Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #121
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp600 View Post
Interesting thread! I am really interested in owning an EV motorcycle one day. Passing up gas stations on every ride must be very free-ing.
Indeed, it is nice to NEVER stop for gas.

Quote:
The fact that the maintenance cost is low is great but it seems like there is very little to do in the first place. So this technology not only saves money but time. Very Eco- friendly as well.

It's interesting that you say the suspension takes big hits well but is harsh with smaller stuff because usually it's the opposite. If the suspension can take big hits usually there's a lack of firmness at lower speeds or when hitting smaller objects. If adjusting it doesn't work you might need to change the fork oil for a lesser weight.
Yes, that is odd. My current sag adjustment on the rear shock is more than suggested in the manual so the spring is softer but small bumps and road irregularities come right through to the seat. I have both rebound and compression damping in the middle of the range.

The fork is more compliant than the rear shock. I will play with the dials more this weekend.
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #122
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Twisties on the DS

So last weekend I met a friend at some local twisties. I had to put the DS on the pickup carrier to take the first 20 miles off of the loop in order to have enough range. That was a real drag for me... I always hate to transport a perfectly good motorcycle with a 4 wheeler but there is not another option for the route that I wanted to ride.

I rode with a friend who is a new rider and was riding a Ninja 250 so I did not ride real fast. I did scrub off the edges of the tires a bit and the DS is a hoot in tight corners. On the route that we took there are some corners marked for 25 MPH and some complete switchbacks.

Riding without any concern for powerband or gear selection I found that I could focus more completely on the essence of riding and line selection. Electric power is addicting.

The DS is great fun in the corners but the fun runs out too soon for my taste. I wish that I had a 40KW battery pack that would fit in the same space and mass.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #123
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rear Tire is Gone at 2600 Miles....

Here is the rear tire at 2610 miles:

I have never seen a tire melt as fast as this, particularly on a small bike like this.

I will put on a new BridgeStone TrailWing next Tuesday. Not a lot of choices for the rear 16" rim.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #124
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Seems like a right wrist problem.

You are having too much fun wringing it's neck, apparently.
I can't wait for this to get to the point where I can have one, in the middle of nowhere, off the grid...
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #125
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,001
BAH! You still have 2600 on the left side and another 2600 on the right side! Thats a lot of miles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_Rider View Post
Here is the rear tire at 2610 miles:

I have never seen a tire melt as fast as this, particularly on a small bike like this.

I will put on a new BridgeStone TrailWing next Tuesday. Not a lot of choices for the rear 16" rim.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #126
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I would love an electric mx bike. Theres a gazillion mtb bike trails by my house.
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #127
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
BAH! You still have 2600 on the left side and another 2600 on the right side! Thats a lot of miles...
Very true... Given the commuting heavy riding cycle that this bike gets I don't get enough twisty action to scrub off the sides properly.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #128
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,001
Quote:
Very true... Given the commuting heavy riding cycle that this bike gets I don't get enough twisty action to scrub off the sides properly.
ya gotta hang off the seat on the straights!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #129
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2,725 Miles and a New Rear Tire

2,725 miles on the ODO now and the Zero continues to run perfectly despite my rough use model. Still no startup errors, no charging issues, no running issues.

My range is improving slightly now, probably from the warmer weather. Yesterday I rode a total of 48 miles that was a mix of city, freeway (for about 7 miles) and dirt road riding. At the end of the 48 miles the energy graph still showed 6 out of 11 bars. 100+ miles could be real for city and backroad dirt riding. I am going to take some longer dirt road spins soon now that the snow is gone or leaving from some of my favorite high altitude paths.

The more I ride electric, the more I like it. Now that we have had a few 90 degree days this bike is excellent. Sitting at a stop light on a hot day the bike makes Zero heat. That was a big change from my Buells which could really cook the rider on a hot day in slow traffic conditions.

I went up to a Bridgestone Trailwing TW40 120/90-16 which is wider and taller than OEM but there is still plenty of clearance around the belt, swing arm, and rear fender.

It looks like it will hook up a lot better in loose stuff that I ride a lot. I will get some ride data tomorrow.

For the belt drive skeptics out there I carefully inspected the belt and drive sprockets and found no damage after almost 3,000 miles of mixed riding on pavement, gravel, sand, and dirt. I ordered in a spare belt and will keep in handy in the shop but it is looking to be quite durable so far.

Tire swap was easy, this bike is really simple to work on.

Some pics of the old and new tire:

Original, about gone:

New Tire:

Clearance:

Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #130
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Suspension

Do motorcycles really need all of those fancy progressive linkages and spring rates?

Yes, they are wonderful.

Motorcyclist Magazine has a staff review of a 2013 Zero S here: http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/...#axzz2TKMUuVdw

Great reading for anyone considering a Zero or other electric motorcycle.

I have to agree with Editor in Chief Marc Cook's observations of the Zero's suspension who I quote below:

"Suspension compliance remains the last frontier of refinement for Zero. What’s there is taut but seems unsophisticated."

Well said and accurate for my bike as well. My DS has more travel than the S model in the review, and it will drink up the bigger hits but it seems not up to par with other modern motorcycles in terms of progressive response and compliance from the smaller stuff.

Another good quote from Marc Cook in the article: ""Electric propulsion is intoxicating." - Editor-in-Chief, Mark Cook"

That is very true and I am also finding electric propulsion to be addicting.

Wind_Rider screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:29 PM
Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #131
Shadowist
FX Artist

Oddometer: 20
It's fantastic seeing real-world reports on Zero Motorcycles. I've actually been really strongly considering one as my primary commuting bike. Then working on my 03' DRZ to do some adventure riding some day

Looking ahead, I realize that after graduation and my loans, I simply won't have the time (and money!) to do a west coast ride to Alaska. I also won't have the time to constantly maintain a bike (particularly my old one). So, in looking for a bike that's nearly maintenance free, almost literally costs nothing to ride, and has a nice amount of torque to get around traffic...it's hard for me to find reasons not to invest in one That Zero FX is particularly inviting.

Game Developer/Software Engineer...yeah...I'm a bit of a techie
I don't race...but I love to ride. If I survive the day, it was a good ride!
Shadowist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #132
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
You are having too much fun wringing it's neck, apparently.
I can't wait for this to get to the point where I can have one, in the middle of nowhere, off the grid...

You too huh? I would have to buy more panels to charge it, so add another thousand to the price for me.

Had another chance to ride one a few weeks ago, and passed it up again because I was busy. I saw Scott Harden sneeking around on one at a RV park; these things would be killer for bow hunting.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #133
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Do motorcycles really need all of those fancy progressive linkages and spring rates?

Yes, they are wonderful.

Motorcyclist Magazine has a staff review of a 2013 Zero S here: http://blogs.motorcyclistonline.com/...#axzz2TKMUuVdw

Great reading for anyone considering a Zero or other electric motorcycle.

I have to agree with Editor in Chief Marc Cook's observations of the Zero's suspension who I quote below:

"Suspension compliance remains the last frontier of refinement for Zero. What’s there is taut but seems unsophisticated."

Well said and accurate for my bike as well. My DS has more travel than the S model in the review, and it will drink up the bigger hits but it seems not up to par with other modern motorcycles in terms of progressive response and compliance from the smaller stuff.

Another good quote from Marc Cook in the article: ""Electric propulsion is intoxicating." - Editor-in-Chief, Mark Cook"

That is very true and I am also finding electric propulsion to be addicting.

100% torque at 1 RPM, that rocks!
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #134
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowist View Post
It's fantastic seeing real-world reports on Zero Motorcycles. I've actually been really strongly considering one as my primary commuting bike. Then working on my 03' DRZ to do some adventure riding some day

Looking ahead, I realize that after graduation and my loans, I simply won't have the time (and money!) to do a west coast ride to Alaska. I also won't have the time to constantly maintain a bike (particularly my old one). So, in looking for a bike that's nearly maintenance free, almost literally costs nothing to ride, and has a nice amount of torque to get around traffic...it's hard for me to find reasons not to invest in one That Zero FX is particularly inviting.
If you want a bike that costs almost nothing to ride and takes precious little time to maintain then Zeros fit the bill. I am almost to 3K miles and my cost of ownership has been a new rear tire and some go juice and time to keep it running has been almost nothing. For commuting a Zero is the best machine there is. It is truly the best commuting motorcycle that I have ever ridden. If your commute fits within the range limits then you will not be disappointed.

That FX model looks amazing. I am going to demo one of those soon but I could not live with it's limited range. Several times now I have been down to the last bar and today I went to the hidden bar so I would have a hard time living on 5.7KW.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #135
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
these things would be killer for bow hunting.
I have gotten some odd responses to my Zero from the local ungulates. I live in an area that is something of a game preserve. I often have elk in my yard and it is not unusual to ride through a couple of herds of elk or deer on the way to the highway.

The silence of the Zero frightens the elk. After seeing it in action for a few months now the local elk are starting to get used to it and don't react as strongly to it but they initially were more spooked from it's combination of speed and silence. I got a lot less reaction from my other ICE motorcycles in the past or while driving a cage.

The locals are getting used to it now and I rode within 20 feet of a couple of cow elk on the way home tonight.

In regards to hunting though, I think that boots always beat anything with wheels for getting close with a bow.