User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #35416
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Papa needs a brand new pair of shoes...

Got mine installed today, MT21 up front & an MT43 in the rear. Sprockets & chain get installed Tuesday, THEN I'll be done.

UtahFox screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 07:53 PM Reason: radiator guard
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #35417
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 934
DIY non-US tail tidy

I was looking at buying a tail-tidy and figured i'd pull the original set-up apart first, and it turned out to be all ready to DIY.

This is how it comes in Australia.

When I took the plastic off and cut the plate light wire I found I could loosen one of the brackets, rotate it 90 degrees and use it to mount a plate holder.

I used a piece of plastic offcut from a drain pit for the plate holder, a couple of short pieces of flat aluminium bar to strengthen (if you can't find aluminium, aluminum will do just as well ) and a few screws and nuts and then went for a ride.

Total cost ... I guess $3. And I should be able to remount the original plate light in a slimline version for the cost of two screws - if bother at all.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #35418
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 934
Pineapples, forestry and extinct volcanoes

Finally I got a chance to use the WRR the way I'd hoped.

A spare Friday afternoon and a willing WRR partner in crime and holder of the GPS (Goroka) and we hit out through the pineapple fields and forestry surrounding the Glasshouse Mountains (the plugs of long extinct volcanoes).

We met at the local servo where it rained like hell, but undeterred we spent a few hours cruising through wide open trails.

And down single track lantana invested sand and red clay mud pits - places my old KLR definitely let me down!!!

An absolute ball, loved every minute of it ... including getting a push when my battery died .

And there was just time for coffee on the run home.

Didn't see another bike or 4X4 until we were just finishing ... although there was a roo and a curled up python.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #35419
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
So I did an AIS removal a while back... I took the pipe leading to the header, cut the pipe off, filled the hole with an aluminium nut and high temp silicone and just clamped it back off to plug the hole. Worked great until today.

I'm cruising on the highway at about 110km/h and all of a sudden I lose a bit of power, engine sounds weak... I'm like shit I'm running out of gas? Pull over and I did a once around and noticed the nut fell out...

the silicone held up fine it must have been the vibes.

So now I need to either weld a nut in there or get a piece of aluminium cut.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #35420
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
As far as rubbing goes, I have an X and I run both X and R wheels with no problems, swapping them based on the riding I'll be doing. There is no rubbing at all up front with my 606. I've got my swap down to about 30 minutes, front and rear, including the front caliper swap/bleeding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I hope I am not repeating common knowledge here, I've spent some time searching to find the answer to no avail.

I have an X, and just purchased some W wheels. The X wheels will be getting a 45t, the W's will be getting a 47t. ( I am currently using the stock 13/42, and 1st is just too tall. 6th actually feels about right. I'm coming from an XT225 which has a REALLY wide ratio.)

1.-I am curious how much slack the axle blocks take up(the site mentions 13mm, but what does this equate to in terms of links?) Will reversing them leave you with a similar amount of chain slack between the two different sprockets (45 and 47t)? Does anybody have experience with this?

2.- I know some people talked about the X fork guards rubbing R wheels, is this the case the other way around, and do the X guards need to be modified to run R wheels. I will be switching out the X brake setup for an R setup when switching wheels as well.

Thanks everybody!
Thanks Zekester, now, as far as the Zeta block questions, do they minimize the need for the chain slack adjustment? Somebody? Bueller?
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #35421
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Thanks Zekester, now, as far as the Zeta block questions, do they minimize the need for the chain slack adjustment? Somebody? Bueller?
I installed some yesterday, so I can't specifically answer your question. The reason I installed them is that Kalani recommended them because they make adjusting chain slack more simple. I'm not sure they solve either, but they do look good.

Edit - here's the video, the Zeta blocks are @ 6:40, though he's fun so you may want to watch the whole thing...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783481

UtahFox screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 09:23 AM
Old 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #35422
Advental
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
UtahFox, I see that you have Rotopax plate on your rack. I was looking into my rack system and leaning towards Wolfman's soft luggage. I like the option of carrying fuel/water on one side and luggage on other if I'm only going out on a day/short trip. However Wolfman's website where they say how it is easy to remove their bag, they don't recommend riding without center straps over the tail holding two bags together on each side. I'm sure it is possible and its pobably their way of limitting their liability if/when the metal brackets fail if the bag was only supported by the brackets. Can you confirm this?
Advental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #35423
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advental View Post
UtahFox, I see that you have Rotopax plate on your rack. I was looking into my rack system and leaning towards Wolfman's soft luggage. I like the option of carrying fuel/water on one side and luggage on other if I'm only going out on a day/short trip. However Wolfman's website where they say how it is easy to remove their bag, they don't recommend riding without center straps over the tail holding two bags together on each side. I'm sure it is possible and its pobably their way of limitting their liability if/when the metal brackets fail if the bag was only supported by the brackets. Can you confirm this?
I'm sure you can ride without the cross-straps if your luggage was really light. I don't think I'd have too much problem carrying a gallon on each side on a day trip. But I wouldn't go without the cross straps while touring.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #35424
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advental View Post
Why not just run a strap across the tail onto the opposing rack?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #35425
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Wolfman Side Racks with Rotopax Mounting Plate

FYI: I have a set of Wolfman side racks and Rotopax mounting plate for sale in the Flea Market. Only used on one ride to New Brunswick last summer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post21386845

Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #35426
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,118
Cool2 Nice day on the Ridge

I was gonna sell, now I'm not...too good of a tool...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #35427
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I was gonna sell, now I'm not...too good of a tool...

Hey RD-

What's the setup you have on the left rear? I am looking for some more storage space. If you have posted before, can you give a link?

Thanks, BP
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #35428
goroka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
Finally I got a chance to use the WRR the way I'd hoped.

A spare Friday afternoon and a willing WRR partner in crime and holder of the GPS (Goroka) and we hit out through the pineapple fields and forestry surrounding the Glasshouse Mountains (the plugs of long extinct volcanoes).

We met at the local servo where it rained like hell, but undeterred we spent a few hours cruising through wide open trails.

And down single track lantana invested sand and red clay mud pits - places my old KLR definitely let me down!!!

An absolute ball, loved every minute of it ... including getting a push when my battery died .

And there was just time for coffee on the run home.

Didn't see another bike or 4X4 until we were just finishing ... although there was a roo and a curled up python.
Thanks to ReeksyOf Oz for posting - we had a top ride. Unfortunately did not get any photo's of the tight stuff. Could of gone through with his old KLR but it would taken a lot of huffing and puffing on our part.

I never cease to be amazed by the capability of this bike. I ride with two distinct groups - the adventure bike riders with their big KTM's, BMW's etc and then the pure enduro bikes - I am slower in the fast stuff with the adventure riders but usually catch them when the going gets harder and they start dropping bikes . I am a slow rider in the single trail stuff with the enduro's but we ride in some seriously steep stuff and I always get to the top with them. I dropped the gearing a bit as most of my riding is enduro and added a aftermarket exhaust. I have done nothing to the engine and removed the bits that I dont need like pillion footpegs. Suspension is standard. Bike had done approx 17 000 km and hasn't missed a beat .

Cheers
goroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #35429
DefyInertia
Saratogian

Oddometer: 153
Dual sport = Good for nothing?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #35430
Advental
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
New Rumble, thanks, but looks like someone else already sent you a PM for your side rack. Let me know if it falls through.

Anyway, for the suggestion about running the seat strap to the rack on the other side, I'm not sure if it will work... From the pics, it looks like a buckle will attach the straps together. Maybe I can buy some opposing buckle and extra straps which will be attached to the rack?

edit: I attached a pig tail for charger last time I rode it, but today on my way to work, my bike didn't start. I had no time to look into it, so I jumped into my car and went to work. Now that I'm home, I tried to jump start it. Before, my turn signals and display came on with code Er-1 or something with what sounded like a fuel pump and crazy noise like the buzz you would hear from transformer. I tried to jump start bunch of times and after several times, my head light came on. After the head light came on, I tried to use the start button. Well, it didn't work and head light shut down... Few more times trying jump start, it started! So I figured I will try to recharge my battery using different charger system tonight and see what the outcome is tomorrow. Hopefully it was just a crappy charger drained my battery and everything is all good.

Advental screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 12:44 AM
Advental is offline   Reply With Quote