Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #46
ChildlikeWonder OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
oh, you can't find boots that fit your width?! cry me a river.

I wear a 15. There literally are NOT widths in motorcycle boots in size 15.

sure, wear whatever you want. It's your foot.

I'll wear ill-fitting (for walking) boots on my motorcycle any day knowing the stress I've put on the boots that I wear from stuff hitting them and bikes falling over.
It's not about being uncomfortable to walk it. It's about the simple act of wearing them causing me extreme pain. I have an extra bone in my foot. This bone is pressed very close to the skin in my left foot. The pain of something pushing almost directly against bone is severe. After showing my hiking boots to MSF instructors and experienced riders, I feel ok with wearing them for the time being, and will save up for custom boots.
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #47
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
When it comes to "good" foot wear for harsh environments I gauge the quality of the protection with the stiffness level of walking in them. I expect a high level of protection when the boot feels similar to walking in a ski boot. The more flexible the boot, the less it will protect your foot, shins, and ankles from piercing, grinding, twisting, flexing, and crushing. Given that, I still wear a flexible trials boot for trials, a stiff boot for motocross and single track, and an even more flexible road racing boot for track days. A good work boot is somewhere between the trials boot and road racing boot shy the plastic sliders. I wear steel toe red wings to ride and wear to work that also happen to be a qualified safety shoe even though I bought them advertised as a motorcycle boot. I've also used standard hiking boots as everyday riding and walking footwear. ANYTHING boot wise is better than tennis shoes or dress shoes which I see plenty of people wearing when commuting. I guess one point to be made is, there is a reason MotoGP guys don't wear motocross boots and vice versa.

Chuck
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #48
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
GAAAH!
I'm normally pretty squirrely about road rash pics, etc. but not on this pic. It just looks so...ridiculous, like a model.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #49
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
I like to have comfy boots on because I walk trails and look around the places along the way. With a size 14 foot I am limited, the usual mild DS boots don't go that big. I tried touring in MX boots like the flexible Tech 3 and still thought they were too much for all day use on trips.

So, I usually pavement tour using Sidi on roads or Red Wing lace up riding boots. I wrecked on pavement wearing the Red Wings and they held up better than I expected. The leather did not wear through and I kept wearing the boots another year. A thick leather work boot does off more protection than many so called motorcycle boots. The on roads from Sidi are excellent, but they are hot and really give very little extra protection over my work boots.

Unless you go with a stiff reinforced motorcycle boot with actual protective value beyond abrasion, there is no advantage over a comfortable well stitched thick leather work boot. Red Wing and others that have US made boots are pretty tough. The cheaper Red Wings from china are not any more protective than running shoes. So, look for a heavy well made work boot. I like the black 9" lace ups from Red Wing. They are water resistant, the full goretex versions are expensive though. I paid $249 for my last pair of Red Wings, but they are comfy and are thick heavy water proof all leather boots. I've tried other brands and they didn't hold up like the Wings.

But, if you want protection, go with a nice sidi DS boot or such if you have average feet.. BUT, you can't do that if your a big foot... So work boots actually are the only choice for many.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #50
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I have ridden many years in western boots.
I still have both feet intact.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #51
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 667
AlpineStar Tech 7

A month ago I was doing some seriously frightening single track with a couple of mates, in the Flinders Ranges.

I had my almost new AlpineStar Teck 7s on.

You can see a bit of it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0rmG...yer_detailpage

On my third fall I stood up and felt considerable pain in my right foot. I thought, "how can that be" with these bloody great boots on.
When I got back to camp my 2nd and 3rd toes were turning blue. A day later they were black, but now all is back to normal.

There wasn't a mark on the boot, but the only thing I can think of is I got my foot jammed between a rock and the right hand foot peg.

For the impact to pass through the toe of these heavy boots and do the damage it did, has me thinking "what if I only had ordinary single layer leather boots?" I think I might easily have sliced off a couple of toes.

They might look like a bit of overkill for normal ADV riding, but I think I'll be wearing them more in future.

Cheers
Tim
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #52
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
I have ridden in non-motorcycle boots: hiking boots, Matterhorn combat boots (similar to Danners Ft. Lewis)-- they work well for riding, and are more comfortable than moto boots to walk in.

BUT, I have crashed twice on the street wearing moto boots (a Gaerne sport-touring type boot) --they work great for crashing
1. 40 mph low-side, right foot was pinned under the bike briefly and the ankle and toe protectors on the boots kept me safe.
2. Hit at a busy intersection by a clueless cager. Took the bulk of the impact on the shin protector (and the knee pad of my 'stich RC), again with no injuries.

So, for me yes, moto boots are important.

If you need a custom boot to accomodate your needs/size...the Vendrammini option seems to be the most protective.

Another option to consider (since you were asking about custom made in the US boots), perhaps, is getting a pair of Wesco's made to order. Their boots are very beefy (you can get them with toe caps and and double steel shanks) and would only be lacking in ankle protection if you supplemented with some stap-on style shin guards.