Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
That is a good article to stir the pot.

Ben Spies sent Cal a funny and telling tweet after this weekend. To paraphrase:

@CalCrutchlow

One of three things are about to happen:

1. your bike will get slower
2. you will receive a factory bike
3. the factory team will take your bike for themselves.

If Krop says never, regarding Stoner, I believe him. I am not one to use absolutes, myself.

I miss Adriana. Moto GP needs to show more Lucy to make up for her absence.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #2342
Rd650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I would love to see Stoner return on a Ducati.
Rd650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #2343
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Spot on Krop.

Melling is always so off base its ridiculous. He once claimed everything looked good for Norton to be on the grid in 2012. Isn't he also the guy who keeps stating as fact that Honda and Yamaha MotoGP budgets are $300-$400 million? Laughable.

So since I have no idea, what are rough annual budgets for Yamaha or Honda?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #2344
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Singles are cheaper and easier to produce. Moto 3 motors are real prototype motor.

In Moto 2, as a fan, I would love to see them with 2 or 3 cylinder motors, just to make the bikes more interesting. The wide Honda inline 4 makes the Moto 2 bikes fat and less beautiful. IMHO.

If the Moto 2 bikes were all based on the Aprilia SXV 550 motor...
How about MV 675 triples ?
Get another brand on the track while bringing back a legendary name.
Honda won't miss the sales.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #2345
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
OK, I don't like to bad-mouth other journos, especially as I'm no great shakes myself. But this Frank Melling character is so often so completely off base that it mystifies me why Motorcycle USA employs him. I have never seen him at a race, and I have no idea who he is. I did see his estimate for Yamaha's MotoGP budget once, which was out by an order of magnitude. From what I understand, Stoner is OK in Australia, though everything is not perfect. But he will never, ever race in MotoGP again. He despises us and the paddock, and most of all, Carmelo Ezpeleta. A Stoner return would be a victory for Ezpeleta.
thats one side of it.The other side which we mere mortals cannot understand may never be satisfied without 200 hp and only two wheels.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #2346
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
So since I have no idea, what are rough annual budgets for Yamaha or Honda?
About 50-80 million.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #2347
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post

Okay, let's look at the other sponsors, and at the other markets were their market exposure has been limited. From the rider gear to the energy drinks for starters.

Like here in North America. Beintv is very limited availability in the US, not at all in Canada. Now in the UK they have limited access.

In what world is this smart marketing of an entertainment product?
I was being facetious, and yes, you are largely right. You just picked the wrong example...
Old 05-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #2348
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
OK, I don't like to bad-mouth other journos, especially as I'm no great shakes myself. But this Frank Melling character is so often so completely off base that it mystifies me why Motorcycle USA employs him. I have never seen him at a race, and I have no idea who he is. I did see his estimate for Yamaha's MotoGP budget once, which was out by an order of magnitude. From what I understand, Stoner is OK in Australia, though everything is not perfect. But he will never, ever race in MotoGP again. He despises us and the paddock, and most of all, Carmelo Ezpeleta. A Stoner return would be a victory for Ezpeleta.
Just to add, I think there is nothing wrong with Motorcycle USA, it's a great publication. It's just Melling who has me confused.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #2349
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 374
Clearly it was a barge load of wild speculation....... but I would love to see it happen.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #2350
ducfer2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
So maybe nothing in this article is true, but the second to last paragraph is hilarious. (and probably would be close to the truth)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #2351
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post

In fairness to Melling, he flagged this article as nothing more than "well informed paddock gossip" and then put together what amounts to a very entertaining argument for why Stoner might have sufficient reason to return.

One major point of weakness is the suggestion that Stoner is not happy where he is and that he is itching to show those uppity Europeans Rossi and Marquez what's what.

It would be a huge thing for Stoner to turn around and head back to Europe and MotoGP, given what he has said about the scene and his distaste for it. Probably not going to happen.

Nevertheless ... running around Aussie circuits in production-based, control-chassis V8 four-wheelers does not sound very exciting for him at the moment. Nothing like the same opportunity for self-expression he found in MotoGP.

And then there is Stoner's psychology. Clearly he has felt underappreciated over most of his MotoGP career. He thinks people just don't get quite how good he is. Winning with Honda will have helped set that to rest, but now that Marquez has his old ride and Rossi seems to be back in contention it is very much "Stoner who?".

So, the valid point Melling makes is that an opportunity to make $15 million while wiping the floor with Rossi and Marquez, and on a Ducati - the bike that leached away at Rossi's self-belief - might look somewhat attractive to Stoner as he contemplates another weekend of biff and bash among the midfield of the support series for the domestic family-car championship.

I suspect he could convince himself that to return under such circumstances would not be a backdown. I am not sure he is quite so passive-aggressive as to deprive himself of the opportunity just to thwart Ezpelita.

Whether he has the stomach for it is a whole other question. Probably not.

And then there is that teensy little point that Melling leaps over in three words: "When Audi fixes the GP13, which they will ..."

Ducati would need to convince Stoner that the Duc would be on par with the Honda that he had already declined a $15 million offer to ride. It is not obvious how they will cook up enough evidence.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #2352
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
And then there is that teensy little point that Melling leaps over in three words: "When Audi fixes the GP13, which they will ..."

Ducati would need to convince Stoner that the Duc would be on par with the Honda that he had already declined a $15 million offer to ride. It is not obvious how they will cook up enough evidence.
This is a good point and raises the question if someone else starts having success on the Duc (let's say Dovi), why would they need to pay big bucks to put Stoner back on it?
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #2353
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
In fairness to Melling, he flagged this article as nothing more than "well informed paddock gossip" and then put together what amounts to a very entertaining argument for why Stoner might have sufficient reason to return.
You left out the part just before your bolded section where describes the scenario as "highly credible" which for Melling just means "Shit I'm making up". Indefensible.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #2354
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
... and most of all, Carmelo Ezpeleta.
Do tell.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #2355
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
This is a good point and raises the question if someone else starts having success on the Duc (let's say Dovi), why would they need to pay big bucks to put Stoner back on it?
Because Dovi is never going to beat lorenzo dani or MM even if the Ducati is on pare with the other factory bikes.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote