Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #14716
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Ordered an Ohlins this year too! Yes thats the same one I got and it is physically shorter but dosnt sag like the stock shock. So no loss. It will perform awesome. You will just need a hardened bolt and nut as the bottom shock mount is not threaded like the stock shock. Enjoy love mine
Thank God! Thanks. I noticed the need for a new bolt last night but didn't want to pick it up til I knew if I had the right one. I feel much better now. Glad to hear you like it!
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #14717
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
Thank God! Thanks. I noticed the need for a new bolt last night but didn't want to pick it up til I knew if I had the right one. I feel much better now. Glad to hear you like it!
I got a hardened nut and bolt at ACE with jut the perfect amount of length for the nut to thread on with out hitting the swing arm linkage. Sorry didnt measure it or right it down (i found metric one so no odd tools in the kit) . Just take the shock to the hardware store. Find a hardened bolt that fits the shock U mount and leaves enough room for the nut to fully thread on and use blue lock tight.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 07:57 AM
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #14718
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
I got a hardened nut and bolt at ACE with jut the perfect amount of length for the nut to thread on with out hitting the swing arm linkage. Sorry didnt measure it or right it down (i found metric one so no odd tools in the kit) . Just take the shock to the hardware store. Find a hardened bolt that fits the shock U mount and leaves enough room for the nut to fully thread on and use blue lock tight.
Thanks. I'm stuck at the in-laws today but will hit the Tractor Supply store in the morning.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #14719
dualdogdave
Twin Power Rules!

Oddometer: 140
TransHawk Oil Pump Drive Chain Diagnosis Now Complete

I'm a bit embarrassed to announce what the origin of the mystery bolt is that was responsible for the de-railment of the TransHawk oil pump drive chain.

During my original exploratory inspection and dis assembly of the primary drive mechanism I simply slid the clutch pack off of its shaft and set it to the side so as to not disturb the assembly sequence of its many parts with the outside face up. I never really examined it focusing on the crankcase area looking for clues to see where that screw may have come from.

Today I decided to change out the discs in the TransHawk clutch pack.

Upon picking it up for the first time to begin the dis assembly I flipped it over and exposed the origin of the mystery bolt.

In the Honda Manual they call this part of the clutch pack the clutch outer.

Also the Honda Manual and the Honda Microfiche shows no bolts like the TransHawk has. the manual shows only rivets in that location.

Honda must have had trouble like I did with the bolts in early models and changed to rivets after the TransHawk was built.

I took a look at the Transalp clutch in the manual and they are riveted as well, so no worries there.

The take away here is that when we are working on our clutches, look for bolts or rivets and be sure if you have bolts on the clutch outer make certian that they are correctly torqued with Locktite.

The torque plate on the TransHawk Clutch outer was damaged when the second of the three retaining bolts backed out and snagged the oil chain tweaking the torque plate and then shucking the oil pump drive chain pins and links off into the sump and ultimately de-railing the chain.

So I have been on the phone with my preferred Honda dealer to order a new clutch outer assy. w/ rivets $260.62 USD discounted from $358.98

I should have everything later next week.

Stay tuned..................

DDD

Santa Cruz Coastal Mountains

"TransHawk" Dyno Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-y7nxL580

"TransHawk" Dyno Charts:
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/D...05658028913170

Transalps and other cool bikes spotted in my travels.
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/T...eat=directlink
dualdogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #14720
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Thumb

Dave, that's really good news. At least it was nothing deep internal. a few bucks, a little work, and a lot of peace of mind.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #14721
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. I'm stuck at the in-laws today but will hit the Tractor Supply store in the morning.
Got out of familial obligations early and got my bolt (its a 10, 1.25 by the way).
Thanks for everyone's help. I didn't measure before and after ride heights or have time for a ride yet but Hotmamaandme's experience with the same shock makes me feel better.
Now to try to schedule slipping the Intiminators that have been sitting in the garage for the past couple months in the front shocks..... I'm sure I'll be back with more questions then!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #14722
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
DDD,

Those button head allens do NOT look like any hardware I've ever seen used on a Honda.

Maybe the PO installed those after the rivets got sloppy? Just a quess but that hardware says DIY to me.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #14723
bartender
Jack of all trades

Oddometer: 83
Getting there

Well, between work, work, and building my friends' 77 KZ400, 78 XS750, and 78 XS650, I've been slowly chipping away at my TransAlp mods. Ran errands on her all day today, and have to say she rips!

Better pictures and details of mods to come.
bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #14724
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
DDD,

Those button head allens do NOT look like any hardware I've ever seen used on a Honda.

Maybe the PO installed those after the rivets got sloppy? Just a quess but that hardware says DIY to me.
+ 1 on that. They don't look OEM Honda Dave...

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #14725
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Hi Mark! I went with the Ohlins but am thinking they may have sent the wrong one. There's almost an inch of difference in length and not in a good way...
I saw a reference to US/non US in another post. 8is this the issue or am I over thinking here?

Hello AppFan,

The shock length (& linkages) changed after '88. The difference is about 25 - 30mm from memory. It has been discussed in this thread previously.
I would suspect you've received the wrong model shock?

Can the Ohlins supplier advise if there is two types available, and what the difference in eye to eye length is?

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #14726
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
DDD,

+2 like this fix:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OIbzv...%3DOIbzvJre7IM

There are many other DIY fixes for the rivets getting loose. The one above shows stainless bolts........would not be my first choice. One is not worried about rust. . Coming loose or not strong enough big concern as we have seen first hand....
showkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #14727
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan View Post
Hello AppFan,

The shock length (& linkages) changed after '88. The difference is about 25 - 30mm from memory. It has been discussed in this thread previously.
I would suspect you've received the wrong model shock?

Can the Ohlins supplier advise if there is two types available, and what the difference in eye to eye length is?

Cheers,

Dan.
Thanks Dan. Ohlins site lists 88-90 and 91-96 on their site with the difference in length being 355 and 378. Do you think the US 1989 would utilize their 91-96?
Old 05-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #14728
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
Yes thats the same one I got and it is physically shorter but dosnt sag like the stock shock. So no loss. It will perform awesome.
Cory and Appfan,

Sorry fellas but I just can't agree that the shock you both received was the correct one. If I had received it I would have been on the phone with Ohlings right away.

No doubts that it works and works well but if you dial in the correct rear sag on both shocks you will still end up with significantly reduced rear wheel travel and lower ride height with the Ohlins that you have in your hands.

The fact that you may not be able to get the correct rear sag with the old standard spring is immaterial here.

I'm betting that they sent the shock for the later model TAs. For the price of these things you should certainly get the correct one.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #14729
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
stainless bolts........would not be my first choice
Stainless bolts, like all fasteners have their applications.

It's important to note that stainless hardware is usually softer than the standard grade stuff that comes on most bikes. Nowhere near grade 8.

For an application that replaces clutch basket rivets stainless would be the wrong thing to use.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #14730
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
to start with REAR SHOCKS:

As many of you know I owned a 1991 Transalp imported bike. I found far more changes to this model vs pre 91 TA's than you will commonly find mentioned on the interent, however the 1991 TA's rear shock was not one of them. I have no recollection of it being any longer nor did it look any different, I cetainly never noticed it. I can't even recall what bike I put it in which means it was undistingishable from any other 89-90 TA rear shock.

BOLTS: Grade 8 bolts are for the most part overkill in most applications on a motorcycle, the OEM engine mounting bolts are not even grade 8 quality. Having said that I see no harm in using grade 8 for general use if it makes you feel better.

CLUTCH RIVET alterations: I must have skipped class when they discussed this, why are people changing the clutch rivets to screws, is this a problem?? What am I missing? I would go study a clutch assembly to try and figure it out for myself but I don't get to ask too many questions here.