing I could do 220-240 miles on a tank before I'm walking.

The Tiger's range isn't what I was expecting but it is an amazing bike. Its too fun and functional to complain about the range. For those looking for ultra range, get a Rotopax, strap it to the back, the front, side or anywhere it fits and go. Tank size shouldn't limit anyone's possibilities.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #17012
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Winter/Summer, makes no difference to me, I just love twisting the throttle and hearing that beautiful triple sing way too much to worry about fuel consumption
I hear that!
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #17013
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
It's been said there's not a road in the country with a fuel stop greater than 130 miles.
by who?

for example, out west in WY there are remote ADV routes that you need over 200 mi range till the next gas station.
with a loaded with gear 800 getting maybe 40mpg (or less) you could be walking w/o extra fuel along.

for alot of our interesting ADV rides/routes we do a 200mi range is the safe #. sure you can find gas earlier, but that involves a boring & long out and backs just to fill back up. if you have the range, you can go the fun way. they guy w/o a 200mi range is not invited.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:10 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #17014
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
took my forks off today to send in and get rebuilt. also took the headers off to get the cat cut out. should hopefully have it all put back together late next week or the next...
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #17015
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
by who?

for example, out west in WY there are remote ADV routes that you need over 200 mi range till the next gas station.
with a loaded with gear 800 getting maybe 40mpg (or less) you could be walking w/o extra fuel along.

for alot of our interesting ADV rides/routes we do a 200mi range is the safe #. sure you can find gas earlier, but that involves a boring & long out and backs just to fill back up. if you have the range, you can go the fun way. they guy w/o a 200mi range is not invited.

That's why god invented the ROTOPAX.

I don't think I ever said you don't need range. And if you read the whole thread you'll have a better understanding where the statement came from. There are only a couple of ADV bikes made that get more than a couple of hundred miles UNLESS you do pack extra fuel. That's what I do.

EDIT: "By Who" - I'll have to find the quote. It related to road bikes and range. Probly from one of our illustrious journalists. ;)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #17016
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
Just did 370 miles today ( mixed 140 highway miles, the rest back roads ) and averaged 45 MPG ( per the computer ). 800xc with stock exhaust and tires. Did about 80 MPH down the highway with the panniers off. My reserve light comes on around 180 miles or so and it always takes 3.8 gallons at the pump. I'm guessing I could do 220-240 miles on a tank before I'm walking.

The Tiger's range isn't what I was expecting but it is an amazing bike. Its too fun and functional to complain about the range. For those looking for ultra range, get a Rotopax, strap it to the back, the front, side or anywhere it fits and go. Tank size shouldn't limit anyone's possibilities.

Exactly.
This has been my point from the git-go of this whole mileage discussion. It just doesn't make any difference to most any of us what range the tiger has. If you need more you prepare for it. There are a lot that have tried to cloud the issue and whine about what's said, but in the end the Tiger is a great bike. If you want to use it for long distance it will work, and work well. And have fun doing it. It also works great as an urban commuter and around town scooter, it's very easy to ride, and it's very fast. Cutting traffic in the LA basin is just a hoot. I must pass thousands of cars. Now THAT is eco-friendly!

A lot of riders of these bikes have been riding for a VERY long time, and a lot have owned a LOT of other bikes. It's telling of the bike model when you have that kind of following. Yeah, there are some posers, and me-too's, and noobs, but there are a lot of knowledgable riders that have chosen THIS bike. Doing it all over again I would still choose it. Whether it got 38mpg or 48mpg it was never a consideration for me.

I never chose it as an enviro-friendly option either. I chose it as a performance bike.

Maybe dljockey's buddy will let him try his out, then he might have a better idea if he thought the bike was right for him or not. I can tell you it's absolutely nothing like the DR650. For whatever range you need, setup the bike to do that and go have some fun.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #17017
yepimabiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Rear wheel torq spec ?

I have been lurking in here for about a yr . My question is what is the ft lbs for tightening the rear wheel bolt ? The original one was torqued and deformed they thought it was done when i adjusted the chain ! But i did not torque it down that hard .When the wheel started to pinch down i stopped and backed it off . Has anyone else had this happen to them ? Dealer is getting me a new one under warranty . Also while it was in being checked out they did the newest tune . Appearently there have been about 4 new tunes since i was in there last yr . It did run a lil smoother and seemed to have a lil more power on the bottom end . Thanks for any info . 2012 tiger 800 xc
yepimabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #17018
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,857
You need to follow the MFG torque spec or it typically you stand to crush the inner spacer which takes out the wheel bearings. Couldent say what your Tigers torque spec is but either of the earlier Tigers I had were around 60 ftlbs.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #17019
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
by who?

Don't forget new header nuts and crush washers
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #17020
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Shouldn't we get better MPG with winter gas and cooler air?
No. Colder air is denser, hence creates more drag. Furthermore, with colder, denser air, more oxygen is making it into the intakes, so the fuel injection system has to compensate by injecting more fuel. This is why engines make more power when breathing cold air.

Plus the winter gas blend delivers lower efficiency.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #17021
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
20% Less !!!
Never had an aftermarket exhaust on any of my street bikes (installed an FMF on my 250 dirt bike with a jet kit)
Maybe I should stay with the stock since I am happy with the performance and very happy with the mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The general consensus is that the arrow map will reduce your mpg by maybe ~20% (someone can correct me if they think my numbers are way off). Several people seem to be succesful in running various aftermarket exhausts (i.e. Leo Vince) with the standard map and that seems to not reduce mpg. I may go this route.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #17022
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Good info, any other recommended brands that reduce weight and keep the mileage and don't break the bank account? I opt for the arrow because it's a recommended by triumph, but now I do not see the advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
The Arrow pipe is SUPER expensive too. I have a Scorpion that sounds lovely (has a removable baffle for when you want a bit more stealth....nver fitted mine though ) and uses the standard map. I get about 47ish on my daily commute.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #17023
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Good info, any other recommended brands that reduce weight and keep the mileage and don't break the bank account? I opt for the arrow because it's a recommended by triumph, but now I do not see the advantage.
There are a LOT of very happy owners with either version of the Leo Vince can, either the stainless one (about $250) or the carbon fiber one (about $350). The db insert can be trimmed back inside for a nice bark while still remaining reasonably quiet. I haven't heard of anyone re-mapping for one either. Can't comment on effect on mileage, but how hard you twist or how fast you go seems to have the most.

Spark arrestor is an additional option and suggested if you ride USFS roads.

Aram will give you a good price on either model: www.solomotoparts.com
Email them for a ADV price, refered by Chris Brown. Doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, have seen (heard) a few with the Arrow and in my opinion it's way too quiet.
I have not ridden one though, so cannot comment on performance, or sound going down the road.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #17024
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
I use an oval Fuel Exhaust, but really only to keep the width down with being able to mount the Jesse cases closer to the bike and save about an inch of width. Lot of money per inch I guess, but I like it better that way:

The exhaust is slightly louder than the OEM, but much narrower - which is what I wanted to achieve. I don't mind the noise all too much but overall I wish the Tiger would be less noisy in general. It's annoyingly loud, even with the OEM exhaust, with lots of annoying noise coming from the engine.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #17025
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Good day all,
Thanks for all the replies to my question about MPG. I really appreciate it.
Although my enviro footprint, total cost of ownership etc are all important to me, I'm mostly concerned with how far I can go on a tank of fuel. Like Dirtmonkey said earlier, we ride in a lot of out the way places where fuel may not be readily available. I've ridden the Roadie and the XC and they seem like fantastic bikes!
Come on. You are just a tree huggger and want to reduce your carbon foot print.

I like the Tiger XC. I road one in WVa. The engine is soooooo much fun. But when my friend filled up he got 38 mpg.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote