Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #31
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
learned about these from another inmate

under $3 each. Add pack of tortillas, and if feeding two people I'll add in a can of black or pinto beans.
Interesting. I'm going to have to look into those.

Thanks for posting.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
The big meal for me is breakfast. I make my own oatmeal mix; for 2 mornings I mix one pack of Trader Joes Apple & Cinn., a handful of dried cranberries, banana chips, quaker oats 1 min. oatmeal (no sugar),and cream of wheat, in a ziplock bag. This mix stays with ya for several hours.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #33
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam View Post

Stop at the local market for a $5 rotisserie chicken, a can of beans or corn, a bag of ice for my Tequila and find camp.
hey you know, i'd forgotten about that! used to be dinner on the way back from the pub, a whole chicken, bottle of wine, loaf of bread and american style cheese spread/slices. dinner for 1x drunk student less than 10 and often a lot less because late at night theyre selling off the days deli and bakery stuff. substitute the chicken for a bucket of curry, pies, sausage, hocks, bacon joints, whatever was left.

(depending on amount of beer drunk, often EVERYTHING that was left! those were the days....)
Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #34
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I'd imagine that most of us won't be going for more than a couple days or so on a bike between stops that would have food available ...
It's never been an issue traveling by motorcycle no matter how remote. Backpacking, kayaking, & bicycle touring, yes, but not motorcycle traveling. Motorcycles need gas. Gas outlets generally have some kind of food for sale or are located in some small town or village.

You may have trouble finding fresh vegetables or steaks, and you might eat Raman or mac and cheese, but you won't go hungry.

At the very worst you might miss a meal. That wouldn't hurt most of us. Water is much more important.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #35
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
It's never been an issue traveling by motorcycle no matter how remote. Backpacking, kayaking, & bicycle touring, yes, but not motorcycle traveling. Motorcycles need gas. Gas outlets generally have some kind of food for sale or are located in some small town or village.

You may have trouble finding fresh vegetables or steaks, and you might eat Raman or mac and cheese, but you won't go hungry.

At the very worst you might miss a meal. That wouldn't hurt most of us. Water is much more important.
It's true, but it does come up. Two instances come to mind during my travels, both times in Texas.

I was heading into Big Bend National Park. According to Wikipedia, "Big Bend is one of the largest, most remote, and least-visited national parks in the lower 48 United States." I was planning to stay a few days. Sure, there's a camp store in the park, and a gas station with a few snacks. And there's even a restaurant. But if you want to eat right and not pay a bundle, one has to bring in his own food. I stopped at the grocery store beforehand and loaded up.

Later the same trip, I spent a couple days at Chinati Hot Springs. It's not all that remote. I suppose you could find a store within 15 or 20 miles of the place, and if you were in dire need, I'm sure the caretakers who live on the property would feed you. The point is, no food is available, and if you want to spend a couple days there, and you want to enjoy yourself, you ought to carry some food you can prepare while you're there.

Jamie

Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #36
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
I agree that the vast majority of the time food won't be a problem... But I was asking the question for the few times where food won't be readily available for a few days, or when I wouldn't want to rely on eating what food I could find at a gas station.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #37
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 154
I carry a few "bird shot" rounds for whichever pistol I have with me at the time. You would not believe how good fresh quail or doves taste when you ran out or forgotten a bag of food you had intended to bring with you!
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
learned about these from another inmate

under $3 each. Add pack of tortillas, and if feeding two people I'll add in a can of black or pinto beans.
How do you heat them? Instructions on the package are for microwave. Do you boil the bag or put the contents into a saucepan or what?

Jamie

Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #39
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
I'm not going anywhere "remote" with anyone that has replied so far, your food sucks!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #40
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,733
Seriously good boil in a bag food. Has a shelf life of 18 months.

http://happycampergourmet.com.au/
81' BMW R100 TIC
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #41
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
I'm not going anywhere "remote" with anyone that has replied so far, your food sucks!
who was offering to share?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
who was offering to share?
most folks I ride with share at dinner, and we come up with some pretty good food, but I'm gonna pass at tuna fish on crackers mixed with dry oatmeal followed by a power bar!

bikerfish screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 05:02 PM
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #43
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
That sure looks awesome!

The website doesn't note how many cans you get for $20. Surely it isn't 1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
Sadly, just one. But stacked inside is a pack and a half of precooked deliciousness (40 or 50 slices) Having tried both, I believe it to be rebranded Yoders bacon. Buy in bulk and save! (12 cans $159.99)
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...d-Bacon/Detail

contents of one can
buy at Sam's wholesale .. precooked bacon, excellent quality for $9 for 20oz ... much better than $19 for 9oz. got 6-8 bags on hand at any given time for emergency rations. spinkle on salads or fried potatoes or snak or whatever to keep bacon in rotation ... mmmm Good..

don't know what claimed shelf life is .. but have used packages 2-3 years old with little to no degradation of quality.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #44
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,846
If camping I take fishing gear with me and try to eat a fresh meal or two. Otherwise I usually take tuna snacks, cans of sardines, and some fruit.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #45
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
One thing I always take is brown basmati rice and tahini to top it.

Another one of my favorites is tamari almonds. Make them yourself by spreading raw almonds on a baking sheet, baking at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes (don't over do it), put a couple ounces of tamari in a bowl, dump in the hot almonds and mix around so all the almonds are coated, put almonds back on baking sheet to cool. Great filling healthy snack.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote