Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
qkenf4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
6+ yrs on my HF 1000lb lift w/ good wheel chock attached... no complaints.. have had everything from a scooter to a goldwing on the lift... no worries, stable, perfect...

got a HF near by and you can get 20% off the lift...

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...8&keycode=1003

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...8892-8495.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-69026.html
qkenf4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #17
gatorgrizz27
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I have the trailer you posted, it works great. I use their $40 wheel chock which is also awesome, and just hook straps on the frame of the trailer outside the stake pockets. FWIW, getting two bikes that you care about damage to will be tough on that trailer, dirt bikes are no problem, and I have fit 5 bikes that made a trip to the scrapyard on mine, strapped across the top.

You really want an impact wrench. For parting bikes out it is a massive time saver, I can have a bike stripped and the engine out in 30 minutes. You don't really have much need for a large compressor so an electric one could be fine, but they are heavy. A cordless impact driver is also awesome for body panels and side covers, but they don't have enough grunt for chassis bolts typically.

When I was parting out bikes heavily, I just used a dedicated shelf for each bike, that way you don't have to tag and label every single part. I would tear one bike down completely, photograph every part, then toss it on a shelf and do another one. Put parts on ebay for what you want for 30 days, reduce it by half if they don't sell for another 30 days, then it's off to the scrapyard or trash.

If you have a large enough shop you can keep inventory longer, but I just wanted them in and out.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Best of luck! I've done a few 'roller' Buells that became choppers (I bought the bikes less engine) and enjoyed doing the same thing you are. I just haven't found many lately and an not the expert in some other brands to really make this a viable thing to do. Perhaps I need to start looking more...

Great suggestions on the tools, particularly the air tools. I don't yet have a lift, but do have a tire changer and a pile of hand tools from being an engineer. Pick things up as you need them and with some of the proceeds from your sales and your collection will grow quickly.
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
tire joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I have a 18 volt snap on cordless impact, it will take the lug nuts off a ton truck.
tire joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #20
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
the best tool that you can put your hands on at this point is a professional business adviser, most often provided free-of-charge through the business development agency of your city, county, or state.

when you complete a business plan and find out what it takes these days to operate a legitimate small business, complete with incorporation, insurance, license(s), accountant, tax ID, zoning permits, and so on, then you can decide if this is what you really want to do.

of course, you can try to operate gray market and stay under the radar as many do, but the risk is great. on any given day, someone may drop a dime on your operation, or worse, you start getting certified mail from some law firm, the IRS, or (fill in the blank here). when that day comes, every asset you have and every dollar you may earn will be fair game.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
Ponies ate my Bagel OP
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the best tool that you can put your hands on at this point is a professional business adviser, most often provided free-of-charge through the business development agency of your city, county, or state.

when you complete a business plan and find out what it takes these days to operate a legitimate small business, complete with incorporation, insurance, license(s), accountant, tax ID, zoning permits, and so on, then you can decide if this is what you really want to do.

of course, you can try to operate gray market and stay under the radar as many do, but the risk is great. on any given day, someone may drop a dime on your operation, or worse, you start getting certified mail from some law firm, the IRS, or (fill in the blank here). when that day comes, every asset you have and every dollar you may earn will be fair game.
This stuff kind of concerns me. I know very little about the business side of things. I'm good with doing the work, but I've never dealt with all the other things. I'm planning on starting pretty small, more of an expansion to the hobby I already have than a full business. According to what I've read I can dismantle and part out 3 bikes a year and sell up to 5 in CA before I have to get a dealers or dismantlers license. I don't know that I'd make enough to make a business profitable if I'm paying for licenses, accountants etc. I believe if I don't make more than $10k I can list it is a hobby on my taxes, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I'm not trying to be shady or anything, I just don't know how well this will work and I don't want to fork over the bucks until I know I've got something worth the effort.
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponies ate my Bagel View Post
This stuff kind of concerns me. I know very little about the business side of things. I'm good with doing the work, but I've never dealt with all the other things. I'm planning on starting pretty small, more of an expansion to the hobby I already have than a full business. According to what I've read I can dismantle and part out 3 bikes a year and sell up to 5 in CA before I have to get a dealers or dismantlers license. I don't know that I'd make enough to make a business profitable if I'm paying for licenses, accountants etc. I believe if I don't make more than $10k I can list it is a hobby on my taxes, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I'm not trying to be shady or anything, I just don't know how well this will work and I don't want to fork over the bucks until I know I've got something worth the effort.
You're being smart to be concerned . . . . .as above, there are many opportunities to get smarter about this stuff . . . . include local community colleges to the list, and chambers of commerce, as well.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
Ponies ate my Bagel OP
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
You're being smart to be concerned . . . . .as above, there are many opportunities to get smarter about this stuff . . . . include local community colleges to the list, and chambers of commerce, as well.
Yeah, I'm working on it. I'ts tough though, I'm working a full time job right now as well as prepping for a cross-country trip. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I need to do.
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote