ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #3931
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,299
I just spent about 3-4 hours going thru this thread trying to find these 2 posts again. man, this thing is huge!

Has anyone else removed GT/6? Does anyone have a source for the pins for this connector? I would like to use the 2 positive connections to run some relays for my electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post
Was doing some research on this to see if a bad regulator would blow a head light fuse on the new bikes, and I cant see it happening.

The new bikes are full DC, so, any problems would show up as over/under charging the battery.

As I was looking over the wiring diagrams, I did see that KTM has gone to a new style of regulator. The new one has an internal relay that provides a ground when the bike is running. (actually two ground outputs). Now, on the EXC models, these grounds are not really used, they are spliced together with a chassis ground. So you could wire in the regulator that you linked to.

But, on the XC/W models, these two grounds are what is used to turn the bike 'on', so to speak. Remember, the whole bike is now DC, so, in order for the lights to work and the ECU to power up, there needs to be a 'switch' somewhere. On the older system, the lights were A/C, so the 'switch' was the stator, no output, no lights.

On the new bikes, (XC/W) as soon as the reg. gets power from the stator, the internal relay pulls in, and the ground outputs are made, these are used to pull in two relays, one power relay for the ECU, and one light relay for the rest of the bike.



The above diagram is the two relays and the regulator. This is how the EXC is wired. you will note the connector GT/6, this is the two grounds from the reg. and the chassis ground wired together. I located this connector on my bike, pictured below


This is behind the head light mask.

On the XC/W, this is not there. So this got me to thinking as to why it is there on the EXC? Its to meet DOT regs, thats why. With this like it is on the EXC, the lights turn on when ever the key is on. This worried me on an off road bike, thinking I might inadvertently leave the key on and kill the battery. So I removed the plug, and guess what, the lights no longer come on with the key, nor does the fuel pump! But the bike starts, and the lights and pump come on as soon as the engine is spinning.

So, just thought I'd share my findings
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post
One other thing I noted was in the same connector GT/6, ther are two unused wires. These wires are a always hot line, wh-or and a switched hot line, rd. you can see them below next to F5 on the diagram

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #3932
motorcycledave1000
Speed Thrills
 
motorcycledave1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Entrapment, USA
Oddometer: 82
2014 500 exc

Hi all,

Was cruising the KTM website and information for the 2014 500 EXC is up.

Not on the USA web site though, go to the UK version here:

http://www.ktm.com/gb/enduro/500-exc-eu/highlights.html

Boy we americans get boned by KTM when it comes to new stuff, no 1190 yet and no 2014's yet. And, no Six-Days models.

European version EXC doesn't look street legal, more like our XC-W. Has it always been this way?

From the website:

"Spoiler, airbox cover and front fender, including headlight mask and headlight, have all been restyled for 2014"

"A new, refined graphic design with clear lines underlines the high demands made of a modern, state-of-the-art offroad motorcycle."

"A new handbrake armature has been employed for the 2014 model year, with new remote reservoir, smaller brake piston diameter and a new lever with optimised lever kinematics. As a result and thanks to optimised sintered brake pads (Toyo B169), the performance and application of the front brake have been perceptibly improved again."

"The cylinder head is equipped with an overhead camshaft, which has been reduced in weight by approx. 10% for MY 2014."

"The lightweight, forged piston with a box-in-box design is equipped with the high-performance piston rings of the 450 SX‑F for MY 2014. The benefits are reduced oil consumption and optimised performance."

"So the new frame not only shines with the new colour, it also clearly represents the benchmark in terms of weight and stability."

"For the 2014 model year, our engineers have revised the chainguide for the benefit of higher functional reliability, while simultaneously reducing the weight."

"Newly developed high-performance fork oil and new seal rings provide improved responsiveness with more constant damping properties."

Enjoy.
__________________
-Soup-r Dave

2008 KTM990 Adventure
2002 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2002 Yamaha WR-426
1983 Honda V45 Interceptor
motorcycledave1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #3933
GS eh!
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Oddometer: 165
Flexx Bar Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Thanks for the link Bill - When we get our bikes side by side it'll be interesting to see if there are any noticeable differences in the light thrown between the BD and Sanjoh's set-up.

Just got the Faast Flexx bars and Pauls HDB guards delivered. Hacksawing the bars narrower with the broken arm will be fun.
Hi FTB, have you got the Flexx Bars installed yet? If so did you have any issues with the clutch line running into the pivot area of the center section?

I have HDB top clamp and guards as well and have just installed the Flexx Bars. I cannot rotate the clutch lever to a comfortable position as the huge MF fitting on the clutch line hits the bars.

This has been discussed WRT the HDB stuff, and i had no problems with the stock bars. I am wondering if anyone looked into a replacement clutch line or any other form of adjusting the angle of the clutch line.

I may end up pulling things apart and making a custom fitting or some other arrangement..

Always best to see if someone has a working solution before re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks,

Richard
GS eh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #3934
mmjsport
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 34
I hope they are available soon. I'm curious to when the first 2013 models arrived here in the states? How early did some of you guys get yours in 2012?
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #3935
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....
 
KrustyKustom's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Desert-away from people...
Oddometer: 590
For 2014

I noticed they went back to Excel A7 rims again, no more giant brand
__________________
Krusty Kustom,
Houston Texas
2013 KTM 500exc
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #3936
catalina38
Contrarian
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Stingray bay CA.
Oddometer: 1,519
2014 500 and 350 exc are up on the US website
The question is when are they available?
__________________
A mangy man chasing a cautionary tale

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #3937
mmjsport
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
2014 500 and 350 exc are up on the US website
The question is when are they available?
i didn't see them. It has the 2014 350 EXC-F on it but with the old picture and information.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #3938
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I just spent about 3-4 hours going thru this thread trying to find these 2 posts again. man, this thing is huge!

Has anyone else removed GT/6? Does anyone have a source for the pins for this connector? I would like to use the 2 positive connections to run some relays for my electronics.
There are 2 GT/6 connectors, which one are you referring to? On the diagrams there is a 2 wire connector that doesn't connect to anything on page 242 and a 3 wire connector on page 244. The 3 wire GT/6 connector is for the ignition switch. If you want to remove the ignition key switch there is a ignition switch eliminator plug that replaces the one that is there. With the eliminator plug installed pushing the start button will start the motor and the lights will come on after the engine is running. you may be able to run the relays from the 2 wire connector. S10 is the ign key switch and K10 is the starter relay.
If you are looking for KTM connectors and pins here is a link to the ktm connector parts manual.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3854
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #3939
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Now serving just Snohomish County
Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
There are 2 GT/6 connectors, which one are you referring to? On the diagrams there is a 2 wire connector that doesn't connect to anything on page 242 and a 3 wire connector on page 244. The 3 wire GT/6 connector is for the ignition switch. If you want to remove the ignition key switch there is a ignition switch eliminator plug that replaces the one that is there. With the eliminator plug installed pushing the start button will start the motor and the lights will come on after the engine is running. you may be able to run the relays from the 2 wire connector. S10 is the ign key switch and K10 is the starter relay.
If you are looking for KTM connectors and pins here is a link to the ktm connector parts manual.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3854
Thanks! They are really all in the same 6 pin connector. If you look carefully at the drawing, you will see where it identifies which pin number is for which wire and position in the connector. Of course there is a male and female side. One is the GT/6 (the black one in the picture) and the other is the GS/6 (the white one with the heat shrink covering whatever ties the grounds together). I am planning to remove the side (GS/6) that just ties all 3 grounds together at pins 2,4, and 5 and pop the pins out. Then get new pins and use the ones I want for my add on wiring. I was looking for a stock or aftermarket source for the pins. I looked in that catalog and cannot identify which one of those 6 pin connectors is the right one.

Just my luck that I picked up my 2013 500EXC last Thursday and today they introduce the 2014. Oh well. It is still a kick ass machine!

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #3940
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Lost in the jungles of Thailand
Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post
Hi FTB, have you got the Flexx Bars installed yet? If so did you have any issues with the clutch line running into the pivot area of the center section?

I have HDB top clamp and guards as well and have just installed the Flexx Bars. I cannot rotate the clutch lever to a comfortable position as the huge MF fitting on the clutch line hits the bars.

This has been discussed WRT the HDB stuff, and i had no problems with the stock bars. I am wondering if anyone looked into a replacement clutch line or any other form of adjusting the angle of the clutch line.

I may end up pulling things apart and making a custom fitting or some other arrangement..

Always best to see if someone has a working solution before re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks,

Richard
Sorry to say cannot offer any input at this point as the bars are bolted up but I cannot climb on board to position the levers and bars properly since the bike is without wheels, forks, or shock and balancing too precarious for me to climb onboard with one arm.
__________________
Cheers,
Team FTB
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #3941
mknj671
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS eh! View Post
Hi FTB, have you got the Flexx Bars installed yet? If so did you have any issues with the clutch line running into the pivot area of the center section?

I have HDB top clamp and guards as well and have just installed the Flexx Bars. I cannot rotate the clutch lever to a comfortable position as the huge MF fitting on the clutch line hits the bars.

This has been discussed WRT the HDB stuff, and i had no problems with the stock bars. I am wondering if anyone looked into a replacement clutch line or any other form of adjusting the angle of the clutch line.

I may end up pulling things apart and making a custom fitting or some other arrangement..

Always best to see if someone has a working solution before re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks,

Richard
Richard,
I run the Flexx bars on my 500, use EE barkbusters/Sicass roost deflectors and the BRP flex mounts to get everything lined up. I did need to bend the barkbusters a bit in a vice but after some alteration I was able to get everything lined up nicely. Clutch side was fine with BRP mount but my brake line used to run over the top of the mount at a strange angle until I installed 15MM bar risers - now everything is routed under like it should be.
__________________
2012 KTM 500 EXC | 2010 Aprilia RSV4
mknj671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #3942
catalina38
Contrarian
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Stingray bay CA.
Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjsport View Post
i didn't see them. It has the 2014 350 EXC-F on it but with the old picture and information.

http://www.enduro360.com/2013/05/08/...4-ktm-350-exc/
__________________
A mangy man chasing a cautionary tale

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #3943
mmjsport
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
I hope they will be available relatively soon.
mmjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #3944
GS eh!
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Oddometer: 165
Flexx bars

I am going to add the BRP mounts as well, I have cut the ends of the HDB guards and am waiting for the mailman.

I still need to sort out the clutch, it's rotated as far as it will go, but the lever is still in a bad spot.

Next week I will take the clutch line apart and see what I can make to move the line away from the bars
GS eh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #3945
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Thanks! They are really all in the same 6 pin connector. If you look carefully at the drawing, you will see where it identifies which pin number is for which wire and position in the connector. Of course there is a male and female side. One is the GT/6 (the black one in the picture) and the other is the GS/6 (the white one with the heat shrink covering whatever ties the grounds together). I am planning to remove the side (GS/6) that just ties all 3 grounds together at pins 2,4, and 5 and pop the pins out. Then get new pins and use the ones I want for my add on wiring. I was looking for a stock or aftermarket source for the pins. I looked in that catalog and cannot identify which one of those 6 pin connectors is the right one.

Just my luck that I picked up my 2013 500EXC last Thursday and today they introduce the 2014. Oh well. It is still a kick ass machine!

In the spare connectors parts list AP and BH are the ignition lock plug and socket connectors.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014