Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #61
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
If you do not have another person to apply the rear brake pedal to remove/install the flywheel nut..............apply the rear brake and insert a flat blade screwdriver between the rear brake pedal and the pedal adjuster cam.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #62
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
If you do not have another person to apply the rear brake pedal to remove/install the flywheel nut..............apply the rear brake and insert a flat blade screwdriver between the rear brake pedal and the pedal adjuster cam.

Cheers
Good tip! thanks
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #63
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
No, the kickstart is a totally different system than the E-start, it is a leftover from the original kickstart only LC 4 engines...

To change out the sprague you will need a flywheel puller and also come up with a method to hold the engine from turning over under the high torque of the flywheel nut... The crank locking bolt is not the method to use as it will damage the crank webs... What I have done is to put the bike in a higher gear and use an air impact to free the nut {opposite thread, clockwise loosens}... And when it comes to tightening use a torque wrench and have someone step on the rear brake as you torque the nut...

Another way to do it is to use a pin wrench similar to what Tseta has used to fit the locking holes in the back of the flywheel and hold it from turning while torquing... To do this method you will need to remove the inner flywheel cover to get at it...
Ooohh! It's reversed threaded??? Thanks god you mentioned it, otherwise something tells me that I would have been cursing substantialy this comming weekend!

I ordered the flyweel extractor at the same time as the starter clutch. I also went ahead and got the clutch basket tool cause I think I'm gonna have a look at the oil pumps and the retaining clip/bar of the bearing that hides behing the clutch, that seems to sometimes wearout due to the bearing chattering or some such...
Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #64
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post
Based on your description of the symptoms (especially the parts about being hard to start while hot and that giving it some throttle sometimes helps) I would be putting my money on the starter sprague clutch being on its way out. I had a very similar experience and hunted for the cause for a long time, thinking it was somehow carb-related. Finally gave in and changed out the sprague and all was well.

-T
Turns out Tseta that you where on the money. Replaced the starter clutch today and hot-starting issue is gone. :)

And I tested the kick start before changing it and it started the bike no problem! Had I know I would have been a lot more relax last weekend on the trails... well, live and learn.

Again, thank you all for the help!
-J
Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #65
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,991
Sorting out the issues

I'd chalk up all these little puzzles you've had to solve as a good learning experience... It's a bonus to the traveler to be familiar with the inner workings of the engine and be able to maintain and repair things without looking for a dealership every time.... I read many ride reports where a such a simple thing as a flat tire can be a show stopper due to lack of basic knowledge...

We'll see you when you get out to the coast...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #66
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i'm off to see the world!

Thank you everyone for your help and time!

If you care to, you can follow the trip on the following thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post21675161
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #67
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,399
you already drowned it ?
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #68
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,907
What a list of things prepped on the link.
Very nice.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote