User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
vagamoto OP
riding the world

Oddometer: 21
BMW dealer in Cancun

Beware the authorised BMW dealer in Cancun: Mayan Motors. I attempted to have my F650 serviced there last week (the 12 000 mile/20 000 km service). I specifically asked for the brake fluid, fork oil and coolant to be replaced. After a full day, and 5000 pesos, I got an oil change, a new chain (not asked for), rear sprocket and a bike wash using something that stained the wheel rims and took an hour to remove. What wasn't changed were: brake fluid, coolant, fork oil, new air filter, fuel filter or spark plugs. The battery wasn't checked, neither were the wheel bearings and steering bearings checked or greased. Fortunately there is a competent, helpful and really nice ex-BMW mechanic named Ricardo at biker'sshopcancun.com who re-did the service properly, for a really reasonable 2000 pesos. Local riders I met at Ricardo's also had bad experiences with Mayan Motors.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
dirtgirl7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Ricardo @ Bikers Garage

Hey David,
I was just on line trying to find Ricardo's web site to get a hold of him and Andreas in Cancun, and I saw your post. biker'sshop dosnt give me anything. Do you have Ricardo's phone # or any other contact info.

Also anyone riding in the Yucatan, I highly recomend Ricardo in Cancun he worked on my bike there a week ago-diagnosed and quick fixed a problem no one else could.
dirtgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
vagamoto OP
riding the world

Oddometer: 21
Ricardo

Hi there M. I have his email as bikersgaragecancun@hotmail.com but he hasn't replied to my mail yet. Maybe try the Ducati dealer next door, Jose Fierros on 998 1859043 or www.motokuri.com. Are you coming to Antigua soon? Please email me when you are due there. Cheers David
Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 785
Any word for a good bike mechanic in that area? I'm heading that way and really just need a hand with removing my countersprocket.

I want to change my rear tire and both sprockets (which I have with me... and are weighing me down!!!!). I need a HUGE socket to remove the countersprocket.

Alternatively, anyone in the area have a giant socket set and a shadey place to let a stinky biker do some work? I don't really want to pay a dealer/shop to do the work for me when it is something I can easily do myself. If so, please PM me.

I'm heading towards cancun then south to belize then guatemala over the course of the next two weeks. My chain has quite a few more miles left on it, but the tire is another story.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
mayatrial
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have a good experience with Mayan Motors.

I have a very good experience with Mayan Motors, in many times I left my bike per 6 months and they dont charge anything and they give always a excellent service, I know Ricardo and he still some parts of the dealer and they fire him.

I know more people who have a good experience with Mayan Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagamoto View Post
Beware the authorised BMW dealer in Cancun: Mayan Motors. I attempted to have my F650 serviced there last week (the 12 000 mile/20 000 km service). I specifically asked for the brake fluid, fork oil and coolant to be replaced. After a full day, and 5000 pesos, I got an oil change, a new chain (not asked for), rear sprocket and a bike wash using something that stained the wheel rims and took an hour to remove. What wasn't changed were: brake fluid, coolant, fork oil, new air filter, fuel filter or spark plugs. The battery wasn't checked, neither were the wheel bearings and steering bearings checked or greased. Fortunately there is a competent, helpful and really nice ex-BMW mechanic named Ricardo at biker'sshopcancun.com who re-did the service properly, for a really reasonable 2000 pesos. Local riders I met at Ricardo's also had bad experiences with Mayan Motors.
mayatrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
Any word for a good bike mechanic in that area? I'm heading that way and really just need a hand with removing my countersprocket.

I want to change my rear tire and both sprockets (which I have with me... and are weighing me down!!!!). I need a HUGE socket to remove the countersprocket.

Alternatively, anyone in the area have a giant socket set and a shadey place to let a stinky biker do some work? I don't really want to pay a dealer/shop to do the work for me when it is something I can easily do myself. If so, please PM me.

I'm heading towards cancun then south to belize then guatemala over the course of the next two weeks. My chain has quite a few more miles left on it, but the tire is another story.
I'm thinking an auto garage/mechanico, most any place, if you just need that nut loosened and then tightened back.
A pack of smokes, a few whatevers....
No need for a bike shop.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
5 years ago... maybe Ricardo is no longer a thief? & Mayan Motors does better work?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,944
Quote:
Why did you pay the bill?
The chain (and it should have been two sprockets and not one) and sprocket was likely part of the recall campaign.
Were you specific with your request for the 20,000km service?
The BMW dealers in Mexico will print this out and go over it with you point by point and you can opt in or out of various points of service on the list.
Did they understand your English or did you speak to them in Spanish?
Battery check? WTF? Does your bike start? Does it keep running? That is something that is not exactly rocket science.
Steering bearings? Were they notchy? Giving you problems? They can easily retorque them to spec but to grease them means much more work.
Fork oil is a big job on the F658, in the amount of time you will be looking at to drop the forks. Was it really necessary at 20k? I did mine at 40K.
Spark plugs are renewed at 40k, not 20k
Air filter? Buy one and do it yourself in about 10 minutes.
Coolant? Not a good idea to trust just any shop with this as most of them screw it up and don't bleed the system correctly. You then, in the toasty climate of the Mayan Riveria have hot coolant shooting out of the overflow tank at you.
Brake fluid? Hmmmmm. Do you change your brake fluid on your car every 20k kms?
Let's be realistic, you got taken by the dealer, you got taken for more after that experience, and they likely did the valve check that is specified and that is what you were paying so much for.
If anyone else is contemplating having service done at a BMW service center in Mexico, print the service schedule or at least have a PDF copy on your phone or your laptop etc... and go over it point by point with the service writer and be specific and make sure you are understood.
I am not making excuses for BMW dealers in Mexico, they are likely the worst you will ever find anywhere, but as a customer you have to know what you want and be specific and have them write the service order correctly and make sure you understand it and they understand it.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
I'm thinking an auto garage/mechanico, most any place, if you just need that nut loosened and then tightened back.
A pack of smokes, a few whatevers....
No need for a bike shop.
I know I'm shitty at replying to threads. Here's my update.

http://www.gsomething.com/2008/07/29...ter-belize-it/

It is fun to look at old posts/blog entries. I really had no idea what I was doing. Who knows if it is more fun now or then. My guess is to get the same 'feeling of adventure' I had then I just have to push it much further now. That entire trip I was terrified the whole time.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,214
It's obvious to everyone but you he was specific in what he asked for.
And I'm sure he doesn't need a lecture on maintenance from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Why did you pay the bill?
The chain (and it should have been two sprockets and not one) and sprocket was likely part of the recall campaign.
Were you specific with your request for the 20,000km service?
The BMW dealers in Mexico will print this out and go over it with you point by point and you can opt in or out of various points of service on the list.
Did they understand your English or did you speak to them in Spanish?
Battery check? WTF? Does your bike start? Does it keep running? That is something that is not exactly rocket science.
Steering bearings? Were they notchy? Giving you problems? They can easily retorque them to spec but to grease them means much more work.
Fork oil is a big job on the F658, in the amount of time you will be looking at to drop the forks. Was it really necessary at 20k? I did mine at 40K.
Spark plugs are renewed at 40k, not 20k
Air filter? Buy one and do it yourself in about 10 minutes.
Coolant? Not a good idea to trust just any shop with this as most of them screw it up and don't bleed the system correctly. You then, in the toasty climate of the Mayan Riveria have hot coolant shooting out of the overflow tank at you.
Brake fluid? Hmmmmm. Do you change your brake fluid on your car every 20k kms?
Let's be realistic, you got taken by the dealer, you got taken for more after that experience, and they likely did the valve check that is specified and that is what you were paying so much for.
If anyone else is contemplating having service done at a BMW service center in Mexico, print the service schedule or at least have a PDF copy on your phone or your laptop etc... and go over it point by point with the service writer and be specific and make sure you are understood.
I am not making excuses for BMW dealers in Mexico, they are likely the worst you will ever find anywhere, but as a customer you have to know what you want and be specific and have them write the service order correctly and make sure you understand it and they understand it.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
Probably not, but since you live in Punta Gorda in Florida in the USA, and I happen to live in Mexico and have so for the past two decades and ridden a few hundred thousand miles here on and off road, you might want to think before you call me out on BMW dealers in Mexico.
Blaming a dealer when you go in unprepared is not the best plan anywhere.
There is a lesson in my post that maybe even you will understand.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,771
Quote:
I attempted to have my F650 serviced there last week (the 12 000 mile/20 000 km service). I specifically asked for the brake fluid, fork oil and coolant to be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
Exactly, he asked for unnecessary maintenance/service items. They would have ripped him off had they replaced the brake fluid, fork oil and coolant.

A lecture on maintenance from MikeMike is exactly what he could have used at that time

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote