Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #31
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morrison View Post
When I decided to return my lowered F650 to standard height, I went with Ohlins, and am quite happy with the ride improvement. The one thing that would keep me away from the Touratech units, is the rediculous mark up on them. You can buy an Ohlins for half the price they ask for the same shock. I've heard these touratech shocks are made by Tractive? Is there an alternate dealer that does not gouge riders?
Yes, they are made by Tractive. And unfortunately Touratech made them pricey. But, before you compare Tractive (Touratech) and Ohlins, take the same level model. Even the basic Tractive shock is high quality one and tested way beyond reasonable. I know a bit of a background on these products (and manufacturer) and I can tell there has been serious engineering and testing for extended durability. The reason I went Tractive over Ohlins (or WP)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #32
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
When I decided to return my lowered F650 to standard height, I went with Ohlins, and am quite happy with the ride improvement. The one thing that would keep me away from the Touratech units, is the rediculous mark up on them. You can buy an Ohlins for half the price they ask for the same shock. I've heard these touratech shocks are made by Tractive? Is there an alternate dealer that does not gouge riders?
Touratech and Ohlins are apples and oranges. They even sell Ohlins just in case you don't want to pay for their line of shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olvi View Post
Yes, they are made by Tractive. And unfortunately Touratech made them pricey. But, before you compare Tractive (Touratech) and Ohlins, take the same level model. Even the basic Tractive shock is high quality one and tested way beyond reasonable. I know a bit of a background on these products (and manufacturer) and I can tell there has been serious engineering and testing for extended durability. The reason I went Tractive over Ohlins (or WP)
I couldn't agree with you more. Touratech has taken into mind the true adventure rider, and their shocks are designed to handle large loads of gear on long days thru backcountry terrain. They obviously realized there was a market for their new product and stepped up.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
Tom Morrison
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Actually, when I bought my Ohlins, the Tractive shocks were not available. That said, the price Touratech wanted for an Ohlins shock was about twice what I paid elsewhere.

Fact is Touratech over charges. If I was Tractive, I'd be selling direct, and sell a lot more with reasonable prices.
Tom Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #34
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Actually, when I bought my Ohlins, the Tractive shocks were not available. That said, the price Touratech wanted for an Ohlins shock was about twice what I paid elsewhere.

Fact is Touratech over charges. If I was Tractive, I'd be selling direct, and sell a lot more with reasonable prices.
TT does over charge on some items. But their shock makes ohlins look like my 1985 non adjustable 5mm shaft Honda Fatcat shock. The TT extreme is so overbuilt and ma it's not funny.

Many on here will tell you how shit the ohlins is.

I'm def getting an extreme after looking at the details and user reports here
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
xsf18cdf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Ohlins PDS

BM802/302/303 are NOT PDS.
xsf18cdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #36
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
The only way to get order the new Touratech Extreme into Canada is through Touratech Canada. Their price $2248.24 plus shipping and taxes. USA price $1795.00 The currency exchange is near par at the moment at 0.9964, so the extra gouging fee of the Canadian distributer comes to $446.75

Not enough lube provided to make that kind of reaming acceptable. While I'm sure they are good the Canadian made Elka shock is $995 so I could buy 2 and still pay less.
One is now on its way.
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #37
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 824
That is incorrect, I can provide the TT line into Canada.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
The only way to get order the new Touratech Extreme into Canada is through Touratech Canada. Their price $2248.24 plus shipping and taxes. USA price $1795.00 The currency exchange is near par at the moment at 0.9964, so the extra gouging fee of the Canadian distributer comes to $446.75

Not enough lube provided to make that kind of reaming acceptable. While I'm sure they are good the Canadian made Elka shock is $995 so I could buy 2 and still pay less.
One is now on its way.
Narf a shame that it costs that much! I just placed my order to the mothership for a highend version (living in France I'll get it in germany, less expensive than TT France...), Thanks again for all your help KM! I mentionned you and your help to TT germany. Don't know if you have any link with them or just TT USA but I like when competence is noticed and rewarded.

So I'll go to germany and get my shock the 25th. Review is to follow!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #39
dbh
d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
That is incorrect, I can provide the TT line into Canada.
TT needs to update their website then. They make no mention of you! What would your price be?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #40
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

I am a independent dealer for TT products, specifically their suspension line. I was chosen by TT USA to be the only authorized service center in the US. I have helped educate the TT staff by holding a private suspension seminar at the Seattle location for their employees, therefore they can answer most questions you the consumers might have.
I can also answer any technical suspension questions you have as I am the only person in the US that has disassembled, inspected, and recorded their settings, piston design, port flows etc.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #41
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

My pricing is in line with the suggested retail pricing online with the TT USA's website, plus shipping costs.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #42
dbh
d00d

Quote:
I am a independent dealer for TT products, specifically their suspension line. I was chosen by TT USA to be the only authorized service center in the US. I have helped educate the TT staff by holding a private suspension seminar at the Seattle location for their employees, therefore they can answer most questions you the consumers might have.
I can also answer any technical suspension questions you have as I am the only person in the US that has disassembled, inspected, and recorded their settings, piston design, port flows etc.
Quote:
My pricing is in line with the suggested retail pricing online with the TT USA's website, plus shipping costs.
This is all good stuff! I hope anyone in Canada wishing to buy the Touratech shock makes sure and goes through you! That should send a very clear signal to the gouging Canadian distributor.

Thanks for that info.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #43
jj le roux OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
TT, Ohlins, Wilbers

The guys at Wilbers make a good shock as well don't they. I believe even their entry level is great. Also made to rider spec, conditions and pillion.
jj le roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #44
jj le roux OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Tt

How do they class their shocks at TT. Between the 3 which one to go for?
jj le roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #45
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj le roux View Post
The guys at Wilbers make a good shock as well don't they. I believe even their entry level is great. Also made to rider spec, conditions and pillion.
Most, if not all, aftermarket custom shocks are set up per your specs and criteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj le roux View Post
How do they class their shocks at TT. Between the 3 which one to go for?
They offer the different classes to compete with the other manufacturers and to cater to the type of riding you do and all depends on how deep your pockets are. If you are just going on a Sunday stroll get the lower end, if you are loading the bike up and taking some weekend or week long trips with an occasional fire road get the middle of the road, if you are loaded for bear and making your own trail thru some intense terrain and thrashing the bike get the high end.

Call Alex at Konflict or call Touratech and tell them the type of riding you anticipate doing and they can assist and guide you to the shock that suits your wants/needs.
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote