Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #46
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
Thinking ,,,,, if you need instructions on storing your massive tool selection, seems the BMW is the right choice for you. Or maybe a Segway!
Either BMW had done an outstanding job of standardizing all the screws and bolts on the bike or that is the most pathetic attempt of a toolkit I've ever seen on an adventure bike.

No allen key? No torx? Not even a wrench? Come on... for that price on a new bike? I can get a pretty impressive basic toolkit for $10 at the local hardware store!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #47
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Either BMW had done an outstanding job of standardizing all the screws and bolts on the bike or that is the most pathetic attempt of a toolkit I've ever seen on an adventure bike.

No allen key? No torx? Not even a wrench? Come on... for that price on a new bike? I can get a pretty impressive basic toolkit for $10 at the local hardware store!
Hey, it's a BMW. Everyone knows how reliable and dependable they are.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #48
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Hey now, lets not knock BMW down. It is an awesome machine and it is the Mother of ADV riding, all come after it!
I have a 2012 R1200 ADV with 8k miles on it. It has been perfect, except from when I got water in the engine crossing a shallow river fast. In fact, that is my only Turn off about the GS. I hope KTM will not have the Air intact problem... In fact, where is the Air intake on 1190?? Did BMW change the location on the new GS??
With that said, I have been riding in places that people on smaller dirt bikes had asked me : "How did you get this big bike here?"
No a pro but I have been in love with offroad riding, and learning as much as possible since I bought the GSA, in addition of long trips.
I am not sure what the new GS is like, choose not to test drive one yet until the KTM 1190 is available in USA.
Love the look of the 1190R, I think it looks better than the GS... Looking forward to see what the new 2014 BMW GSA will look like. In fact, when the new GSA arrive, it is when I will test drive both.
More likelly buy a 1190 R, just for the fun of having something different. On my 30 years of riding, I have and riding just about every brand out there. I went from a Pirate outfit (Harleys) to my present Power Ranger ones (BMW) :) So, not a brand fanatic, just love motorcycles, all of them. If my wife would let me, I would have at the leat 3 in the guarage...
So... in short, I can't wait to test drive the 1190 R !! Very excited about it!! But will not buy it until I take the 2014 GSA for a spin...
Cheers,
from Nashville.
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #49
licascurtu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
I'm coming from a 2010 990 adv and I can tell you tha you are wrong, this bike (the R) off road is great and with much easier to handle from a throttle point of view because it's softer and flexible in the low rev. It's an important caratteristic for the off road (to me).
The only limit, only in the extreme off road, if we compare it with the 990 adv R is the ground clearance.
I think the first difference you'll see if u take the 1190 R where u take the regular 990 is the front rim....you won't have one anymore on the 1190 (to wide) now if u do the same like I did on my 990 and get a narrower one it'll be interesting to see how 150hp will work with 1.85 or 1.60 rim size ?????
licascurtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #50
licascurtu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Hey, it's a BMW. Everyone knows how reliable and dependable they are.
Yep I know how it is I ride 990 and my wife is riding bmw 800gs. The beemer is so reliable I don't need tools for fixing a flat, changing the oil bla bla bla.....thank god I have my Ktm tool kit
licascurtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #51
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,795
My first BMW had a tool kit, tire pump and patch kit. You could fix your own flat on the ride home from the dealer. You could adjust the steering head bearings or the swing arm. What year was that? The drive shaft lasted longer than the frame.

Well all that changed. Those BMW Engineers retired and the BE's took over. (baby engineers) Got rid of all my BMW's when I realized I carried tie downs and a tow rope everywhere.

Though, true adventure is not knowing if you can make it back home.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #52
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
I have a 2012 R1200 ADV with 8k miles on it. It has been perfect, except from when I got water in the engine crossing a shallow river fast. In fact, that is my only Turn off about the GS. I hope KTM will not have the Air intact problem... In fact, where is the Air intake on 1190?? Did BMW change the location on the new GS??

Cheers,
from Nashville.
I do not think having 8k miles on a bike is enough to announce the reliability of a vehicle.

Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #53
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I do not think having 8k miles on a bike is enough to announce the reliability of a vehicle.

Cheers.
8000 lol that's one trip for me sometimes. I put 8000 on a new BMW in just over a week. Yep she's 10 days old hasn't broke yet must be reliable. :
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #54
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post

Cheers.
Ya but did ya miss the part where he said it can't cross a shallow river without sucking water? Surely that's a feature of some sort.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #55
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Talking about groupies... just notice 3 of them here....
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #56
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Hardly a groupie I've owned every big BMW dual sport of the last decade and three big KTMs. My opinions are firmly based on experience with both marques.

Also the comment was poking fun at the logic not the brand.

v8toilet screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 08:51 PM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #57
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:

Nah just comedians.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #58
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
been ridding ktm's since earlly 80's

just as unreliable as the bmw's i've owned

both pretty good

my brakes still work on my servo braked bm when motor off/battery as well

i love the way people knock bikes without owning them

now about tractor harley's. lol

cheers
+1
I've 40k miles on my '11 GSA. I put about that mileage on my former 950. Both bikes are wonderful but in different ways. I had a lot of issues with the 950 that I'm certain have been ironed out after all the years of improvement. The GSA is huge but very capable, just more road oriented, which is where most of us spend 85% of our time. The 950 was incredible off-road and pretty good on. I'm certain the 1190 will be incredible almost everywhere. Ride on.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #59
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
I do not think I deserve the title "groupie".

Quote:
I didn't even refer to a brand name . I have always shout out when my KTM, my first bike bought new, bugged me with all sort of problems early 950Advs had. I remember "groupies", attacking complaining KTM owners with the moto "go buy a Vstrom then". I can say problems have reduced in the last years or cures have been found by us, inquisitive minded riders. OTOH we should point out BMWs are not perfect either. I never owned one so can only speak form other peoples' experience.
I still believe it is too early to diagnose a vehicle reliability before the first 30k miles, being either a BMW or KTM or a Yamaha.
Cheers groupies.

P.S. The trolls say you are a groupie
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #60
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrogomezrios View Post
Hey, what do you think?

Flip a coin.

Same bike except for the logo.