User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
GarrettRB OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Using pulleys to pick up a bike.

Some people have been asking me about a pulley setup for picking up a bike. I figured I'd put it here too. Here's the basic setup if your only anchor is something on the ground. The board levers the bike upwards. If you can anchor the pulleys high up in the tree then there's no need for the board. More photos.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
lifting downed bike

The young lady in this video shows how it is done without the pulleys. This method works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6HTs9x3xBE
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Carry a board around with ya? Pulleys?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/W View Post
The young lady in this video shows how it is done without the pulleys. This method works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6HTs9x3xBE
Let's see her in the mud with a broken rib or collarbone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Carry a board around with ya? Pulleys?
board=branch.
pulleys and rope, absolutely (2 pulleys, 2 prussik rope, 20-40m of 8mm rope, 2-4 carabiners, to setup a Z-drag).
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
ratchit strap... jiggly jiggle jiggle...
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Harbor Freight sells these little rope/pulley setups for $4.99. It packs down pretty well.

Might get you out of a tight spot....might not.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

(sorry for pursuing the off topic discussion, I think they are worthy notes about other scenarios)

I initially bought similar block and tackle, but the z-drag setup is more versatile and you get a longer reach for a given length of rope.

just remember, for security sake, that any knot reduces its rope strength by at least half, and that dragging against mud, rocks and vegetation is increasing the load. Also, a 500lbs block and tackle typically has a rope of much less capacity because of mechanical advantage.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Mud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post

board=branch.
pulleys and rope, absolutely (2 pulleys, 2 prussik rope, 20-40m of 8mm rope, 2-4 carabiners, to setup a Z-drag).
She is probably smart enough not to be driving a big heavy bike through the mud! There is no way to be prepared for everything. If you are riding alone, it is only common sense to not put yourself in the position where you will have to self rescue. And if you are injured a better piece of equipment might be a "SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger", or cell phone if you have a cell signal.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
http://pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Following these instructions, she probably could.

What makes this method even easier is instead of picking the bike up from a crouched position with your knees bent, if you extend your legs and take tiny baby steps back toward the bike, it comes up so easily that I've actually seen small women throw the bike over on the other side. (They were using my bike. )

While the block and tackle are a neat idea, it's just not practical when there are so many easy ways to just pick the bike up.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
GarrettRB OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Cheap block and tackle uses nylon pulleys. I would only get all metal ones. A nice braided nylon rope is easy to work with and has many uses too.

I have never been able to pick up my TEX alone. It's extremely top heavy. When it goes over (without panniers), the wheels are off the ground. The TEX's center of gravity must be above the engine guards unlike a 1200GS. Picking it up is like doing a 600lb deadlift.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,210
I think the best method for her would be to stand next to it, and look helpless. Ten guys would be stopping to help her immediately.

The method I saw at a BMW class (not that I own a BMW) was to pick it up, facing the bike, by the lower handlebar. A woman picked up a GS1200 like that. You get as close as possible, look up (which keeps your back straight) and lift with your legs.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

I mean, the video shows a good'old butt-push technique, but it is mostly useless when one doesn't have an excellent feet grip (which typically is pretty rare around the area you just failed to ride through...) to push at 20-30 degrees

anyhow, back to the tip:

So, this plank, if one does fall over often or anticipates to, one can certainly find it worth to carry it around. It can also act as a bench or table, or safe ground to rest the bike on center/side stand overnight, for those camping. Do you have any other unusual purpose for it?

It got me thinking, the board has to be tall enough for lifting purposes, and large enough to avoid tipping sideways. In fact what you could use is 2 poles resting in triangle with the ground. Maybe aluminum is solid enough and lighter; maybe you can also find something telescopic like in aluminum crutches, to reduce length.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

block and tackle

Quote:
I mean, the video shows a good'old butt-push technique, but it is mostly useless when one doesn't have an excellent feet grip (which typically is pretty rare around the area you just failed to ride through...) to push at 20-30 degrees

anyhow, back to the tip:

So, this plank, if one does fall over often or anticipates to, one can certainly find it worth to carry it around. It can also act as a bench or table, or safe ground to rest the bike on center/side stand overnight, for those camping. Do you have any other unusual purpose for it?

It got me thinking, the board has to be tall enough for lifting purposes, and large enough to avoid tipping sideways. In fact what you could use is 2 poles resting in triangle with the ground. Maybe aluminum is solid enough and lighter; maybe you can also find something telescopic like in aluminum crutches, to reduce length.
What do you do if you don't have any trees or bolders to secure your rig to, such as being in the dunes or on a beach? Oh you cut your board in half and make a dead man which you bury with the shovel,did I bring a shovel?, ah, then your remaining board isn't long enough, and you might have forgotten the saw anyway. Then when you unload all the tools you need because they make the bike to heavy , they all sink into the mud . ----If you can't lift your bike , you might be better off with a lighter one.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/W View Post
What do you do if you don't have any trees or bolders to secure your rig to, such as being in the dunes or on a beach? Oh you cut your board in half and make a dead man which you bury with the shovel,did I bring a shovel?, ah, then your remaining board isn't long enough, and you might have forgotten the saw anyway. Then when you unload all the tools you need because they make the bike to heavy , they all sink into the mud . ----If you can't lift your bike , you might be better off with a lighter one.
No trees, no board, no shovel, no car bumper, no draught horse, no playground swing-set, no riding buddies?

Then you just pick the son of a bitch up and hope you don't get a hernia or have your hemorrhoids poke out...

Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,930
I used rope/pulleys/jack in a stuck once.
Except it was on the snowmobile.
And it was stuck bretty damn gud.

lots of shoveling

and the pig's finally out of the hole