Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #91
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I had a guy call, that wanted to buy my dodge pick up.
Saw it on CL. liked the price...... Told him he had wrong number.
He kept calling back at all times for days,offered me $500 over price.
Still the wrong number...I finnaly gave in and sent him to the next town,
"Just off 1st street,can't miss it."......I have never owned a truck, hope he found it
Old 05-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #92
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 299
Looked at a '09 ZX6R awhile back, fairly low miles, looked really nice in the ad.
When I got there I noticed it was a re-paint and some of the smaller body pieces were missing, so I said, tell me about the bike, he says, don't know a damn thing about the bike, I buy 'em and flip for a little profit.
Didn't buy it but it least he was honest.

Sold a '02 Buell Cyclone with some hard 47,000 miles. I put a fair price of $2,700 on the ad. First guy calls about 30 min after posting the ad, just wants directions to my house. I was kinda worried about some kid used to silky smooth in-line fours showing up. Guy pulls up on a Buell Lightning, rides it down the road and says, I'll go get my truck, easiest sell I've ever had.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #93
alnmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
My short history on buying/selling bikes isn't as eventful as some ive read on here.

About 3 years ago, before I had my MSF course, I got my own "expert" to come along with me, and we looked at a few bikes that were obviously vastly misrepresented.
Finally showed up to a '82 Suzuki GS650L (Turned out to be an '81). My friend took it for a test drive, and I ended up driving the car back to the Dorms. Got it for about $1200 I think.
There were a few problems with it, I got really good at disassembling the carbs.
Had it for a year and a half, then sold it to another beginner for $1500, I told them all the work I put into it, and there was no longer anything wrong with it, ect. Good experience buying/owning/selling that bike.

The next month, found a nice '02 Vee for $4k. Going from a 1981 4 cylinder 650cc bike to a modern twin literbike was eye opening. It was also scary to the previous owner, who bought it to ride with his buddies and got scared after 100 miles after doing all the maintenance it needed (thanks buddy!).

Would like to have a good story of selling that bike, but a minivan turning left in front of me (uninsured too, asshat) ended up with me selling the remains (engine still good) to a mechanic for $50. At least I got to part out the (slightly) used luggage system, and I got to ride a big modern bike for a month...

That was last summer, and its been a year without a bike. Im getting antsy and am hoping to find a good bike on here or the stromtrooper forums.

Im hoping to have a story soon of a crazy buyer flying from Alaska and riding back home.
alnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #94
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,579
I've been lucky, mostly good buying experiences. Bought a DR650 from a guy here. Rented a truck, drove out, met a pleasant gentleman and his wife. He watched me drop the bike into his bushes 5 minutes after handing him the cash, then helped me load it into the truck.

The most fun i've had is selling bikes and cars on Craiglist.
-1991 Toyota Camry- Looked like total shit, rust everywhere, but it ran and drove. Asked $900 iirc, clearly stated it was no where near perfect, good first car. A couple show up, drive the car, they have some cash, but not enough. I have other people interested in the car, so i say if they leave a deposit i have no problem waiting for payday next week. She pulls out a crisp $100 bill, we shake hands and they are off. i park the car on the street. Week goes by, no phone call. Another week, nothing. I email her, ask what's up. She replies after a few days saying they couldn't come up with the money... Free $100 i guess...

-2004 Honda VFR- Guy and his friend came down after the phone deal was made. We look the bike over, go to the bank, come back, guy is going to ride it home. He goes up the road for a quick spin to get the feel of it before hitting the highway back. Returns with one of the mirrors in his pocket and scratches down the fairing on one side and the bag. Verify he is ok, he rides home.

-1996 R1100GS- ended up trading the DR for this, just to sell it. Guy comes to look at it. Rides it, likes it, says he'll be back. no problemo. Comes back later that week with cash, wants to ride it up the road again. I have cash, do whatever ya want bro. He rolls back in the driveway, while the bike is still moving around 2mph he stops, bike keeps going... Bike falls, still running. He gets up and looks a little shaken. I walk over, turn it off, then teach him how to pick it up. No damage to the bike that wasn't already there, good to go.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #95
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnmike View Post
My short history on buying/selling bikes isn't as eventful as some ive read on here.

About 3 years ago, before I had my MSF course, I got my own "expert" to come along with me, and we looked at a few bikes that were obviously vastly misrepresented.
Finally showed up to a '82 Suzuki GS650L (Turned out to be an '81). My friend took it for a test drive, and I ended up driving the car back to the Dorms. Got it for about $1200 I think.
There were a few problems with it, I got really good at disassembling the carbs.
Had it for a year and a half, then sold it to another beginner for $1500, I told them all the work I put into it, and there was no longer anything wrong with it, ect. Good experience buying/owning/selling that bike.

The next month, found a nice '02 Vee for $4k. Going from a 1981 4 cylinder 650cc bike to a modern twin literbike was eye opening. It was also scary to the previous owner, who bought it to ride with his buddies and got scared after 100 miles after doing all the maintenance it needed (thanks buddy!).

Would like to have a good story of selling that bike, but a minivan turning left in front of me (uninsured too, asshat) ended up with me selling the remains (engine still good) to a mechanic for $50. At least I got to part out the (slightly) used luggage system, and I got to ride a big modern bike for a month...

That was last summer, and its been a year without a bike. Im getting antsy and am hoping to find a good bike on here or the stromtrooper forums.

Im hoping to have a story soon of a crazy buyer flying from Alaska and riding back home.
PLEASE tell me you punched the minivan driver in his everlovin' face.
dmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #96
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
PLEASE tell me you punched the minivan driver in his everlovin' face.
This ^^^^^^ and a boot to the ass...
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #97
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I go the other way.
I tell what might need attention, what I did, the history and use of the bike, give old parts, manuals, spare keys.

And in buying a bike, I research it, and bikes are simple and easy to work on, and I am going through any used bike I get anyway, so its mostly cosmetics I look at.

Depending on price, I will nit pick about brakes, chain, dents, rust, etc if its not a good deal, if its a fair price, I just pay it.

I once gave someone $200.00 extra as the price was stupid low and I do not feel good ripping someone off. Karma you know...

I still managed to sell that bike for more then I had into it when I was done with it, and even that was a very good price for the buyer.

I am the guy you want to buy a used bike from, and sell to.

The only time I was unhappy was buying new bikes. Pay high, sell low.
I never got a bad used bike. Or car.
My approach is just like yours.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote