ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West Ė California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
y0y02369 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
Check out the Google Maps app for iPhone- gives turn-by-turn directions and reads 'em into your earbuds.

I rode Tahoe a couple of weekends ago- slabbed it the whole way. The hill part was fun, but slab sucked- super hot and windy through Sac. A buddy tried to get me to ride from South Lake up along the lake and then down 80 to come back, but I didn't have the time- pity, I hear that's a great ride.

Another good ride is Skyline -> 9 -> Santa Cruz, and then 1 south -> Big Sur. Stay the night in Big Sur, then 1 south -> Cambria, 46 -> Paso Robles, then over to 25- we did 198, but Indian Valley Road out of Big Sandy looks even better (and less time on 101). Then 25 -> Hollister is a glorious ride! Careful, no gas for 70+ miles. Then we took the slab home 'cause it was 8 on a Sunday night when we rolled out of Hollister, but a great trip.

Report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880186
Yea i use google maps all the time! Love it for the trun by turn!

Wow! Sounds like a fun ride! thanks! I will read your RR after finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I think most of the GPS can do that.
Next Turn is really nice to have. On a foggy day on Hwy1 with traffic on your ass for one thing.
I would really miss Next Turn if I didnít have it.
Maps, my Zumo 220 has a really good road map of North America on it. And I can also add specialized maps via a SD card to either unit.
I can route off road by an arrow pointing me in the direction I need to go to reach may target, with a mileage countdown.
I can find the closest gas station or place to eat from where I am at easily.
I can find roads to route to easily.
When I first bought my 450, I was really disappointed; I didnít understand how to use it. It took me a while to get proficient.
It was my second ride that I got an inkling on good this was.
I was coming up Hwy 33 from Coalinga. I knew the route but letís see what the GPS says

No traffic on 33, I did a search for communities as I was riding. New Idria popped up, yeah, I want to get on that road.
The Zumo gave me a route but where is it going. I looked at the Next Turn pages; itís going to the freeway. I donít want to do that.

I turned onto a side road and the Zumo gave me a new route, a really fun one that I didnít know about

I am a fan.
And likely prejudice. I really donít know haw well the Iphone works

If I was buying a new GPS, I probably would not buy a Zumo. A Montana most likely
Well of course a GPS is always better than a phone hands down but i was just pleased with that app. I am not sure if my Zumi can do stuff like that... i am still in the process of learning how to use other than simple "Take me here" But thanks for the info! Really good to know.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote