Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #2896
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
I was thinking about doing the oversize rotor also! I was just thinking that the gold would really look good with the Rothman's scheme

I'll buy the pads you suggested they look like the best. But the price is per individual pad? I've never heard of a place selling a single brake pad.
All disc brake pads come as a pair.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #2897
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #2898
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
I was thinking about doing the oversize rotor also! I was just thinking that the gold would really look good with the Rothman's scheme
You've been looking over my playbook.

Our wheels are clear anodized aluminum. Not GOLD anodized that is correct for a Rothmans Scheme; however, I will paint the hubs gold prior to the spoke replacement. This is how it looks on the 250.

NX250 stuff
EBC OS6001 280mm oversized rotor and gold anodized caliper relocation bracket - stock is 240mm = 17% increase in diameter
EBC MXS185 sintered copper pads
Caliper is stock

So on the 650 320mm / 265mm = 21% increase in diameter.

The larger rotor with these pads makes the NX250 stop and can be feathered easily when traveling rural roads.

Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #2899
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 660
Africa Twin XRV750 (not the 650cc version) Discs are a direct fit to the NX650 hub, 4 bolt fixing and 276mm.
They will need an adaptor for the stock Nissin caliper to be made up.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #2900
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Got my nx running great, fired right up with no choke, seems the shop that cleaned the carb did not clean the jets out, the pilot jet had crud in it. Blew it out with compressed air, got it put back together , now when I snap the throttle, the front end gets light
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #2901
Rex Mundi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
im in...

Hi everyone, first post from a long time lurker, decided i should register and add myself

Honda RD08 Nx650 Dominator 2002 owner, fell in love with these bikes at 15 when i had one for useing over the fields, it slipped out of the import warehouse and into my dads workshop, very naughty but from then on i knew one day i would own my own Big thumper.

had a rear wheel rebuilt but mostly everything else im doing myself such as upgrading the original indicators but looking to do a full nut and bolt restoration soon so building up knowledge and bookmarking important info,im over at Xrv.org.uk as Rex Mundi also, theres alot of great people with great knowledge over there and looking to further my knowledge pool by picking the brains of the inmates here too.

i did try posting a pic but dont see it. ahhhaaaa finally, and there it is what a thing of beauty!!

Rex Mundi screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 07:53 AM
Rex Mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #2902
Skapegoat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Wow Rex, that's a very clean Dominator.
Well wear!
Nice excel wheels on that!
Skapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #2903
Slim-Line Tonic
Watch time fly...

Oddometer: 56
Nice addition!

Welcome !
Slim-Line Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #2904
Slim-Line Tonic
Watch time fly...

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Slim-Line

The cam and ROCKERS are shot. Easy to find.

And NO you won't be riding your Domi next week.
Thanks for the info- i actually figured out it might have been more effective to change the whole head, despite the valves being ok. Would anyone know if a 1998 dommie head fits on an 89 engine?
Slim-Line Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #2905
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Africa Twin XRV750 (not the 650cc version) Discs are a direct fit to the NX650 hub, 4 bolt fixing and 276mm.
They will need an adaptor for the stock Nissin caliper to be made up.
The caliper would have to move outward by (276-265)/2=5.5mm. That is not much gain in diameter or surface area. The rotors offset and thickness may vary as well.

Looking at the EBC site.
The 93 to 2012 XR650L SM rotor that was discussed earlier will fit the 88 and 89 NX650 hubs as the both hubs take the same standard replacement rotor. This also means that the caliper to rotor offset (left/right) are the same.

The question remains, "Will the provided relocation bracket designed for the XR650L fit the caliper and fork mounting holes on the NX650?"

The two bikes take different pads and that leads me to believe the calipers are different. I know that the XR forks are longer, but I have no idea about their mounting points of the caliper to the axles centerline, And the offset between the fork and caliper may differ between the two bikes.

These same comparisons were done on my NX250. I believe the XR250L with both the stock replacement rotors and pads being the same between the two bikes. I purchased the over sized rotor and was relieved that it was in fact a simple bolt on with no problems.

Having been in meetings concerning corporation liability coverage, unless you are in the "brake business" stay away from building / customizing brakes or any braking components. If you were found to be involved in any incident / accident with custom brakes of your own design, our legal system will eat you alive and poop you out with not one cent remaining to your name.

Being under water on this project even before turning a wrench, I think I'll just use the stock rotor with the HH pads already purchased.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #2906
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Plastics, Cowlings....Searching!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have been on but I'm wanting to get to a few NX650 projects!

Does anyone know where to find cowlings for a 1988 NX650?

Thanks
Brian
McVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #2907
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVick View Post
Hey guys, it's been a while since I have been on but I'm wanting to get to a few NX650 projects!

Does anyone know where to find cowlings for a 1988 NX650?

Thanks
Brian

cmsnl.com for brand new
or ebay france/italy/germany if you're looking for used
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #2908
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Scoot View Post
The caliper would have to move outward by (276-265)/2=5.5mm. That is not much gain in diameter or surface area. The rotors offset and thickness may vary as well.
FYI
The Standard rotor for the NX650 is 256mm Africa Twin XRV750 is 276mm thats 20mm and a significant difference in braking power.
The standard rotor for the AT is the same thickness as the NX650 with a minimum thickness of 3.5mm
Offset is 0 Both rotors are flat with 4 bolt fixing.
In Europe the SLR650 FMX650 and FX650 all came with Brembo Goldline calipers and master cylinder. The SLR caliper and carrier bolts up directly to the stock fork mounts but sits 20mm further out which makes it a direct fit to the AT disc.
THe EBC SM6010 kit comes with the adaptor to increase the distance from the centreline and should give very strong braking with a 320mm disc but I feel it may be too much unless you are running 17" street tyres, with a 90/90 21" front it may just lock up.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #2909
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
FYI
The Standard rotor for the NX650 is 256mm Africa Twin XRV750 is 276mm thats 20mm and a significant difference in braking power.
The standard rotor for the AT is the same thickness as the NX650 with a minimum thickness of 3.5mm
Offset is 0 Both rotors are flat with 4 bolt fixing.
In Europe the SLR650 FMX650 and FX650 all came with Brembo Goldline calipers and master cylinder. The SLR caliper and carrier bolts up directly to the stock fork mounts but sits 20mm further out which makes it a direct fit to the AT disc.
That's good info and should be added to a FAQ page!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #2910
Motocox
We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer: 854
Chain rings and chains

Figured I would ask the experts, as I'm too lazy to search. Are the sprockets on my 1988 NX 650 the same as an XR? Trying to order a set from rockymountain.com and want to confirm. Replacing the original set, so I guess 25 years for set of sprockets and a chain isn't too bad.

Oh, and Rex, that newer Dominator is Awesome! Where are you?
Motocox is offline   Reply With Quote