ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #59161
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 525
Mike, check this out,

http://www.ktmwheelsports.com/other_..._inventory.asp

I really thought hard about one of these before pulling the trigger on the Tiger.

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #59162
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,616
990 there for under 8k. Maybe some talking can bring the price down.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #59163
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,298
There are a couple 990's there. I dunno, I went in looking at bikes and the guy basically blew me off, not really personable at all and eneded up just ignoring me. Kinda pissed me off.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #59164
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

So I found a deal on a bit more aggressive type bike. And despite the fact that I despise chains and tube tires... I think I'm going to give it a shot. Worst case, I'll be able to sell or trade it in 6 months or a year and get back what I'll pay for it.
with the New 1190 coming, the guys who rode theirs for street bikes will probably start selling their 9X0's. Too bad you never make it this way, you can demo** mine.

One of the referees bought a Tenere and installed the same engine guards. Can't believe anyone could possibly drag them. I keep forgetting to send him your link

**Demo doesn't mean demolish!!!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #59165
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
Mike, check this out,

http://www.ktmwheelsports.com/other_..._inventory.asp

I really thought hard about one of these before pulling the trigger on the Tiger.

Dave
Cool! I knew they had some new ones discounted, so I was thinking about heading over there today. Didn't realize they had a used one too.

I love the sound of the new 1190, but with an expected base price at $17,000, there's no way I can swing it. You're right though, we might see a handful more 9x0's for sale.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #59166
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Cool! I knew they had some new ones discounted, so I was thinking about heading over there today. Didn't realize they had a used one too.

I love the sound of the new 1190, but with an expected base price at $17,000, there's no way I can swing it. You're right though, we might see a handful more 9x0's for sale.
Guy I work with is also thinking about getting a 990. We are heading up ther at lunchtime to check them out. Should be there around noonish.

Man it's been 25 years or so since I've been to Wheelsports. Only bikes I every remember seeing there there were Husky's.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #59167
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Well it was my favorite color, ktm 990 adventure with only 3800 miles, asking only $7500.
I dislike chain maintenance / tube tires as well, and the oil changes on the 990 is a bit of a pain from what I gather - but the 990 is an absolute blast to ride.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #59168
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
There are a couple 990's there. I dunno, I went in looking at bikes and the guy basically blew me off, not really personable at all and eneded up just ignoring me. Kinda pissed me off.
That is typical for that shop.

back in my milk & honey (money) days I went in there quite a few times looking to spend $, but it was like I wasn't in his cool club so they did not want to sell to me.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #59169
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
That is typical for that shop.

back in my milk & honey (money) days I went in there quite a few times looking to spend $, but it was like I wasn't in his cool club so they did not want to sell to me.

I felt the same way. He acted like if you want to buy it fine if not fine but dont bother him with any questions. The main problem with buying a new one was having to spend more $ on crash bars and a skid plate. Seems like if you are spending that much money on a bike like that it should come with that stuff. I did get a test ride on the used one.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #59170
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Odd. I had a fine experience today, other than he doesn't want to budge on that price. I think Ben and friend did as well. No complaints.

Did a test ride on the thing. Seems like a fun bike, didn't blow my socks off necessarily, but I still think that's the direction I'm headed. I think the suspension was adjusted all funky on it. Lots of dive in the forks, but rough ride from the back. Felt like the preload was at minimum up front and maximum on the rear. The forks were also dropped in the trees about half an inch or so, so that may not have helped any.

Front tire was probably around 60%, rear around 40%. Chain and rear sprocket maybe around 50%.

I'm not sold on that one. I don't like the thought of spending $8800 (OTD) on a bike that will need $400 in tubes, tires, chain, and sprockets in the coming months. Plus his financing, if I wanted to keep some cash for parts, was through the roof, but that may be normal for a used bike?!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #59171
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Odd. I had a fine experience today, other than he doesn't want to budge on that price. I think Ben and friend did as well. No complaints.

Did a test ride on the thing. Seems like a fun bike, didn't blow my socks off necessarily, but I still think that's the direction I'm headed. I think the suspension was adjusted all funky on it. Lots of dive in the forks, but rough ride from the back. Felt like the preload was at minimum up front and maximum on the rear. The forks were also dropped in the trees about half an inch or so, so that may not have helped any.

Front tire was probably around 60%, rear around 40%. Chain and rear sprocket maybe around 50%.

I'm not sold on that one. I don't like the thought of spending $8800 (OTD) on a bike that will need $400 in tubes, tires, chain, and sprockets in the coming months. Plus his financing, if I wanted to keep some cash for parts, was through the roof, but that may be normal for a used bike?!

Steve had a good experience as well. He likes the new prior year model (2011 I think) but is on the fence about whether to buy a new bike or save some $ with something used.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #59172
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,731
Funny little story about bikes and kids.

I normally walk to and from work, but some days I'm just running behind and instead of taking 15 minutes to walk, I need to get there in 2 minutes, so I ride in.

Today, by happenstance, was the day that the elementary school kids come to the station and wipe their boogers all over the firetrucks and police cars and ask intellectually stimulating questions like: "have you ever shot anybody" and "what does that do?" (repeated a thousand times over as they point to everything in sight).

I was running late today and rode the WRR into work, oblivious to the fact that it was the day for the kiddie tour.

I pull in the parking lot and there is this massive pile of rugrats getting schooled on the police cruiser.... and as they hear the bike they all turn around as one huge mass and stare at it, start pointing, and some of them begin jumping up and down in total awe. Every single one of them literally turned their back to, and totally ignored, the police car and the officer that was giving the tour to focus on "look, a dirt bike!"

I parked on the sidewalk and casually shrugged off my helmet and gave them a little wave, and then strolled in to start my shift. It was pretty funny watching them through the window as I was getting my gear ready; even with the bike parked and turned off probably 2/3 of them were still fawning all over it and totally ignoring the tour.

Which brings me to the point of this: kids love motorcycles; apparently even more than fire trucks and police cars, which as any parent knows are pretty high up in the spectrum of awesome shit that kids like.

It was pretty cool.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #59173
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

I normally walk to and from work, but some days I'm just running behind and instead of taking 15 minutes to walk, I need to get there in 2 minutes, so I ride in.

Today, by happenstance, was the day that the elementary school kids come to the station and wipe their boogers all over the firetrucks and police cars and ask intellectually stimulating questions like: "have you ever shot anybody" and "what does that do?" (repeated a thousand times over as they point to everything in sight).

I was running late today and rode the WRR into work, oblivious to the fact that it was the day for the kiddie tour.

I pull in the parking lot and there is this massive pile of rugrats getting schooled on the police cruiser.... and as they hear the bike they all turn around as one huge mass and stare at it, start pointing, and some of them begin jumping up and down in total awe. Every single one of them literally turned their back to, and totally ignored, the police car and the officer that was giving the tour to focus on "look, a dirt bike!"

I parked on the sidewalk and casually shrugged off my helmet and gave them a little wave, and then strolled in to start my shift. It was pretty funny watching them through the window as I was getting my gear ready; even with the bike parked and turned off probably 2/3 of them were still fawning all over it and totally ignoring the tour.

Which brings me to the point of this: kids love motorcycles; apparently even more than fire trucks and police cars, which as any parent knows are pretty high up in the spectrum of awesome shit that kids like.

It was pretty cool.
I'm a big kid now and still love them. lol
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #59174
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:

It was pretty cool.
Good story Mark. Only way it could have been better is if a Harley had gone past and all the kids had yelled "FAGOT!" as he bleeped the throttle.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #59175
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:

It was pretty cool.
My daily rider used to be my 73 CB350F. That bike would get comments from every guy 50+ years old in sight. Now that i'm riding the motard, every 8-12 year old boy thinks its the coolest thing in the world. Had one kid sunday damn near jump out the drivers window of a van before it stopped moving. "LOOK MOM A DIRTBIKE!"
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote