User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Bambooda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
First trip: Mechanical Engineer on a mission, Toronto to Alaska and back!

So, I just recently graduated from 4 years of Mechanical Engineering at McMaster University and have had a desire to ride across the country on a motorcycle for many years now! Since the job hunt wasn't turning up too much that looked interesting, I decided this was the time for me to implement this dream. So with about a month 'till my approximate date of departure, I hastily bought a bike, began research, my itinerary, and any work to the bike that needed to be done (I know, not one of the most brilliant decisions, but it was necessary). Then...the phone call... one of the companies I had been interested in called me for an interview... long story short, I got the job and they said I could have 2 months before I start working so I could do my trip! SWEET!!! The guys are really awesome and I look forward to working with them!

Rapidly burning all the money I saved, I purchased the gear it seemed I would need and accessories for the bike.

After a frantic month of final exams, trip planning, and bike preparation, everything was finally set to go!

Having spent no longer than 3 days away from home on a bike I knew it was going to be quite the jump spending 2 months out on the road hoping the bike doesn't shake itself to pieces, or that I get robbed, or eaten by a grizzly bear (as soooo many have warned me about....), oh yeah...and moose... lets not forget about those. Now, at the end of day 3 and in Thunder Bay, I have had a blast so far and can tell there will be TONS more enjoyable things to see and do!!!!

One of the first friends I made along the way in Blind River was a fellow from France, trying to hitch hike to Vancouver and back in 25 days! If I had room on the bike and an extra helmet, I would have taken him for sure!!!! He was a real nice guy and I hope he makes it there and back safe and sound!

I saw him again when I stop in Wawa! Too funny!

The days leading up to the trip I was getting extremely nervous and stressed, and sometimes sat there and asked myself "why the heck am I doing this; am I nuts??",
Oh yeah, that's right...I remember now

This morning on the way out of Wawa, it was cold...and raining...but that's ok, I have merino wool!!!!

Yup! that's ice on my windshield! But it's not actually colder than 0C...So how does this happen??? (And no, I'm not crazy enough to drive in sub-zero weather while it's raining.....yet) Time for your mini-physics lesson for the day: when a gas is rapidly compressed it rises in temperature (like in your engine!), vice-versa, it cools when rapidly expanded. As the air passes the windshield it tries to wrap around the windshield but the corner is too sharp and the air particles separate from the tailing edge of the windshield (kind of like when YOU take a corner too fast and end up in the ditch!) creating a void and drop in pressure reducing the temp enough to freeze the water....Now you know...

I will keep everyone as updated as much as time and free wifi will allow!

P.S. I am interested in partnering up/teaming up with others when I enter B.C./Yukon/Alaska, Please let me know if you are/know of anyone that is going to be around there late May/Early June!

Bambooda screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 01:29 AM
Bambooda is offline   Reply With Quote