Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #271
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg22 View Post
Nice, what rear tire are you running?
Rear is a Kenda 510, it's just what was on it and its almost brand new so I'll run it down. If I was buying more I'd put Pirelli MT21's front and rear.
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #272
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I've just joined your group

I have a '12 Wr 450 F now-----bought it over the winter and haven't had much chance to ride it. It was being used as a "Demo" by Rocky Mountain Sports dealership-----they had dressed it up with their own line of after market stuff and had taken it to the "shows". They sold it to me at a fair price and taught me how to start it with the button-----there is a very strict procedure to follow there as most of you would know. I worried that it was the first year for Fuel injection----I've leaned over the years how to set up Carbs---but so far---so good with the fuel injection. I'm anxious now to ride it as the weather is breaking and will be breaking it in on some of the Utah trails and single track--There is a lot of good desert and mountain dirt riding in this country. I don't know how to post a picture of it-----but am going to be keeping track of posts here hoping to pick up some pointers on this bike. I am not a stranger to Yamaha's though----I still have my '96 WR 250 which have running better than it did new----and I also have a KDX 220 that is a pretty good trail bike. I'm liking this 450 four stroke though----------
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #273
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,881
I have to admit I'm envious. A new 12' WR450 with FI & you live in eastern Utah.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #274
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Me too sort of.......

Just bought a pretty darn clean (not raced) 2011 YZ450F. I know - never raced, yada yada - in this case we know the prior owner so it actually was not raced. This group of guys know how to set up YZs for the desert - they have a nice "desert map" for the FI and I had them put on a larger tank.

I think it's going to be a lot of bike......
everetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #275
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Bump!

T-cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #276
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Awesome!

Just got my '08 this January. Didn't really ride it stock. Just down the road and back to make sure it ran decent, shifted, etc.

Added tusk dual sport kit, JD jet kit, twin air filter, enduro engineering rad guards and skid plate, and set of pro bend hand guards. Typical free mods. grey wire, exhaust baffle, air box, yadayda

When I got it out fri, started first kick. That JD jet kit was spot on. Wasn't really sure what to expect. This thing RIPS! Cant wait to get out in the woods with this for some real trail rides.

Even got it plated and insured today.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #277
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,249
lookin good Cosmic
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #278
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
lookin good Cosmic
Tnx!

Finally got my IMS 3.0 gal tank... Almost perfect fit, but my range now is 150km's, and that alone is worth every dime. That's decent range for some adv riding.

Oh, i've put on some new rubbers.

T-cosmic screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 01:13 PM
T-cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #279
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Dual sport ADV or other dirt bike?

I set up my 2012 WR450 as a dual sport but find I am hauling the bike to riding areas simply because it is such a great trail bike.

The pic above is at the Pipestone off road area near Butte Montana. Great riding...

I installed the IMS 3 gal tank, Baja Designs dual sport kit, plus a lot of other functional parts. I lost the right rear turn signal somewhere at Pipestone this week, so have ordered flush-mount LEDs for the rear.
I see the WR450 as an amazing trail bike, OK for dual sport, but would need gearing-tires-rear hub-rear subframe-lighting mods to be ADV ready - as already detailed in previous posts
Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #280
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright View Post
I set up my 2012 WR450 as a dual sport but find I am hauling the bike to riding areas simply because it is such a great trail bike.

The pic above is at the Pipestone off road area near Butte Montana. Great riding...

I installed the IMS 3 gal tank, Baja Designs dual sport kit, plus a lot of other functional parts. I lost the right rear turn signal somewhere at Pipestone this week, so have ordered flush-mount LEDs for the rear.
I see the WR450 as an amazing trail bike, OK for dual sport, but would need gearing-tires-rear hub-rear subframe-lighting mods to be ADV ready - as already detailed in previous posts
Very nice, looks a lot like mine. I had the same problem with the baja designs signals, lost my left rear. I put the flush mounts on and have had no problems since. Wish for a 6th gear on occasion as well. I like the black tank. Went back and forth on which one, went with the natural. Agreed, great for trails and I wouldn't want to spend too much time on pavement. It desperately needs a softer seat, that is next for me.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #281
n16ht5
ride the night

you're nuts for not having a skid plate on a brand new bike IMO.

I ride mine all over, just have to gear it taller. 16t CS does the trick. when you want to do a hard core ride swap to the 13T, takes 10 min... although I never do, I just ride faster

for flush mount signals I got 3/4" LED trailer side marker lights... cheap and indestructable. $12 a pair on ebay

found a decent cheap mirror setup too. I used that 3M super double sided tape and taped the 2" mirror on the left, then zip tied a cheap dual sport mirror that I had. I cut off the bottom mount though. seems to work well, I can see behind me under my arms.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #282
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

You would not belive how sturdy is that oem plastic skid plate. I've put on 3000km exclusively on rocky trails and it's still tip top.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #283
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
You would not belive how sturdy is that oem plastic skid plate. I've put on 3000km exclusively on rocky trails and it's still tip top.

Ditto for me. There's a number of stuff I'd upgrade on the WR, but the skid plate isn't even on my list.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #284
n16ht5
ride the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post

My aluminum one has saved my motor and covers countless times.. the plastic one would have bent out of the way of all the rocks and trees I have hit, and they would have munched my cases and motor. I've had to bend it back into shape a lot with a crescent wrench. I've been wanting to beef it up actually, had too many close calls and bent head pipes.

I would definitely get radiator guards and braces too. This would have been a complete taco wrap without them.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #285
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
I'll Throw Up a Picture of Mine

I'll throw up a picture of my 2012. I picked it up new in Kerrville Texas then dragged it down to Western Mexico last month. They still don't sell the FI model in Mexico yet.

-3.1 gallom IMS tank.
-Magura hydraulic clutch line.
-Yamaha programmable ECU and fuel injection tuner.
-Cycra hand guards.
-Moose Racing fender bag.
-Moose Racing seat strap.
-Acerbis front disk guard (not installed).
-Oversized exhaust insert.
-I removed the snorkel and ridiculous throttle stop screw.
-Threw the spark arrestor in the trash can.
-Ill probably pick up a beefier engine guard when I get a chance and maybe better disk guards.

I traded up from a DRZ-400. I love it. It's amazing. I especially love the suspension and handling. It has way more than enough power. I haven't started playing with the custom engine tuning yet. I plan to wait until I have the engine all broken in, which is about now.

I couldn't find a Magura hydraulic clutch line listed for the new WR450F, so I took a chance and ordered the one for the 2012 YZ450 and it worked. It doesn't have the starter safety breaker switch on the clutch handle. Which is not a problem at all. I don't even like those switches. The Maguras are very worthwile. I had one on the DRZ-400 and couldn't go back to a cable after that.

At first I was ready to get rid of the seat, but after riding it a little more either my ass is breaking or the seat is. I'm not sure which one. I think it can stay

I'm having a small problem with it not wanting to start ever without the hot start button being pulled. I have been reading up online and need to try a few things this weekend. Some say this problem goes away with time? Some say crack the throttle a tiny bit while starting? I ride at about 2700 m and change altitude a lot. Someone said you need to get the temp up, and then let the bike idle for one minute so the computer can re-calibrate to the altitude. I'll try that too.

SR screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 09:34 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote