Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #616
bikefever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
no changes, true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
HI-Viz option is the only change this year, no structural mods - as emailed to me from Klim.
emailed with Klim as well...

"The only difference with the badlands will be that we have a new color. We have not changed the structure or the style or anything from previous years." Allee/Klim
bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #617
CDNRIDER09
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaert View Post
The problem were the upper vents on the sleeves. They added a flap to prevent rain getting in direct contact with the "water resistant" zipper. Now it is absolutely waterproof in my case as well for my riding buddy who had exactely the same problem.
You can read the whole story with illustrating images on our webpage under http://www.rvsz.ch/?page_id=59 (It's in german though)
Here one image of the modification:

www.rvsz.ch
Are they going to address this at all and improve the jacket right away or are they hoping that no other complaints are reported ?

It is a show-stopper for me at this time.
CDNRIDER09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #618
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRIDER09 View Post
Are they going to address this at all and improve the jacket right away or are they hoping that no other complaints are reported ?

I've never had a problem with the vents leaking. Yes, I'm usually in San Diego but I ride throughout the state for work. I've ridden through some toad chokers with no leakage. YMMV
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #619
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRIDER09 View Post

I live in St. John's, NL. One of the rainiest and windiest places there is. I have not had a leak yet (fingers crossed ). I am really careful about setting all the vent zippers up into the zipper garages, when not in use.

I am also liking the badlands collar. I am able cinch down over my collared dress shirts (commuting to the office) and haven't had a soaked collar yet. I use in conjunction with my Shoei Hornet with the chin spoiler and the reduced turbulence around the neck helps I think.
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #620
bikefever
Adventurer

Id like to ask those Guys who own BDP jacket, do you experience any difficulties putting gloves under the sleeves of the jacket? Do wrist gators make it difficult?

V-Strom 650 K9
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #621
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefever View Post
Id like to ask those Guys who own BDP jacket, do you experience any difficulties putting gloves under the sleeves of the jacket? Do wrist gators make it difficult?

V-Strom 650 K9
I wear Revit Comet gloves year round and do not have a problem with the cuff. They have a mini gauntlet.
In the winter, I use the thumb hole, summer I push the the gator back up the sleeve. I briefly had a pair of heated W&S gloves with a large gauntlet and I had a hard time putting them over the cuff, but that was no fault of the gator.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #622
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
just put your hand all the way through and don't put your thumb through the little hole in the sleeve. Just put your complete hand through the big hole no problems with gloves fitting insdie the sleeve,
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #623
philthyphil
Nomad

Oddometer: 73
Why would you want your glove inside you sleeve? Gauntlet style gloves are clearly superior in warmth and waterproofness. Is it a cool factor? There are gauntlet style gloves out there that don't look like Robert E Lee wore them.
philthyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #624
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyphil View Post
Why would you want your glove inside you sleeve? Gauntlet style gloves are clearly superior in warmth and waterproofness. Is it a cool factor? There are gauntlet style gloves out there that don't look like Robert E Lee wore them.
Hmm... last gauntlets gloves I wore the water would drip down my sleeves and into the gloves.

With the badlands I use shorter cuff Rukka Vauhuti's worn over the Badlands wrist gator (I don't loop the thumbs... I just tuck them into the gloves) and cinch the sleeve cuff over the glove cuff. keeps the wind and rain out perfectly.
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #625
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:

V-Strom 650 K9
This is my first jacket that doesn't have a zipper at the end of the sleeves, and I've noticed that getting my gauntlets under the sleeves is more difficult because of it, but not terrible. I wish they would have included a zipper with a gusset at the end of the sleeves to facilitate putting gloves under more easily.

Quote:
Superior in warmth, yes, at least that's been my experience. However, sometimes you don't want warmth... like when it's warm out. It's nice to have the air blow down your sleeves in warm weather. If you wear a glove with the gauntlet over the sleeves in the rain, the water will run down into your gloves when you are stopped, unless you make a concerted effort to keep your hands raised.

The only time that I wear the gauntlets over the sleeves is when I ride in the winter.

I never even thought about one way being cooler than the next.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #626
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
My gloves aren't exactly made to be worn over the cuffs and I prefer to have let air up my sleeves during the summer. The gator blocks wind in the winter.

Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #627
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,809
Finally bit the bullet and got my gear. First up is a big thanks to all those here I annoyed with stupid questions. Next thanks is to Amy from MX1West - great service and a really good deal with the Lyndon Poskitt discount.

Here's what I got to play with.

It's a Klim fest!

I don't think it's as stiff or heavy as folks have made out. Size wise I'mm pretty happy with the XL but wish I could have tried the L for comparison. As expected the sleeves are too long even for my neanderthal build but better too long than too short. The 38 pants are a bit snug in the waist but I expected that when I ordered and considering I'm shrinking gut wise they will be fine soon. Surprisingly the legs are a great fit for my ex footballer thighs - I often need to size up the waist to give me enough room in the leg.

So, initially I'm very happy

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #628
bikefever
Adventurer

Quote:
Why would you want your glove inside you sleeve?
Water does not drop down to settle inside your glove (and there is A LOT of rain here in Ireland)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #629
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:

V-Strom 650 K9
I cut the gators out of mine. In San Diego they reduce the airflow up the sleeves which is essential for cooling.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #630
CDNRIDER09
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
I live in St. John's, NL. One of the rainiest and windiest places there is. I have not had a leak yet (fingers crossed ). I am really careful about setting all the vent zippers up into the zipper garages, when not in use.
My concern is the impact of wear because of the "open and shut" effect on those zippers and the fact that they are exposed. As demonstrated by the experience of the inmates that were fitted with the modifications, having a "storm cover" seems like a good addition. In this price range, there must be some redundancy and no single point of failure. I wonder if the mods impacted significantly on the ability to generate airflow when those vents were opened during warmer days.

Our Canadian climate, as demonstrated by last June's data for example, will see 35C on a sunny day and very soon after (when leaving the campsite after taking down the wet tent) in the early morning, it will be 8C and raining all day... During an average 9 month riding season in eastern Canada, we have ridden through a range of -3 to 35C. Not an easy task to aim for a single jacket and pants combo solution.

The requirements are in essence: protection, breathability, waterproof, but all that must come with excellent airflow when we can afford/must ride with "vents open".

It seems like the Badland is very close but I am not yet convinced to spend that much to potentially experience leakage. I have spent so much time experiencing the Canadian weather having worked outside a lot that I know how difficult it can be to develop an 80% solution for our climate.

Thanks to thread like this one, we can get very good feedback.
CDNRIDER09 is online now   Reply With Quote