Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #2656
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have a 452 and have been more impressed with that rifle than anything else I have. Inside at 25 yards (yes I know) it will do one ragged hole for an entire magazine.
My 452 in 17hm2 is amazingly accurate, as well. Great rifles.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #2657
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,186
A couple of 10/22 rifles with nice wood

As the title says...

An unfired Sporter with scope...

and a Talo special with French walnut, hand selected by yours truly...

gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #2658
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
My 452 in 17hm2 is amazingly accurate, as well. Great rifles.
I was in an evil mood back when I wrote that....you have no idea how bad I wanted to call it a clip just to see what happened.

I have three new guns I have yet to shoot...been on midways waiting list for what seems ever, I told myself that I would not get into my stash...but now it seems like I might....just got 32acp yesterday, so perhaps stuff is starting to flow again....I hope.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #2659
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,990
What's really really hard to find is 17hm2. It wasn't easy before the "shortage". Impossible, now, so I'm not shooting this one right now. Waiting for tree rat season to open. I can probably shoot it all summer at the rats on one box of cartridges.

Still waiting on the Kimber.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #2660
Fubar36x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
My first 10/22 build. I started with an inherited rifle and ended up with what you see. E.R Shaw Barrel, Boyds Stock, Tac Sol muzzle brake and mag release, and Nikon EFR Scope. I did have a chance to zero it, but the great ammo(e) drought has sadly kept it at home far too often.

Fubar36x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #2661
Bun-bun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
I'm pissed! I'm building my stainless 10/22 a bit at a time, as money comes available. So far I've installed a Volquartsen trigger assembly, extended bolt handle, extended mag release, and a stainless picatinny rail for the scope. a saw another inmates build using a Revolution Extreme stock that looked positively gorgeous, so Monday I placed an order with Mike's Stocks on Ebay for a walnut Extreme with sling studs. Well, the stock came in today, and it is beautiful, except. . .
on the left foregrip there is a 1" x 8" place where two pieces of walnut were laminated together to form the bump for the foregrip, and this is really poorly laminated. Whoever put those pieces of wood together needs glasses, or a seeing eye dog! There is no attempt to match the grain of the wood, the two pieces are different shades of brown, it's sad.
I put a complaint in through Ebay, and I'll see what happens. Hopefully they can and will do an exchange.
Really disappointed.

Sorry about the lack of twatwaffle and cockholster in this rant, I just can't get up the enthusiasm right now.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #2662
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Took the 22/45 Lite to the range yesterday and I'm very pleased. It will be a project, and I will be upgrading things like the trigger, but for now, it's great. Its about as close to a tack driver as you will get from a psitol. It weighs nothing, so you dont get tired, and of course there is minimal recoil. Just a fantastic all around gun. I was feeding it the crappiest ammo I have, and it didnt hesitate one bit. Probably shot somewhere around 400 rounds. There were a couple failures due to poor magazine loading, or light powder in the round. You could feel the round was light, and sometimes it wouldnt cycle the gun right. Other than that, it's absolutely perfect.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #2663
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun View Post
I'm pissed! I'm building my stainless 10/22 a bit at a time, as money comes available. So far I've installed a Volquartsen trigger assembly, extended bolt handle, extended mag release, and a stainless picatinny rail for the scope. a saw another inmates build using a Revolution Extreme stock that looked positively gorgeous, so Monday I placed an order with Mike's Stocks on Ebay for a walnut Extreme with sling studs. Well, the stock came in today, and it is beautiful, except. . .
on the left foregrip there is a 1" x 8" place where two pieces of walnut were laminated together to form the bump for the foregrip, and this is really poorly laminated. Whoever put those pieces of wood together needs glasses, or a seeing eye dog! There is no attempt to match the grain of the wood, the two pieces are different shades of brown, it's sad.
I put a complaint in through Ebay, and I'll see what happens. Hopefully they can and will do an exchange.
Really disappointed.

Sorry about the lack of twatwaffle and cockholster in this rant, I just can't get up the enthusiasm right now.
I'm sure Mike will take care of you. My Walnut stock from Mike was amazing. I promptly scratched it like an idiot.

I finally got around to putting a couple hundred rounds through mine and it is amazing. I was shooting clay pigeons on their sides at 100yds within minutes.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #2664
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,563
Anybody have a Henry survival rifle? I'm thinking of getting one to throw in the tail bag on the dual sport for making a dinner of a squirrel or rabbit.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #2665
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Anybody have a Henry survival rifle? I'm thinking of getting one to throw in the tail bag on the dual sport for making a dinner of a squirrel or rabbit.
I got one, cheap, stores nice in its own stock. It does shoot really good, and never any miss fires or fail to feed. But be warned it is cheap and looks and feels cheap. I keep mine in my side by side on the farm, and sometimes camping on the bike.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #2666
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
I had one for a while as my "boat gun" in the swamps. Mine had a horrible trigger and accuracy suffered as a result. I never expected it to be a target rifle, but it was difficult to keep 5 shots on a 4" shoot-n-see target at 50yds with that thing. Killed a few snakes with shot shells, though.

I have several other Henry's and love them. But the survival rifle didn't impress me at all. My old Springfield M6 is a much better gun in every respect, but harder to find nowadays.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #2667
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Thanks - I'm not a fan of cheap stuff so I'll probably pass. I've heard good things about the Ruger 10/22 takedown, but they seem to be unobtanium right now. I may buy a folding stock for one of my regular 10/22's.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #2668
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,302
How about a Marlin Papoose? Stainless and plastic take down, and never skips a beat. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ding/70pss.asp

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #2669
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Thanks - I'm not a fan of cheap stuff so I'll probably pass. I've heard good things about the Ruger 10/22 takedown, but they seem to be unobtanium right now. I may buy a folding stock for one of my regular 10/22's.
Almost daily they pop up on slickguns.com. This was just this morning, http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-1022-ta...lr-rifle-59249. The shop I bought my 22/45lite from has one of them. It really is a neat gun. I'm a huge fan of the 10/22.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #2670
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Went to Dicks Sporting Goods this morning and they had a 10/22 takedown on the rack but it was on hold for another customer. The salesman called the customer to see if he really wanted it and the guy said no, so it came home with me.

Now to do something about the shitty rear blade sight Ruger uses. I don't think I want a scope on this gun (kinda defeats the purpose of a bike packable gun). I'm a big fan of peep sights so maybe this one. There are a lot of receiver mounted peeps out there, but I want the sight to stay with the barrel for accuracy - not sure yet how well the angle of the receiver to the barrel will repeat during assembly/disassembly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: