Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #76
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 569
Keep in mind these aren't from Crispy, just ideas I'm tossing around and playing with in photoshop. In the end the vinyl is to keep the plastics sorta nice over time, not for a show and shine, ;)

With a map?

Without the Dakar figure?

'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #77
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,441
I really like the look of the map. The Dakar nomad just GOES on these bikes so well because it is such a part of their heritage, but in this case I think it takes too much away from the map.

Looking good.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #78
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 721
I like the second one, but perhaps a small Dakar Nomad under the KTM would look good. The map looks great.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #79
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I like the second one, but perhaps a small Dakar Nomad under the KTM would look good. The map looks great.
Like so?

I kinda like it too... The map is super wicked. Alberta is where I live and it will be right under my butt!

I need a bigger garage... However, the F650GSPD is leaving soon,

Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #80
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 721
Yeh I recon thats better. When your sat on it all the features can be seen now.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #81
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,222
Go Minimal Grfx...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
It's not going to be flashy, no free advertising and I'm going to keep it "limited edition" crap and have something to keep the plastics looking sort of nice, lol!

Any suggestions?
I Love giving suggestions on others bikes...

Here's my insignificant take:

You have the perfect colored bike for putting a white / or clear Safari Tank (yes, I can't believe I said "clear")... because this is a perfect looking set up. If you really want to take advantage of the long range capabilities... This is it.

I totally relate with you on "no advertising". Not to upset others ( who doesn't love a Red Bull Blue Rally Replica or Repsol Orange/ Black/ Red)... But I love the statement of a bike purely naked of advertising... with the subtle manufacturers model on it.

I'm not sure why you don't like the Baja moniker... It's KTM's last opportunity to brand the bike for adventure, which is more of a grass roots logo then the Bedouin "Dakar" logo ( which to me is no longer relevant to this model). The bike hasn't been allowed into the Dakar Rally since S.A.. If you feel the need to loose the "limited edition" logo... so be it.

If you like a bike that's "dirty", "scratched" and "worn" yet looks clean.. Here's a viable solution:

Add the Safari Tank. Then sand down all the stock white plastic with a fine grit wet or dry to give it a "matte" look. Spray matte clear afterward to seal the finish and protect.

Create a stencil on adhesive paper in simple "block" font style ( like on the Safari Tanks) so you can re-spray the logo on to the side covers or tank for a touch up... similar to CJDesigns did for his AWD bike.

What you end up with is a matte white bike that looks utilitarian, looks modern, doesn't easily show it's scratches... And can have any body panel re-touched with a touch up... including stenciled in logos. And remembering, this is how the stock Safari Tank already looks, so it's a perfect match.

Ending blather now.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #82
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Ok... My Google skills are pretty epic, but I'm having a hard time locating switches for a top clamp, or at least having troubles finding exactly what I need... Looking to put an HDB top clamp on with some accessory switches (hand grip warmer toggle, on/off for a few things, etc).

I'm in Canada so Acklands or Gregg's "should" have these, but does anyone have an actual part number or a know a decent supplier in Canada/USA that I can order through? Sometimes looking through a book with the guy at the counter is painful and if I can source these now I'll be happy as they can be waiting for me to tear the whole front end of the bike off and wire everything in when I do so. :) I'm only looking for push-button type, 2-position, silicone or neoprene boot. I don't think I need a second 12V power outlet as I usually only use that to charge my phone or tablet when parked up. I'll probably be wiring in a second fusebox under the seat to take care of any electrical needs that arise. Easier to wire things down there than up front and easier to access too. Plus, if I end up putting a pre-filter on (not sure if I will, but maybe if I find myself traveling south often to find dusty deserts).

Cheers!
email HDB, I told him what i wanted and he sent a invoice. Good luck!
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #83
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post

You have the perfect colored bike for putting a white / or clear Safari Tank (yes, I can't believe I said "clear")... because this is a perfect looking set up. If you really want to take advantage of the long range capabilities... This is it.

I totally relate with you on "no advertising". Not to upset others ( who doesn't love a Red Bull Blue Rally Replica or Repsol Orange/ Black/ Red)... But I love the statement of a bike purely naked of advertising... with the subtle manufacturers model on it.

I'm not sure why you don't like the Baja moniker... It's KTM's last opportunity to brand the bike for adventure, which is more of a grass roots logo then the Bedouin "Dakar" logo ( which to me is no longer relevant to this model). The bike hasn't been allowed into the Dakar Rally since S.A.. If you feel the need to loose the "limited edition" logo... so be it.

If you like a bike that's "dirty", "scratched" and "worn" yet looks clean.. Here's a viable solution:

Add the Safari Tank. Then sand down all the stock white plastic with a fine grit wet or dry to give it a "matte" look. Spray matte clear afterward to seal the finish and protect.

Create a stencil on adhesive paper in simple "block" font style ( like on the Safari Tanks) so you can re-spray the logo on to the side covers or tank for a touch up... similar to CJDesigns did for his AWD bike.

What you end up with is a matte white bike that looks utilitarian, looks modern, doesn't easily show it's scratches... And can have any body panel re-touched with a touch up... including stenciled in logos. And remembering, this is how the stock Safari Tank already looks, so it's a perfect match.

Ending blather now.
The only hick-up with that brilliant plan, which it is btw, is the cost factor... Right now I am kind of at my bike budget limit for the year after having bought not only the 990, but also an '08 450 EXC-R, lol! The Safari tanks are probably what I will end up mounting just for the fuel range, but I need to plan that out before I do. Plenty to consider... New crash bars, yes definitely "translucent" tanks (it's like getting a free fuel gauge too!!!) and the suspension hike to 265mm... I may find the $$$ in the budget next month or the month after depending on how much more of the year I spend over seas, but I'm possibly looking at another $5000CDN!!! Meh, just money, right? I do like the look of CJ's bike though... Unassuming to the untrained eye, a weapon in the eyes of an ADV rider, LOL! I hate bling on my bikes... Nothing against anyone else's bling, just for me I like subtle. I do LOVE the Red Bull bikes, but I'm not a pro and don't want anyone to think I am.

I only want to cover up the Baja stuff cause I don't want it branded as a special edition... Cause it isn't. It's just another 990 with 210mm travel, lol! I'll brand it something when it gets it's suspenders and tanks though, but discreetly!

Thanks for your input man! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes to ride out of the limelight, lol!

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #84
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews42 View Post
email HDB, I told him what i wanted and he sent a invoice. Good luck!
Yep, yep, last week I got it all sorted out with Paul at HDB through email. My hand guards, mirrors, top clamp and some switches should actually be at my house when I get home, Gonna toss it all on and see what the rise and sweep feel like on the stock bars before I pick something different out if it's still too much sweep. Gonna be a fun few days in my garage tearing factory stuff off and putting goodies back on!

For anyone's reference, the Emig triple tree spacing is 106x38/40 and the stock spacing is 90x38/40. On a 990/950 of course it's fat bars unless you change the lower clamp too.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #85
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:

Ending blather now.
You know... I may even wait to see if Safari will make the tanks out of Polymide... I could skin them with the same simple scheme in vinyl and not worry about gassing issues through the plastics... Oh wallet, why are thou so skinny! Lol!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #86
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,222
No rush...

Quote:
You know... I may even wait to see if Safari will make the tanks out of Polymide... I could skin them with the same simple scheme in vinyl and not worry about gassing issues through the plastics... Oh wallet, why are thou so skinny! Lol!
It took me a long time to get my bike 1/2 way there as far as upgrades go... I always project my buys far in advance. Especially in the case of Safari Tanks, it's an investment... and exercise in marital diplomacy. But if you seek, you shall find (deals).

Call me an Adventure Fanatic but I feel every model year had a "special" limited edition.... when upgraded to it's maximum potential...

You may feel nothing for the Baja "Limited Edition" logo... but it is the Very Last production run of a cherished bike. The Baja LTD. is a release I believe could be run down to Mike's Sky Rancho, or to Puertocitos bone stock by an average adventure rider... And it would be a total blast on that type of trip out of the box!!! It's a tribute bike... In my eyes. And I'm happy for those who grabbed up the last of a great bike!

What ever you do to it, it will be PERFECT!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #87
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
It took me a long time to get my bike 1/2 way there as far as upgrades go... I always project my buys far in advance. Especially in the case of Safari Tanks, it's an investment... and exercise in marital diplomacy. But if you seek, you shall find (deals).

Call me an Adventure Fanatic but I feel every model year had a "special" limited edition.... when upgraded to it's maximum potential...

You may feel nothing for the Baja "Limited Edition" logo... but it is the Very Last production run of a cherished bike. The Baja LTD. is a release I believe could be run down to Mike's Sky Rancho, or to Puertocitos bone stock by an average adventure rider... And it would be a total blast on that type of trip out of the box!!! It's a tribute bike... In my eyes. And I'm happy for those who grabbed up the last of a great bike!

What ever you do to it, it will be PERFECT!
I'm glad you brought that up actually... A big reason why I pulled the trigger is because I too think this is the end of the 9X0... Same as why I bought a last year year production F650GSPD. The bike is finally almost perfect and they go and re-invent the wheel... Wtf? And I don't want an 1190, at all. I can see the sense in keeping the Baja graphics, but I'm a function over form guy and I just really dislike questions from the Starbuckers about a "special" edition bike... Your take on it is better. I cherish it because it's a big twin KTM... And I've lusted after this bike for a decade now... Makes me happy that someone thinks bringing a bike to its full potential is perfect! A vinyl skin will only preserve its Baja name though, :)

Deals you say? Safari tanks you say? Do tell in a PM... Cause this big twin is going all the way, whether my bank likes it or not. Even debt will not stop me. I made that mistake once and I kicked myself for years for not building it right. It IS a great bike off the showroom floor for 40/60 off road/on road. I need it to be 90/10 though and a long distance mile eating machine. Not a Beemer that gets there eventually, but a KTM that gets there before everyone else. :)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #88
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Safari Tanks

Fancy... They come in white now!

http://dualsportwarehouse.com/AQUALI...FKT-990ADV.htm

Still a sizeable sum of money... I imagine I'll go this route in the end, but for now I will have to make do with a 2 gallon RotopaX until I convince myself to stretch my CC a little, lol! Shipping will be insane on them too... I'll start looking for a Canadian supplier.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #89
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

To Do List Next Week:

T-minus 6 days till flights home. So... This is more for me and my reference than anything really, but it's also a summary of things I think are fairly important to be done to make the bike perform for me. I am going to post the mods/changes I will be doing to the bike next week when I arrive back in Canada (barring any late packages or things stuck in customs). This won't be an engine-out tear down, but close. Gonna be a lot of work to do before I leave Calgary and take it on it's maiden shake down voyage to Washington/Oregon to visit some friends! It'll be a 4000km or so trip and I'm hoping for smooth sailing!

- Take it down to the frame (engine-in)
- Remove stock cans and plunk some FMF's I have on the shelf on (still 3-4 weeks wait on Wings... derp!)
- Cut down the rear mud flap a 1/4" on each side
- Canisterectomy and re-route breather hoses down to the frame
- SAS removal (might skip this till I get back as I would like to ride it with the SAS on first to see how it performs). If I do take it off I'll leave the pumps on to fool the EFI or make the resistor plugs with 22K's
- Drill out chain slider hole and secure with 6mm bolt and a nylock (Anyone have the right length I need?)
- Drill small holes in the bottom tail edge of the swingarm
- Pull front end off and replace triple trees with Emig's. Install Rev I dampener & fork skins.
- Euro headlight swap
- Install Lexan headlight protector (I like these way more than the metal mesh ones... Indestructible too!)
- Properly secure that GPS bracket with an extra bolt through the front brace & some 3M cushion tape (I get dizzy watching it buzz and jiggle around like that)
- HDB top clamp, hand guards/mirrors (the switches and wiring will wait for another time).
- Drop oil, change filters, clean screens, etc
- Install oil change hose extension
- Check air filter
- Drop engine coolant and replace with Engine Ice (I prefer ethanol based coolants for bikes and it's premix, easy!)
- Plumb fuel lines with quick disconnects
- Change plugs out to Iridiums and stow the stocks for spares
- Change horn out to a set of 136db Stebels (plug and play 12V, not the air horn type)
- Swap skid plate for Weld86 kit
- Mod the gear switch relay to disable computer in 2nd/3rd
- Re-locate sidestand with Weld86 bracket
- Swap rear sprocket for a 45T
- Spoon off the 908RR rear and put a TKC80 150/70/17
- Spoon off the 908RR front and replace with either a Michelin T63 or similar 90/90/21
- Fill HD tubes with Dyna Beads and remove rim weights
- Fill spare HD 21" tube with Dyna Beads (I only take one with me cause in a pinch you can use a 21" for either front/rear. Weight savings, lol!)
- Re-assemble and ride 100kms before packing up and leaving, lol!

Yes, I know it's a long list... But it's cause the bike is brand new! I'm going to work on the bike from the stock tool kit and add tools as I need them or see fit to have them. Right now, having only partially disassembled the bike so far, the only tools I KNOW I need are spoons and the kit tools, lol! Every bike is different and I always put together a proper road tool kit that will allow me to do everything I need to do. I can scavenge most everything from the kit I put together for the Dakar and just substitute specific things in. All of that should take me less than 2 days if I haul a$$, but probably will take 2 and a bit due to me being a KTM noob.

Windscreen options... I will ride with and without the stock screen to see what's better for me and I will also have a TF5 at my disposal to see how it works. I wear a brimmed XD4 now, but usually wear a Shoei Rf-1000 for longer trips to save my neck some pain in cross winds. I'll probably pack my street lid just in case I find some problems with buffeting or similar along the way.

I'll primarily be on slab for this little jaunt, but some dirt is involved. A few of the more major changes like suspension, etc are just going to have to wait until later in the year. If I spend too much time wrenching on the 990 I won't get any riding time in! The guys I'm linking up with (From Cali and Washington) ride chrome beasts.... But are probably already trying to sell them for a big twin dirt bike now, hahaha! We'll be headed to Seattle to crash another buddies house for the weekend of the 24-26th. Good times, good friends, bikes... Heck, who wouldn't enjoy it! I'll split from Seattle on the 27th and ride up to Vancouver Island to visit some friends and family there and then head home. I only only get 3 weeks of days off this time out before heading back to Albania... Hopefully for the last time for a few months! Then I can really have a break, lol!

Other things that are going to be done post shakedown ride are:

- SAS removal if not done already
- Possible TuneECU tweaks (O2 sensors, throttle, etc blah blah)
- Sourcing secondary fuel supply whether it is Safari's or RotopaX's or CJ's... I'm leaning towards the Safari's myself, but need to find out a crash bar solution first.
- 265mm suspender hike via Pro-Action or SPS or alike.
- Source a Pyndon pre-filter from AdventureSpec
- Call Woody. Order proper rims (Why would KTM put street fatties on a dirt bike?)
- Wire in a secondary fuse box under the seat
- Under-grip heated grips
- Possible handlebar swap
- Wire in switches and second 12V powerlet on HDB top clamp
- Put Wings on!!!
- Install white high fender and re-do the brake lines to prevent chafing on the fender.
- Possible G2 throttle tube cam if I can't sort the snatchiness at low RPM's/slow riding
- Oberon Clutch Slave and change oil with mineral oil

These will be over time and probably not happen till July/August as the project I'm on right now for work is taking a rather long time to finish. I thought it would be done by now, but still a projected 60-90 days left! Arg, good $$$, but I wanna ride!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #90
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,618
If you go up in suspension, plan on replacing the center/side stands. I just did it, and parking the bike is wonky. One can get away with it, but really not stable.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote