Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
speedmonkey7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
How do I tell if my bike has been lowered?

Hey everyone, I am an immensely proud new owner of an 06 950A and trying to figure some things out. I didn't think to ask the PO if the bike had been lowered or anything because frankly for the crazy low price he let it go for, and with only 1500 miles on it, I didn't care, lol. I am attaching a couple pics to see if you all can tell me if it's lowered and if it has a low seat on it. I'd go look at a 990 in a shop but there are none here, and I may have the only Adventure in the state! Anyway I'd appreciate any expert opinions. I suspect the lowering because on its sidestand it barely has enough lean angle to stay standing. I also bottom a lot and nail the skidplate regularly. That last part might just be getting used to a lower travel bike than all my previous bikes. I am getting ready to change fork seals today so maybe you could tell me what to look for in there? The PO got the bike from a dealer on Kauai and the owner of the shop rode it for a while before selling it, so I'm told. Eventually I'd like to swap to S suspension, but can't afford it right now, but I'd like to make sure I am getting as much travel as I can with the stock setup. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 106
Can't really tell from those pictures. What's the seat height?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
speedmonkey7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unruled View Post
Can't really tell from those pictures. What's the seat height?
I'll check once I get the forks back together. I didn't see any spacers that didn't belong or anything weird in the forks so maybe it wasn't messed with. Can you tell what seat that is? Sometimes I think it looks like the low seat and sometimes not. Its hard just looking at pictures I guess.

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
If you are changing the seals you can take the cartridge apart to see if there is a lowering spacer on the damper rod.

Take the base valve out, drain the oil, take the cap off, pull out the complete cap, spring, cartridge assembly.

Remove the cap, spring, unscrew the fluted black spring guide and let the damper rod come out the bottom of the cartridge from where the base valve goes.

If there is a spacer above the rebound spring, this is there to limit how far out the rod comes, thus limiting the extended length of the fork.

Be careful not to damage the split piston ring on the piston at the bottom of the rod.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
speedmonkey7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
If you are changing the seals you can take the cartridge apart to see if there is a lowering spacer on the damper rod.

Take the base valve out, drain the oil, take the cap off, pull out the complete cap, spring, cartridge assembly.

Remove the cap, spring, unscrew the fluted black spring guide and let the damper rod come out the bottom of the cartridge from where the base valve goes.

If there is a spacer above the rebound spring, this is there to limit how far out the rod comes, thus limiting the extended length of the fork.

Be careful not to damage the split piston ring on the piston at the bottom of the rod.
Ok fantastic info there! Thanks I just finished pulling the cartridge out of one and had to stop for a while. When I get back to it I'll pull it apart like you said and take a look. Thanks again!

-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,664
Just seeing the side stand, I'd say it hasn't been lowered.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,372
You could put it on the centerstand and measure how much air is under the rear tire. My 2008 has not been lowered, but it has nearly two inches under the rear tire. No wonder it's so hard to get up on the stand. The Ducati ST2 that I had before it didn't have enough room to stick a finger under the tire when on the centerstand - although I had raise the rear on that one about an inch.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
speedmonkey7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Just seeing the side stand, I'd say it hasn't been lowered.
Hmm so these bikes just don't lean over very far on the sidestand then? It seems ridiculous, if I'm on even a slight slope uphill to the left of the bike it won't stand on the sidestand! I have to turn around so it leans downhill. I mean a SLIGHT slope! That's why I figured maybe it had been lowered, how could engineers that designed a bike this good have goofed on this. I realize its not the end of the world, but it is annoying at times.

-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 05-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
speedmonkey7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
You could put it on the centerstand and measure how much air is under the rear tire. My 2008 has not been lowered, but it has nearly two inches under the rear tire. No wonder it's so hard to get up on the stand. The Ducati ST2 that I had before it didn't have enough room to stick a finger under the tire when on the centerstand - although I had raise the rear on that one about an inch.
Ill check that and see. It does go onto the center stand ok though.

-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 106
On street tires (Battlax BT021R) I have roughly 2" of room under the rear wheel, on the center stand. On Mefo's it's less than half an inch. Tires matter.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
On street tires (Battlax BT021R) I have roughly 2" of room under the rear wheel, on the center stand. On Mefo's it's less than half an inch. Tires matter.
So I should get some Mefo's when I finally wear out my Trail Attacks and I'll be able to get my bike on the centerstand more easily?

Sounds good to me.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Hmm so these bikes just don't lean over very far on the sidestand then? It seems ridiculous, if I'm on even a slight slope uphill to the left of the bike it won't stand on the sidestand! I have to turn around so it leans downhill. I mean a SLIGHT slope! That's why I figured maybe it had been lowered, how could engineers that designed a bike this good have goofed on this. I realize its not the end of the world, but it is annoying at times.

If it bothers you so much just take a 1/2" out of the side stand. If you don't have the equipment to do it simply take the side stand to a welding shop. Seems like a simple fix.
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,433
He said he also bottoms alot and hits the skidplate. That sounds lowered to me.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
speedmonkey7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm running heidenau k60s right now. I might go to a 140 80 more knobby style next, maybe that will help the lean angle a bit. I also just scored some .54 fork springs too so that should help bottoming and make it ride higher in the travel. Thanks again to everyone for your opinions! Well see how that works until I can afford the S suspension!

-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 05-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,021
Rear Spring Preload

No mention has been made as to how the rear preload has been set- the differences in full-hard vs full-soft is quite a bit, and effects it on the side stand as well as when riding.

run the preload adjuster all the way in and count the turns out. The adjuster needs to be moved periodically to keep it from seizing, which can be pricey to fix when the knob breaks off in your hand

depending on your weight you may need a rear spring to get your sag in the ballpark
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote