Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
This scenario is exactly why I hate those towns that shorten the yellow light time. The national standard (I think) is suppose to be 1 sec for every 10 mph speed limit. I use to live somewhere that they set the 45 mph zone yellow lights to 3 sec!

So now people will pretty much slam on their brakes for a yellow. All around bad for bikes, imho.

To the OP: I knew an MSF RC (8 yrs) that went to the Gap. First time through, in the beginning, wiped out and practically totaled the bike. Trip over for everybody. I asked them: "what went wrong" and got "I don't know".

This from a person that teaches 'proper cornering technique'...

Cheers
Well, since I was glancing left and right, I don't know how long the light was yellow. All I know is that I looked up and the car behind me was stopping when I didn't expect it to be stopping. Could have been a short yellow light, but honestly I don't think the yellow lights are too bad here in Mountain Home. Certainly not ridiculously short.

But there are certainly some municipalities that shorten the yellow lights... undoubtedly for revenue enhancement rather than public safety.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Well, since I was glancing left and right, I don't know how long the light was yellow. All I know is that I looked up and the car behind me was stopping when I didn't expect it to be stopping. Could have been a short yellow light, but honestly I don't think the yellow lights are too bad here in Mountain Home. Certainly not ridiculously short.

But there are certainly some municipalities that shorten the yellow lights... undoubtedly for revenue enhancement rather than public safety.
I agree Gone. Not to indicate your situations was a result of the short yellow. Kind of hard to know now.

but! if a car in front of us knows they are short... and stops... and we're paying attention and stop... what about bone head behind us that doesn't stop? who's going to pay?

yeah, we know the answer to that already.

After I got a ticket for just barely being into the intersection after it turned RED, went back with a camera and videoed how long the yellow was. 3 secs in a 45 mph.

every motorcyclist should be fighting this shit. It's bogus. As you mentioned, only for revenue. I mean, that really sucks, especially for us that could potentially pay a serious price from a crash.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 551
HA! ASSHAT! i like that. One thing about this site is the attitude.

Cliffy109 I'm not at all surprised by your assesment. Sure my post sounds self serving and narcissistic (no wonder I liked Seinfield so much). Sounds like I am bragging up my own feelings? Perhaps. i do know though, that once I took on this attitude I rarely have traffic issues with other road users. And I ride about four times the national average per year in all kinds of weather.

But c'mon, WAY too people these days look for any other reason for what happens to them than what coulc possibly be their own doing or fault. Perhaps my age (55) is showing.

Either way, my point is let's focus on ourselves being the best riders first, and develop an attitude of I gotta take care of me, instead of expecting car drivers to look out for me, share the road, yield my right of way, whatever. Heck, when it comes to self-serving attitude, I say the public in general wins that hands down, car drivers especially.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 439
Laugh two that "weren't my fault"...

1. "GD gravel!" Age 20, came upon a buddy out riding so I came to a total stop on my Honda 750 on a dirt road. Extended left leg. Foot slipped out on gravel. Me and bike toppled left, quicker than I could ever imagine, slamming into the ground, bouncing head, landing full weight of the bike and hot parts on my left leg. Hurt like a MOTHER! Embarrassment WORSE!

2. "WTF, it's not supposed to rain in So. Cal!" Age 17, riding a very familiar favorite trail I rode almost daily, and cooking it. Began a corner only to find a 10' wide section of trail completely washed out. Ravine on my right, cliff on my left, no time to stop. Kept straight, bike dropped into wash out, I sailed over the wash-out, landing on back on the trail on my head and left shoulder. Result: concussion (with no lasting ill effects), torn rotator cuff (that bothers me 40 years later), very upset parents.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,052
Did he strike a nerve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Just curious as to why you felt it necessary to make this post in the first place? Congratulating yourself on taking responsibility for your own errors and chastising those who don't accomplishes what exactly? Did you need for us to nod our collective heads in acknowledgment of your maturity in examining your riding errors? Were we all supposed to say "me too!" and confess our errors so we can be as thoughtful as you? I don't get it.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
2 were halfsies (I rear ended brake-stompers twice,

Not trying to pick on you but am I to assume you don't take full responsibility for rear ending a vehicle?

I could have avoided each had I maintained a proper following distance and or been paying attention--
Fixed it for ya.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Fixed it for ya.
Fix this you FF

I said halfsies. Legally, I was technically at fault. Practically? You be the judge.

The first time was actually attempted insurance fraud by a guy in SoCal (the cop was so suspicious of the guy he never even wrote me a ticket). Does that *really* count?

Second time: woman in front of me in a merge lane, fully stopped at the yield. No traffic ahead of her on the road, no traffic coming up on the road. I'm waiting for her to go, she's taking forever. She finally goes, pulls away at normal speed. I look to my left to confirm one last time nope, no traffic, then start accelerating-- stupidly, BEFORE I looked back to my front to be sure the woman kept going. Nope, in the time between her driving away, me looking away, and me stepping on the gas, she stomped on her brakes, full stop, in the middle of merging onto an empty road. When we pull to the side of the road, SHE is all apologetic, "I dropped my cigarette!!" (Hence why she was taking so long to pull out, she was lighting it).

Had I been paying more attention, I wouldn't have hit her. I acknowledge my fault in that sense. But, again, my MAIN fault was in assuming the driver ahead of me would behave like 99.999-little-bar-over-the-top-% drivers would behave. I never assume on my bike... Why I assume in my car, I have no frakkin' clue. Crumple zones and airbags, I guess.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Yeah, I hate when I screw up even when it leads to nothing. I didn't take as long a look as I should have, or I assumed something about a driver and it ended up okay anyway. Sometimes I stop in the wrong spot at an intersection or don't leave myself enough room to pull away if someone is coming to rear end me...

I gotta fix that stuff or it will get me one day
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Did he strike a nerve?
If you are implying that I can't look at my own faults, then no, this doesn't strike a nerve. In fact, if you search the Face Plant thread, you'll find two crash reports from me. One of which is 100% my fault (low side on a downhill switchback) and the other is more complicated (kid made an illegal u-turn in the middle of a blind corner on a twisty country road).

I agree that we can all learn a lot more if we get over our own pride. It is only when we correctly identify the problem that the problem can be corrected. That's not easy for a lot of people to do. The issue I have is that this thread seemed quite self-congratulatory and pompous. I think Andyvh1959 even admits as much (very much to his credit).

So carry on...
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,052
This happens to people in cars as well.
My wife did it, thought the guy in front of her went, and was looking for traffic and drove into the back of the guy who had stopped.

It comes from being in a hurry.
If you are not in a hurry, you wait for the person to go, THEN look for a space to pull out.

Not being in a hurry can really reduce the chance of an accident, car or bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Fix this you FF

I said halfsies. Legally, I was technically at fault. Practically? You be the judge.

Second time: woman in front of me in a merge lane, fully stopped at the yield. No traffic ahead of her on the road, no traffic coming up on the road. I'm waiting for her to go, she's taking forever. She finally goes, pulls away at normal speed. I look to my left to confirm one last time nope, no traffic, then start accelerating-- stupidly, BEFORE I looked back to my front to be sure the woman kept going. Nope, in the time between her driving away, me looking away, and me stepping on the gas, she stomped on her brakes, full stop, in the middle of merging onto an empty road. When we pull to the side of the road, SHE is all apologetic, "I dropped my cigarette!!" (Hence why she was taking so long to pull out, she was lighting it).

Had I been paying more attention, I wouldn't have hit her. I acknowledge my fault in that sense. But, again, my MAIN fault was in assuming the driver ahead of me would behave like 99.999-little-bar-over-the-top-% drivers would behave. I never assume on my bike... Why I assume in my car, I have no frakkin' clue. Crumple zones and airbags, I guess.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
Andyvh1959 OP
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 551
If I struck a nerve,.....good.

If I made some more of us think a bit more about what we do to ourselves,....good.

I like what cliffy109 says, "It is only when we correctly identify the problem that the problem can be corrected. That's not easy for a lot of people to do."

Exactly to the point. That being if we can't judge ourselves for ALL aspects of riding and whatwe do, right and wrong, we are only at the mercy of the other road idiots and vermin. I feel more riders need to really think about everything they impact with thier riding, everything BEFORE the crash, that lead them to the crash. From that you learn there usually IS a lot you can change and do. Doing that more builds the attitude I refer to of taking it on yourself and improving your riding.

I have done many stupid things and got away with it. No pats on the back, I was lucky. But we can learn from those times.

Andyvh1959 screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 02:44 PM
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Growing up racing motocross I didn't have much to blame other then "those riders shouldn't have made a rut there" or "the dirt was to muddy in that spot" or "that rock should have moved out of my way." If I wrecked on the track it was always something I did wrong.

I did hit a deer on my street bike and it took me out. The week after it happened all I could think about is what I could have done to keep from hitting the deer if it happened again. There were a lot of things to blame, conditions weren't perfect (some loose fresh asphalt marbles from a paved patch), there were two deer and I hit the 2nd one, if I swerved left I would have hit the first deer, if I swerved right I would have hit a tree. In the end I did pull the brake lever a little to quick which locked the front tire and cost me about 20+ft in stopping distance after releasing the brake for a moment. I hit the deer around 30mph from going 50 so if I didn't screw up my braking I probably would have missed the deer by the skin of my teeth.

Shit happens, if everything were predictable life would be boring. I just wish it didn't happen with my brand new gsx-r600 with an odometer that read 2,4XX miles.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,875
Interesting thread.

I love the second hand telling of someone that has crashed.
Now most folks that repeat these stories don't ride.

You all know it was never the riders fault that he had to lay'er down.

With that said, I have been down twice in the last 7 years, and I know whose fault it was.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #29
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
I'll say that the only street crash that i can say IDK WTF happened (though I have an idea) Is when (I think) I hit a patch of sand sitting atop double yellows doing a U-turn at night several months ago. Going no more than 5 mph one second I was up, next second I was on my ass asking "wtf just happened?!"
Everytime I've had an unplanned get-off it was my fault, usually from going too fast. Twice from gravel at low speed, and once as you describe. I stopped at a red, started to make my right turn and suddenly I was on my ass in the middle of the lane. I had gone around that corner dozens of times with no issue. I didn't see any sand or gravel anywhere.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote