Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #76
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
I'm 5'11, but long legged. I have to stoop or move forward very slightly to have calm air with the stock shield in calm weather. Any kind of wind and I'm getting a lot of noise. I need just a couple inches more on the stock shield.

I'm going to give the standard Aero a try. 4" taller than the stock. I think the biggest benefit will result from the pressure relief by having the big scoop at the bottom.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #77
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
FYI, I asked for an advrider discount when I bought mine; they're not offering any at this time, but I was able to get 15% off for a scratch I never was able to find. You might ask if they have any factory seconds
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #78
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,162
Hellsickle: That Alienflow wont get to me, BUT that highfender. Where to get?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #79
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoule View Post
The weather finally permitted a bit of a test run with my Aeroflow windscreen. I bought the medium (~6" higher than stock). I'm 6'3"; 215#; Edit: XL Arai XD4. I haven't been through all the variables yet but initial impression is good. I can tell you the head buffeting I was experiencing from the stock screen was, at times, disorienting and not what I wanted tooling along at 80 in traffic. With the Aeroflow, the head buffeting is nearly gone and I noticed the wind noise is greatly reduced as well. I notice there is a definite vacuum behind the screen that kinda pulls your head forward; gonna have to get used to that. I also notice more wind on my shoulders/chest but it feels balanced. At lower speeds, the sight line is a bit of a bother.
The unit mounted easily using the upper 4 windscreen screws and I was pleasantly suprised at how solid it was. The distortion is minimal but there seems to be a bit of milkiness to the transparency; not bad but there. I think it will be good for long hauls and I may get the side deflectors as well. I plan to cut down the stock screen for dirt work,etc. and will update if that combination works with the Aeroflow.
I cut down the stock screen 2"(50mm)..oh yeah!! Big difference on helmet-rattling bufetting. The helmet wind noise is back, but it and the wind pressure are more evenly distributed around the helmet. Definitely a better experience for short jaunts around town. Next is to put the Aeroflow back on to see what, if any, changes to that combination.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #80
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Thumb bored

Running around at 70 or so I put my hand in the gap between the original and the Aeroflow shields, laminar flow is disturbed with lots more noise.
It definitely works, and well at that
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #81
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Hellsickle: That Alienflow wont get to me, BUT that highfender. Where to get?
Sorry, that picture was from the Aeroflow web page. I don't have a high fender.

Google ADV and you will find which KTM parts to order to allow installation on a 990S.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #82
KamLeeR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
a little better

Well I'm enroute to the Overland Expo.
Pulled the peak off my XD3, noticed a little bit better. Running 85. Still a noisey helmet like mentioned. Sure missed the peak with the texas setting sun though.
Pulled mirrors, no change.
Running stock shield this trip.
When I return I will run the shorty a while.
Its really windy so its hard to tell much change.

I love this machine, something will work I'm sure.

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #83
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Just got my Aeroflow shield today & mounted it. I'll make a test run tonight and report back.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #84
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'm 5'11, but long legged. I have to stoop or move forward very slightly to have calm air with the stock shield in calm weather. Any kind of wind and I'm getting a lot of noise. I need just a couple inches more on the stock shield.

I'm going to give the standard Aero a try. 4" taller than the stock. I think the biggest benefit will result from the pressure relief by having the big scoop at the bottom.

Shield worked great on a 30 mile ride tonight. Speeds were under 70. There is still some low frequency rumbling above 60. At speeds below 45 I can open my helmet face shield and have calm quiet air.

The standard height is perfect for me. In a normal sitting position, my view of the road over the top of the shield starts about 20' in front of me. I can slouch slightly and lean forward a bit to be completely protected behind the shield in rain.

Verdict?