ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #76
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Thanks, Jim!

Those R1 bags look like a small hotel.


The bags on the DL are the same dimensions as yours - only one inch taller.

Your goodie bag should be arriving today.


Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #77
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Thanks, Jim!

Those R1 bags look like a small hotel.


The bags on the DL are the same dimensions as yours - only one inch taller.

Your goodie bag should be arriving today.
Thanks Kirk! Those are some fine hinges! I really appreciate this!

Now, side or front? Hmmmmm!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #78
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Thanks Kirk! Those are some fine hinges! I really appreciate this!

Now, side or front? Hmmmmm!

Jim
It's the least I could do. I sent you the M6 version as it fit your lid better. They are 10MM narrower overall. That's the size I will continue to stock. M8 is stronger than needed.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #79
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
It's the least I could do. I sent you the M6 version as it fit your lid better. They are 10MM narrower overall. That's the size I will continue to stock. M8 is stronger than needed.
I like the way they lay flush against each other when all the way open without adding extra tension to the box material.

I'll be installing them this week! They perfectly match my clasps as well!

By the way, yesterday was my first chance to test the seals on my panniers and I have to say, they passed perfectly! The only water came in from my revised mounts. I need to add seals to the holes.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #80
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I like the way they lay flush against each other when all the way open without adding extra tension to the box material.

I'll be installing them this week! They perfectly match my clasps as well!

By the way, yesterday was my first chance to test the seals on my panniers and I have to say, they passed perfectly! The only water came in from my revised mounts. I need to add seals to the holes.

Jim
I wish I would have known that. I could have sent you some 1/4" I.D. x 5/8" O.D. stainless/rubber sealing washers.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #81
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I wish I would have known that. I could have sent you some 1/4" I.D. x 5/8" O.D. stainless/rubber sealing washers.
Not a problem, we are talking very minor amounts, a few drops in a heavy rain for 10 minutes on the freeway at speed. Had I not added an extra two holes per bag I doubt there would be a leak at all!

Thanks again!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #82
Dwreker
The Wrecker
 
Dwreker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: VA
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

(dwrecker - yours is bottom right!!!! an Aussie brand!)
HAHA Yes! That is amazing! Thank you! Sending you a PM. The opener looks great on the KLR!
Dwreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #83
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 2,478
The bottle opener option is top notch.

Ps: you have progressed way beyond "rookie" and are in the "artist" category now brother.

Good things apparently happen on good people.

Still trying to find out why my life sucks
__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks.
Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”


~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #84
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer
 
phreakingeek's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: VA
Oddometer: 379
Spotted!

Saw my first Kirk box in the wild today...

There I was, driving to work in the truck...with the repetitive swish of the windshield wipers going back and forth. The hypnotic sound of the rain creating a gentle hum in the background. As I crossed an intersection in a herd of sheet metal covered elephants I spot out of the corner of my eye, the lone Bavarian gazelle is crouched off to my right.

As I pass, I couldn't help but notice the muted glint of raw aluminum peeking out from behind the raingear suited rider. Low, it that the fabled Kirk trunk box I see? Can it be?

But alas, the herd passed by and I was left wanting. Craning my neck...slowing somewhat...I couldn't see the gazelle.

Then as I waited in a slow moving line of animals...the gazelle passed me on the right.

The top box looked more majestic in person than the online pictures can convey. Bravo Kirk, Bravo!
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #85
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 2,478
phreakinggeek,

May I have a cup of what your having today, please>?

I want my pain to go away too, and just see puppies, bunnies and shiny panniers when I close my eyes

(and let go of the handlebars)...
__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks.
Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”


~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #86
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
The bottle opener option is top notch.

Ps: you have progressed way beyond "rookie" and are in the "artist" category now brother.

Good things apparently happen on good people.

Still trying to find out why my life sucks

Thanks, man! I appreciate it!


After getting the openers, I found that Brown Mfg (the people who produce StarrX openers) will also laser etch or screen print whatever you want on the opener. Hmmmm..... wheels turning!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #87
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
Saw my first Kirk box in the wild today...

There I was, driving to work in the truck...with the repetitive swish of the windshield wipers going back and forth. The hypnotic sound of the rain creating a gentle hum in the background. As I crossed an intersection in a herd of sheet metal covered elephants I spot out of the corner of my eye, the lone Bavarian gazelle is crouched off to my right.

As I pass, I couldn't help but notice the muted glint of raw aluminum peeking out from behind the raingear suited rider. Low, it that the fabled Kirk trunk box I see? Can it be?

But alas, the herd passed by and I was left wanting. Craning my neck...slowing somewhat...I couldn't see the gazelle.

Then as I waited in a slow moving line of animals...the gazelle passed me on the right.

The top box looked more majestic in person than the online pictures can convey. Bravo Kirk, Bravo!




Those are some FINE creative writing skills you have, my friend!!!


I felt like I was there watching the elephants!

kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #88
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss
 
6USMC6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The "Upper" Valley of the Shenandoah.
Oddometer: 4,569
That's easy......

ADVenture Rider Survival Tool !!!

From the fertile Imagination of Kirkster70 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Thanks, man! I appreciate it!


After getting the openers, I found that Brown Mfg (the people who produce StarrX openers) will also laser etch or screen print whatever you want on the opener. Hmmmm..... wheels turning!
__________________
Mike -

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #89
JRose
Studly Adventurer
 
JRose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Birmingham, 'Murica
Oddometer: 627
Remember, next time you have a 2013 F800GS in the shop to get a set of balanced panniers, make two racks!
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #90
elnonio
shedding n00bness
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Seoul
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
Saw my first Kirk box in the wild today...

There I was, driving to work in the truck...with the repetitive swish of the windshield wipers going back and forth. The hypnotic sound of the rain creating a gentle hum in the background. As I crossed an intersection in a herd of sheet metal covered elephants I spot out of the corner of my eye, the lone Bavarian gazelle is crouched off to my right.

As I pass, I couldn't help but notice the muted glint of raw aluminum peeking out from behind the raingear suited rider. Low, it that the fabled Kirk trunk box I see? Can it be?

But alas, the herd passed by and I was left wanting. Craning my neck...slowing somewhat...I couldn't see the gazelle.

Then as I waited in a slow moving line of animals...the gazelle passed me on the right.

The top box looked more majestic in person than the online pictures can convey. Bravo Kirk, Bravo!
This what you saw? Looks even bigger in the pictures, actually!



__________________
Antonio
elnonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014