Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #14701
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
It isn't just a "BOLT ON" job.

Quote:
fit a complete new front pulled from a 2007 ktm sxf 250 (obviusly I changed the fork springs)
best money I spent on my bike
Your bike looks great......and I agree.......if your goal is to ride rallyes or do 70 mph down desert fire roads.

These long-travel mods are, however, fraught with their own somewhat substantial problems.

First, the forks must be re-sprung and likely re-valved. Depending on their axle off set and triple clamp dimensions they may significantly alter the front geometry.

They then must be examined under full compression to be certain that the front tire doesn't slam into the frame downtube, crashbars, triple clamps etc.

The standard front wheel, brake caliper and master cylinder may not play well with the new forks and then those components have to be changed. If you prefer a low mount front fender, mounting points will have to be fabricated.

In the rear, simply flipping over a suspension link (something I don't believe we can do with the PD06 models in the US) may, indeed, give you the ride height that you want but do you have any idea what you might have done to change the rising-rate geometry in the rear suspension?

Then there is re-springing and re-valving the rear damper to take full advantage of the increased travel and rising-rate changes you've made.

If all you are concerned with is getting the forks set up for your weight and eliminating some of the front fork dive, there are much easier ways.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 05:37 PM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #14702
klausdorth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
I have an '04 650 TA, my forks dive a lot under braking, and when I hit the trails they have been known to bottom out with a disconcerting "clang" noise.

The bike's done about 40,000 miles, I'm a lot taller than average and weigh 98kg, sometime I load my bike up with luggage.

What have others doen to fix this problem in the past? Do I need fork springs? or do I need fork valves?

If I'm taking my forks apart what else would you reccomend I do whilst theey're in pieces, I'll replace seals obviously, what else?
Or you can handle it the way I did:

Get Wirth progressive fork springs! My Honda TA is a 92 model and after changing the front springs - what a surprise!! At least it comes somewhat cheap, too!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #14703
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
No bike work yesterday. Made wife's birthday present... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3226
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #14704
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
No bike work yesterday. Made wife's birthday present... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3226

Nice piece 2bold ,

Your wife surely will love it .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #14705
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
A man of many talents.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #14706
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoddo View Post
I reversed the suspension link and then I had a custom lower shock mounting bracket made by a machine shop (+2cm)
now I can barely touch the ground
Nice job thepoddo. Nothing wrong with modifications to fit your style of riding.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #14707
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Last December, I bought a 1996 Transalp XL600V. I really love the simple handling and the V2 engine.

In march I started modifying it with a friend. Our aim was to rejuvenate it, both in looks and (offroad) performance. First we started with a rised handle bar - very important for my 193cm.

We installed this rally fairing, made by AfricanQueens based in Germany. The mounting required a bit of improvising, but we got it done. I can deliver some detailed pictures of the mount later if anyone's interested.

The next step was replacing the old suspension with some new stuff made by Hyperpro. Me like!

The first test ride with my new bike.

The riding is great. The suspension provides a lot of feedback but it's still dampening the worst stuff. The weight is barely noticeable while riding.

Today I mounted some knobblies for a dirt ride this weekend. I am very much looking forward to it! So far I think I can confidently say that I could keep up with any KTM 690 with my Transalp.

I still have some work to do, for example a proper bash plate, barkbusters, repainting it and a few minor tweaks.

Oh and it's a lot less heavy now. With a full tank (~18l) and oil it weighed 210kg before the conversion, now it's only 191kg (462 to 421 pound).
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #14708
thepoddo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Your bike looks great......and I agree.......if your goal is to ride rallyes or do 70 mph down desert fire roads.

These long-travel mods are, however, fraught with their own somewhat substantial problems.

First, the forks must be re-sprung and likely re-valved. Depending on their axle off set and triple clamp dimensions they may significantly alter the front geometry.

They then must be examined under full compression to be certain that the front tire doesn't slam into the frame downtube, crashbars, triple clamps etc.

The standard front wheel, brake caliper and master cylinder may not play well with the new forks and then those components have to be changed. If you prefer a low mount front fender, mounting points will have to be fabricated.

In the rear, simply flipping over a suspension link (something I don't believe we can do with the PD06 models in the US) may, indeed, give you the ride height that you want but do you have any idea what you might have done to change the rising-rate geometry in the rear suspension?

Then there is re-springing and re-valving the rear damper to take full advantage of the increased travel and rising-rate changes you've made.
I throughly agree
still, after more than 2 years on the reversed rear link (something you can only do on the 650 model), and 2 months of longer shock and forks I have to say the steering geometry feels substantially unchanged and daily commute apart I already had the chance of riding the bike without any problem both on nasty mountain trails and on the tracks of the Italian Baja (after the race, obviously )

I am not here to say that what I have done is a work of science, nor that I really knew what I was doing.
Still, once I got all the parts I needed, everything has been pretty much bolt on and feels like a straight upgrade from stock

Quote:
If all you are concerned with is getting the forks set up for your weight and eliminating some of the front fork dive, there are much easier ways
quoted for truth, but I have to admit that after spending a lot of money on springs, valves and oils I have never found the stock forks suitable for safe riding, not even on asphalt
thepoddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #14709
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
Last December, I bought a 1996 Transalp XL600V. I really love the simple handling and the V2 engine.

TodayI mounted some knobblies for a dirt ride this weekend. I am very much looking forward to it! So far I think I can confidently say that I could keep up with any KTM 690 with my Transalp.

I still have some work to do, for example a proper bash plate, barkbusters, repainting it and a few minor tweaks.

Oh and it's a lot less heavy now. With a full tank (~18l) and oil it weighed 210kg before the conversion, now it's only 191kg (462 to 421 pound).
Great pics of your countryside. And a great job putting that TA on a weight loss program. I like all your mods. I've heard alot of good from the Hyperpro products and how they transform the bike. Good job.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #14710
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I'm in the process of removing the rear shock and have gotten stuck (literally).....
I've removed the bolts as per the manual but can't figure out how/where to slide the shock out. It's jammed in there pretty good. What simple thing am I not thinking of?

Never mind, had a neighbor come lift the rear wheel while I kept the bike steady.

AppFan screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 07:54 PM
AppFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #14711
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
I'm in the process of removing the rear shock and have gotten stuck (literally).....
I've removed the bolts as per the manual but can't figure out how/where to slide the shock out. It's jammed in there pretty good. What simple thing am I not thinking of?

Never mind, had a neighbor come lift the rear wheel while I kept the bike steady.
Yep lift the wheel

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #14712
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
I knew instantly what the problem was, we all asked ourselves that question once, so what shock are you installing?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #14713
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I knew instantly what the problem was, we all asked ourselves that question once, so what shock are you installing?
Hi Mark! I went with the Ohlins but am thinking they may have sent the wrong one. There's almost an inch of difference in length and not in a good way...
I saw a reference to US/non US in another post. 8is this the issue or am I over thinking here?

AppFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #14714
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
Looks all wrong to me..

mas335 screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 04:55 AM
mas335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #14715
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Its right

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
Hi Mark! I went with the Ohlins but am thinking they may have sent the wrong one. There's almost an inch of difference in length and not in a good way...
I saw a reference to US/non US in another post. 8is this the issue or am I over thinking here?

Ordered an Ohlins this year too! Yes thats the same one I got and it is physically shorter but dosnt sag like the stock shock. So no loss. It will perform awesome. You will just need a hardened bolt and nut as the bottom shock mount is not threaded like the stock shock. Enjoy love mine

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote