Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,096
Well That is a great introduction to BMWs....

Bought a new to me 2008 GS1200 today from a Dealer that I trust and have good experiences with in the past.

On my virgin run I discover oil all over my right boot, leg and side of the bike....

I am none too happy, we'll see what they say Monday morning. At this point I don't want the bike anymore even if they repair it.

Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,916
At first I was thinking donut gasket improperly installed:

But the ruined paint on the valve cover smacks of a bad repaint of the valve cover, or chemical contamination.

The damaged stick coil and oil coated rubber are likely not related, but need replacing.

Let them have a look and explain the situation before you condemn the bike alltogether. It might end up being no big deal.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

The rubber piece in the 3rd picture is part of the cylinder head guard, hence why I didn't see the damage when inspecting the bike at the dealership.

I did enjoy the 70 miles I did today until I discovered the problem, however I have the kind of personality wherein I will think about this every time I get on the bike, even if the dealership fixes it up.

At this point I'm going to ask them to refund me and be on my way.

At least it wasn't the final drive.......
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
I'm sure someone else will enjoy it then.....
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
At first I was thinking donut gasket improperly installed:

But the ruined paint on the valve cover smacks of a bad repaint of the valve cover, or chemical contamination.

The damaged stick coil and oil coated rubber are likely not related, but need replacing.

Let them have a look and explain the situation before you condemn the bike alltogether. It might end up being no big deal.

Jim
Jim, I'd say you are right. Gasket improperly installed or missing completely. The stick coil was bathed in hot oil and also soaked the rubber protecter causing heat transfer and the melting. Simple fix though. New valve cover, stick coil and a few other parts and she's good to go.

08's are a good year and very easy to service yourself. Then something like this should never happen again.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
mariowink
Comfort Rider

Oddometer: 115
Simple fix

I agree about the inner gasket on the valve cover. Easy fix. It's a great bike. Fix it and enjoy it.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Thanks for the diagnosis Jim!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post

At this point I'm going to ask them to refund me and be on my way.
I bought an older GS b/c I wanted to run into small issues like this for the experience. I have a buddy who has the same outlook on life as you so I have a great deal of experience with your attitude. A GS is NOT for you so you are making the right choice.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
I bought an older GS b/c I wanted to run into small issues like this for the experience. I have a buddy who has the same outlook on life as you so I have a great deal of experience with your attitude. A GS is NOT for you so you are making the right choice.
I expect things to go wrong on the shit box motorcycles I've owned in the past, the reason I bought a lightly used (9,000 mile) late model GS was to avoid all the picky little stuff that happens on motorcycles as the mileage goes up.

But you are right, the GS is not for me if this kind of stuff happens frequently.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,320
I could understand if it was a Ural, the "clone" as it were, but you lay out that kind of bread, you would like to think you are buying quality, reliability, an assurance of "ride and not have to work on the bike" much.

A nice Vee Strom maybe in your future. Or a Super Tenere.

Ride and no worries.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,303
It doesn't happen any more frequently on a GS than any other BMW model. Ya, I too would be bummed about it....it certainly probably took the excitement out of the first ride I' m sure. But it is an easy fix, and an easy mistake to make. At least you know that your dealer was in there making adjustments before you bought it. And they should have caught it on the test ride. But you said you like the dealer and trust them...I suspect they will treat you right.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
OP needs a tissue or maybe some cheese...

Seriously, fix it properly and move on. Buying a used bike is always buying somebody else's problems. Buying a new bike is just buying a heretofore unknown set of problems to be determined at a later date.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
But you are right, the GS is not for me if this kind of stuff happens frequently.
If this sort of minor problem - in a used bike, especially - is having us talk you off the ledge, you probably don't want a BMW. Or a bunch of other bikes, for that matter. A DL650 would be my suggestion.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
Yeah, let's not get too excited. It's not hard to put that valve cover on wrong and pinch that little gasket. It's not difficult but one needs to be careful. I think Jim's video (it's been a while since I've seen it-- like, years) says to install the valve cover with the donut on it in one move and if you think you've slid it on cocked to one side and the rubber donut has been misplaced a little, take it back it all back off and start again or it will leak. Though not much, usually.

This isn't a SOS moment and certainly no reason to tie that albatross of a Vee Strom around your neck.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,420
The issue is that the last person that serviced the bike did not alighn the donut seal up properly when replacing the valve cover, or left it off completely.

So basically you are blaming the bike for a mistake that the dealer most likely made.

I just wonder if you will return the bike and then buy another from the same dealer, if so it demonstrates a severe lack of logic in your decision making process.

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote