User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Oddometer: 313
Any advice for riding Pakistan?

I'd love to hear it--especially as a woman from the US. I'll be with a group on small loaner bikes, riding up to Khunjerab Pass in July. Others' experiences welcome.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Captn Spock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
at the risk of sounding politically biased and wrong. I'd say you're better off doing more research about it than less. Pakistan is a troubled state with poverty, crime and links to extremist groups. Trouble is never too far over there..

I would feel very unsafe riding through it if I were a woman; and American at that.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
I rode thru Pakistan from Iran to India with my GF as pillion 5 years ago. She had to obey the local dressing codes (wear a scarf, plus she decided to wear some cloth on top of her leather suit, so she kind of hid her female figure a bit, but this was optional, the head scarf however, was best to keep or there could have been problems). We never had any problems there, just incredibly friendly people. I believe the NWFP and Baluchistan are hotspots these days, the Karakoram Highway route should be relatively safe, and if your in a group, the organisers should know the areas that are safe and that are not safe. Happy travels!
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Daners5150
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Since I have a lot of experience in that region, I would strongly encourage you to look elsewhere for your motorcycle adventures. Horrible consequences are literally a stone's throw away and while there are wonderful people that live there, the wrong ones are some of the worst you'll see.

There are plenty of places (even in the region) that are safer, more hospitable and just as beautiful. That place is a mess and you couldn't pay me to go there...well...maybe you could.

If you do decide to go, do your homework and find someone to go with you that ABSOLUTELY know the areas you'll be travelling in. Along with knowing the areas, make sure you know your guide very very well and can trust them (as far as you can trust anyone)...and...take the time to learn the language, it can save your ass.

My best advice, pick somewhere else, this region is not a game and it's not a tourist destination. Life there is cheap...and Americans have a lot of money...
Daners5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
What kind of group? What did they tell you? Did you ask them how many women they have had on tours?

Things are a lot different when you're alone dressed in Western clothes versus in a big group with locals and foreigners along with you.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
cycleadventure
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Pakistan is a nice country then but with current political instability and existence of various extremist group its kind of a risk. If you really want to be their, keep yourself limited to the major cities. Anyway do a better study before landing your self on Pakistan..
Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Kernalpanx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Lived and worked in Karachi in the 90s for 2 years... Can't say I would recommend it.. I lived in a compound in Clifton a relatively wealthy and we'll guarded neighborhood... Even then women were never to walk alone outside the compound if they were foreigners... Much worse now then in the 90s. How big is your group and what company is running the tour... Everyone has a price in poor countries

Sent from my GT-I9308 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Kernalpanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Nemo View Post
I'd love to hear it--especially as a woman from the US. I'll be with a group on small loaner bikes, riding up to Khunjerab Pass in July. Others' experiences welcome.
Did you actually do this trip? it would be interesting to here about it if you did, Pakistan was about the most exciting place I have visited but that was in the 1990's when it was a lot safer.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote