Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #13171
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
believe that...then believe this...last friday I think it was ..I wrote off my front end from a crash at probly no more than 40 kmh on a good gravel road.,..has the VSM front spring upgrade...both forks and wheel wrecked...stock handlebars bent.....unrideable bike..has to be recovered...2 of 3 quotes were $5000.00..cheapest $3200... to recover and get it home ....RACV Total Care...
damn. sounds like you were okay though? if it's not an insurance job i think strummer still has his DR forks that were on fleabay.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #13172
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,818
Gday B1...it's an insurance job....and it isn't going to a Suzuki agent to be repaired... I was able to choose the repairer.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #13173
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Had the choice between a trail ride on the 'berg today or a stroll on the DR. DR won out and a nice little ride through the hinterland of the not so Sunny coast. Got to test how waterproof the new Klim gear was on the way home and pretty stoked with it. Not enough dirt but still a few km on it.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #13174
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Had the choice between a trail ride on the 'berg today or a stroll on the DR. DR won out and a nice little ride through the hinterland of the not so Sunny coast. Got to test how waterproof the new Klim gear was on the way home and pretty stoked with it. Not enough dirt but still a few km on it.
Hey, what wheels are those Pete (18" rear)?? They look great but would look better on my DR
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #13175
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrant1058 View Post
Am now on my 3rd DR650. Ditched my BST after numerous jet changes / mods and DJ kit didn't provide the results I wanted.
FCR fixed all those problems.
Then I rode 0405canvet's bike. That is the smoothest accelarating/ best carburating DR I have ever ridden!
bit of a bump on this earlier post. 0405canvet did the same mods to my DR as his. while the DJ kit was good, my butt dyno reckoned his setup has a bit more punch again AND also keeps the fuel economy up too. if you like to tinker i'd suggest at least trying a bit of BST magic before shelling out for a pumper carbie.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #13176
sweep rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Finally got to use mine as its intended with a nice 320km ride. The aftermarket tank which I assumed was pretty big looks like it only holds just over 10L. :(

On the upside the Safari tank turned up yesterday so will fit that in the coming days - presume it should be straight fwd but one should never presume...
Tank will hold 20lts good for 350kms or more, similar to the old tenere in picture, you could fuel up together, rare these days to not find a servo within that range, however your huge safari tank will belt you half way across Australia with barely a refill, brilliant if planning a true outback adventure.
sweep rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #13177
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks - You must be realy close to the $ as pulled 10L out of it after a 140km of riding. Was surprised in a good way. Its now off the bike and about to appear in the classifieds as the Safari is fitted and will stay on. Its been lots of fun setting the bike up even though it was mostly done when I got it. A few things to go and its done. :)
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #13178
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Thanks - You must be realy close to the $ as pulled 10L out of it after a 140km of riding. Was surprised in a good way. Its now off the bike and about to appear in the classifieds as the Safari is fitted and will stay on. Its been lots of fun setting the bike up even though it was mostly done when I got it. A few things to go and its done. :)
i have a safari on my dr holds 37l and get around 700km out of it,loaded.
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #13179
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
Gday B1...it's an insurance job....and it isn't going to a Suzuki agent to be repaired... I was able to choose the repairer.
hey gra glad your ok,did the ktm finally blow up??are going for another dr ...........
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #13180
JCat

Oddometer: 379
yz suspension

Not getting any real info in the main forum, so I'll try here..

My DR has stock suspension with stiffer springs front and rear, emulators in the front and gold valve in the rear.I bought an 01 YZ125 cheap yesterday with a stuffed motor to fix and log off.But my DR can't stop looking at the forks and shock on that little prick :)I realise they will need to be resprung and revalved.Who's done the conversion front and rear?Is it really worth it? Does it improve the bike that much?Any negatives?
80 CX500 Brat
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #13181
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

DIY stegz pegz if you like to do it standing up

i made a set of my own stegz pegz for the dirt bike. i'm really missing them on the DR so thought i'd make a set up. the moment i'm off road i like to stand pretty much all the time but it can get tiring on the upper body on all day rides, let alone five day rides.

just cut up and drilled some alloy plate, bought a pair of big door stops from bunnings, grabbed some spare alloy spacers, and stainless bolts. works a treat and cost $6... the same price as the rubbish bin fairing. beats paying $150 for the real thing, which they don't make for the DR anyway.

did a bit of a write up on drriders here if you want to see more piccies.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #13182
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbikedude View Post
hey gra glad your ok,did the ktm finally blow up??are going for another dr ...........
Gday Oz...no it hasnt...and no farkin way..
Old 05-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #13183
ArcticDingo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi all
I'm looking for a worn dr650 seat with a good base to fit my seat concepts seat kit to and save my standard seat. Is there anyone in Brisbane who has one they might want to part with?
Cheers
David
ArcticDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #13184
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

E09 D Size for DR

Going to fit a E09 Dakar to the rear of my DR which has an 18" rim and want to confirm the 130 is the size I need.

Will fit a D952 at the same time unless I shouldnt?

Thanks
Pete

panhead_pete screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 04:15 PM
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #13185
KIZ
Marty

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Going to fit a E09 Dakar to the rear of my DR which has an 18" rim and want to confirm the 130 is the size I need.

Will fit a D952 at the same time unless I shouldnt?

Thanks
Pete
Got one that size on my DR, fits OK also used E07 same size when on longer trip got 14k km , good tyre except in the slop. (There is a Mitas thread somewhere).
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote