Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #46
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
I may have figured something out. The wiring diagram for a '97 620 looks like this:

The interesting thing is that the wiring in that diagram closely matches what I"m seeing. It's got the blue and yellow wires coming from the generator changing to just yellow wires at the plug. It's also got 5 wires and they are mostly the same color - except mines got a black wire where the diagram shows brown.

So, here's the very interesting thing. it has the black as ground and both the red and green going to the positive side of the capacitor.

I'm thinking it's possible that I simply plugged the wires back in incorrectly when I put the bike back together.

It's worth a try, I guess.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #47
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

And my suspicion is correct. It's not the original Regulator. It's one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Regulator-Re.../dp/B007B4K0SK
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #48
Mow-ree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Well I can tell ya that you were right on the color of the red n green wires, and thats about all I can tell ya!
Mow-ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #49
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, at least I got something right!

I did some research on the honda RR that I took off the bike. Green is ground. Still don't know what black is. So, it looks like stuck just buying a new one. I did find a new OEM RR from cheapcycleparts.com. Seems abit steep - but at least it's free shipping:

Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #50
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

Anyone have experience with Baja Designs? They've got a RR for my bike for 1/4 of the OEM. I'm very tempted to just order one.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #51
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Well, at least I got something right!

I did some research on the honda RR that I took off the bike. Green is ground. Still don't know what black is.
Maybe this helps with that black wire?

And some stories what that style system can cause if connections are poor.
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #52
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikkailu_R View Post
Maybe this helps with that black wire?

And some stories what that style system can cause if connections are poor.

That does help - I think. So, I'm going to guess that since my bike doesn't need a signal wire - that black one is wired directly to the positive terminal on the battery. That I can check.

Thanks for the link. I may be one step closer to getting this figured out.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #53
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That does help - I think. So, I'm going to guess that since my bike doesn't need a signal wire - that black one is wired directly to the positive terminal on the battery. That I can check.

Thanks for the link. I may be one step closer to getting this figured out.

Bike dosnt need that wire, but RR needs it to be connectet to positive to work correct.
Directly to positive is ok for testing, but if i remember right it is recommended to connect that sensing wire to switched positive?
+12v feed to CDI box is near, and powered allways when ignition is on.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #54
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

I got my regulator from Baja Designs in and installed on Tuesday. The only light I could test was the High Beam on my first headlight since all the other filaments were fried by my old RR. It works!

I got a new headlight and taillight installed late last night, but of course it is raining today, so the bike has to sit in the garage. Hopefully I'll be commuting in on her tomorrow.

Hopefully, this project is finally done.

Well, once I replace the turn signal and instrument panel bulbs, that is!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #55
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

I just learned a painful lesson. If you are going to buy a universal regulator, it would be wise to call the company and find out if it does indeed work with your bike.

I put it on and it does work at idle. But, if I rev the bike it doesn't work anymore. I called Baja Designs and was informed that it won't work with my bike and that I am frying the RR by using it. So, I'm just out the money since they aren't interested in having me return it.

Fuck.

I've got no one to be pissed at but me. So, I'm out the money for the RR and still have to find one that will work.

Fuck.

I was planning on riding this weekend. Looks like my plans may have to change. I guess I could trailer it to an ORV park and ride off road.

Just sucks.

Anyone got a line on a RR that will work for my bike? Also, does anyone know why the Baja Designs one won't work? The guy I talked to said something about it being both an AC and DC generator. I've never heard of such a thing. It's putting out 30-60 VAC depending on engine RPM. I guess I never tried to read DC voltage.

Man, I wish Creeper hadn't disappeared from here. I could real use some expertise about now!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #56
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

Did some digging. My KTM has a 3 phase generator. The RR I bought is only for a single phase generator. So, it's likelyu fried. I did find a RR for my bike. But, it's used and expensive. But, it could be one of the last ones available out there. I guess she'll be an off road only bike until I get this issue figured out.

I just can't believe that there isn't a regulator/rectifier out there that will work with a 3 phase 130 watt 60 VAC generator. The search continues. I really don't want to resort to a used one as I know that they will eventually just quit working.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #57
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

How about these?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #58
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Or, maybe I'll ride her today! Got home from work and had a sneaking suspicion I had a full jug of 50/50 antifreeze in the shed. Sure enough. So I topped of the KTM and tightened down the remaining bolts and fasteners.

Then the moment of truth - would she start?

Turn the gas on, turn the key on, check the kill switch - it says "run", pull the choke and go through the ole 4T kick routine and kick and kick and kick and kick.

Check the kill switch - it says run

Pull the decomp and clear out the cylinder.

and kickand kick and kick and kick and kick and kick and kick and kick and kick and kick and kick and kick

Check the kill switch - it says run. Make sure the key is on. Try the hot start button

kick kick

Try half choke

kick kick.

Nothing. Not a pop. Not a fire, not a noise. I smell gas, so I know it's getting it. I check the spark plug wire, it's on. I check the kill switch - it says run.

It says run WITH A FUCKING ARROW UNDER IT!!!

It means slide the switch that way for it to fucking run. I knew this. I rode the bike all last summer. I dont' know why it didn't occur to me until 15 minutes of kicking the beast.

So I slide the swtich, and kick, and Pop!

I set the choke to half, and kick, and Pop, pa-POP! Pa PUPUPUPUPUPUPUP. Hurray! my bike runs and I'm an idiot!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

It's turned me into a sweaty, exhausted mess more than once.

Sorry I missed this thread until now. I love my RXC, but my wife hates it. I have a interesting relationship with this tall, pale Austrian. Never show fear or weakness, and never, ever let her think she has the upper hand. I know it has been said before, but if you have to do it again, the shock does indeed drop out the bottom while sitting on the stand. Changed mine in my driveway in about a half an hour. An hour and a half, if you count the head scratching, and going back into house to clear my head.
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #59
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

It's turned me into a sweaty, exhausted mess more than once.

Sorry I missed this thread until now. I love my RXC, but my wife hates it. I have a interesting relationship with this tall, pale Austrian. Never show fear or weakness, and never, ever let her think she has the upper hand. I know it has been said before, but if you have to do it again, the shock does indeed drop out the bottom while sitting on the stand. Changed mine in my driveway in about a half an hour. An hour and a half, if you count the head scratching, and going back into house to clear my head.
Haha is it.
You have to work the swingarm p and down and twist a little...and the shock drops out the bottom like there is magic at work.

Heavier than it looks, watch your fingers.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #60
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikkailu_R View Post
How about these?

That looks promising. Thanks. I've PM'd the OP - if that will indeed work for my bike, I'll happily pay for it. But, the more I dig into the electrical on this KTM, the more baffled I become!