Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #2671
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Went to Dicks Sporting Goods this morning and they had a 10/22 takedown on the rack but it was on hold for another customer. The salesman called the customer to see if he really wanted it and the guy said no, so it came home with me.

Now to do something about the shitty rear blade sight Ruger uses. I don't think I want a scope on this gun (kinda defeats the purpose of a bike packable gun). I'm a big fan of peep sights so maybe this one. There are a lot of receiver mounted peeps out there, but I want the sight to stay with the barrel for accuracy - not sure yet how well the angle of the receiver to the barrel will repeat during assembly/disassembly.
Nice score on the TD. Love mine.

Thanks for posting that sight. ON the list now to get. I have a scope on mine now and it fits in the back pack very easy, but a sight would be better.

Have fun with that TD and post some pics
Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #2672
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Nice score on the TD. Love mine.

Thanks for posting that sight. ON the list now to get. I have a scope on mine now and it fits in the back pack very easy, but a sight would be better.
What scope do you have? The only extra rimfire scope I have is way too big (a Mueller APV with a 44mm objective). If I decide to use a scope I'd like something smaller.

I went to the range this afternoon. I had to drift the rear sight to the left quite a bit - out of the box it was shooting about 3" right at 25 yards. It actually shot respectable groups with the stock sights. I then mounted a scope and zeroed it at 50 yards. After that I broke the gun down and reassembled it several times, shooting groups each time to see if it'd hold zero. It didn't. It wasn't until after I got home that I read the instructions that told how to adjust the knurled knob to get the right pressure on the barrel during assembly. Hopefully that was my problem. I'm going to head back to the range tomorrow and try again.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #2673
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
After that I broke the gun down and reassembled it several times, shooting groups each time to see if it'd hold zero. It didn't. It wasn't until after I got home that I read the instructions that told how to adjust the knurled knob to get the right pressure on the barrel during assembly. Hopefully that was my problem. I'm going to head back to the range tomorrow and try again.
Yep RTFM
Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #2674
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
What scope do you have? The only extra rimfire scope I have is way too big (a Mueller APV with a 44mm objective). If I decide to use a scope I'd like something smaller.

It wasn't until after I got home that I read the instructions that told how to adjust the knurled knob to get the right pressure on the barrel during assembly. Hopefully that was my problem. I'm going to head back to the range tomorrow and try again.
Honestly, it's just an inexpensive BSA TW4x30 which works pretty well. Did not want something expensive as I was not sure it would stay on the gun and also my get beat up in the bag.

It has stayed zero'd after I too checked the knurled knob. As long as that is tight it seems to do pretty well for the backpack gun it is. It did change to a different stock so it is just a bit more compact and my 12 year old can adjust it a bit shorter for him. It lives the straight stock tube now though instead of the angled one.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #2675
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 248
10/22 Takedown

Cabelas in KC had four in stock and one Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper

The had 3 10/22 and 0 Shopkeepers when I left.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #2676
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,000
I was tossing around the idea of the Henry survival rifle for shits and giggles, but through reading I'm now drawn to the Marlin Papoose.
Thoughts?

Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #2677
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Honestly, it's just an inexpensive BSA TW4x30 which works pretty well. Did not want something expensive as I was not sure it would stay on the gun and also my get beat up in the bag.
I agree - I'm not going to put a high dollar scope on something I'm going to carry around in a nylon bag on a dual sport. Besides, it's a .22 so I'm not taking 1000 yard benchrest shots. Here's a scope that gets good press: The Leapers 3-9 Bug Buster (not my picture):

It comes with quick release rings and sunshades. I'll also need a Picatinny rail, but those are only $7. Some of the reviewers said they had to use an offset mount to get it closer for eye relief, but I'm hoping not to need that because my cheek weld tends to have me farther forward than most people for some reason.

PunkinHead screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 04:28 AM
Old 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #2678
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
I was tossing around the idea of the Henry survival rifle for shits and giggles, but through reading I'm now drawn to the Marlin Papoose.
Thoughts?

Excellent little rifle, way better than the AR-7 takedown rifles. My only concern has to do with Marlin's spotty quality these days if you are buying a new one. Give it a close look before you take it home.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #2679
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

It seems as if finally some 22LR has been trickling back into availability.

Just picked up 3500 rounds.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #2680
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
Went to Dicks Sporting Goods this morning and they had a 10/22 takedown on the rack but it was on hold for another customer. The salesman called the customer to see if he really wanted it and the guy said no, so it came home with me.

Now to do something about the shitty rear blade sight Ruger uses. I don't think I want a scope on this gun (kinda defeats the purpose of a bike packable gun). I'm a big fan of peep sights so maybe this one. There are a lot of receiver mounted peeps out there, but I want the sight to stay with the barrel for accuracy - not sure yet how well the angle of the receiver to the barrel will repeat during assembly/disassembly.

I have the Williams WGRS-54 on my Henry H001. The peeps can be changes easily for different conditions and it is fully adjustable for elevation and windage.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #2681
richarddacat
stuck in the 70's

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
It seems as if finally some 22LR has been trickling back into availability.

Just picked up 3500 rounds.
Great, thanks for the lead.....
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it head out the window.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #2682
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Great, thanks for the lead.....
Last time I did that it was OOS by the time I posted.

I check here for mine.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #2683
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Quote:
Thoughts?

If by Henry survival rifle you mean an AR-7 variant, forget it. That rifle has been produced by 3 or 4 companies, and not one has been able to make it feed reliably. Every once in a while someone will say theirs feeds great, but basically, they suck. I couldn't wait to get rid of mine after 2 unsuccessful trips back to the factory.

The Papoose is a great rifle, based on the reliable Model 60 action. I've had one a few years, and it has yet to have a failure to fire, except with crap Remington bulk ammo with no primer in it. Small 4X scope on it keeps it's zero after dis-assembly/re-assembly.

If you live in a state without moronic gun laws, there are 10 round, and look hard enough, 15 round mags. Go for it!

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #2684
mxbulldog
Braaaap!

Oddometer: 114
I really love my Papoose. Excellent accuracy for what it is. I've had mine for about 4 years and it has never let me down. I tried it with a small rim fire scope briefly but went back to the open sights.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #2685
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Now that I've read the instructions, I went back to the range today to give the 10/22 Takedown another try. First of all, I adjusted the knurled nut that preloads the barrel by repeatedly turning the nut out and fitting the barrel until the barrel would no longer mount, then backed off one click on the nut. This gave the maximum tension to the barrel. Also, per the instructions, I slingshotted the action a half dozen times after mounting the barrel.

Here's the setup. The forestock is on a rest and the buttstock rests on my fist. The scope is way too big but it's all I had (I have a smaller one on order). I'm shooting at the 25 yard line - a reasonable distance for a squirrel gun. The wind was fairly mild - maybe 5 gusting to 10 from my front left quarter.

I was using bulk pack CCI Blazers. Not the best ammo in the world, but off all the cheap stuff this is what I've had the best luck with. I first fired 3 shots to see where the scope was hitting, made adjustments then fired a 6 shot group:

I then removed the scope and barrel from the action, reinstalled the scope and put the barrel back on. I slingshotted the action a half dozen times then shot a 5 shot group. Note the scope is mounted on plain old Weaver rings.

I then repeated the disassembly/assembly and shot another 5:

And another teardown and assembly:

Overall I'm quite pleased. Cheap ammo, not resting on bags, and me at the trigger - I can't blame much of that spread on the gun. It looks like the scope keeps it's zero. Even though I've ordered a scope for it I'll probably get a receiver mounted peep site since I prefer open sights.

Just for grins I decided to see how many "minutes of squirrel" it shot. I was standing, unsupported with no sling. One thing that kind of annoys me is there's no good way to mount a sling to the buttstock. I'm afraid a screw in stud would pull out of the holllow plastic stock. I'm a big believer in using a sling for support during offhand shooting. I ordered a VTAC buttstock sling adaptor. If that doesn't work I'll break down and screw a stud in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: