Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
2ongs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
comimg out of the mountains,

Crossing into Ar.

from Hot spring AR, we took th 270 into Pine Bluff, and stayed the night there. in the morning we got on the 425, a two lane road through very scenic southern AR, and into LA. once we crossed into LA the weather changed for the better pretty quickly. actually saw some sun and the wind pretty much disappeared.

We took the 165 into Monroe LA and after cruising a very nice neghborhood, trying to find Bill's house (GPS din't show it) we finally found it. did some catching up on old times and swapping kid stories etc. then Bill and Susie and their beautiful daughter Jenny took us on a sight seeing tour of the Black Bayou.

Jill eating crawfish at a restaurant on the Black Bayou.

Sunset on the Bayou.

we had a great time visiting with Bill and Susie. they were kind enough to put us up in there house for the night. in the morning they had to get to work and we got on the road, well at least down the street to the Waffle House. Bill and Susie have listed their house and are planning a move back to CA. hope to see them soon.

after some great waffles, got on the 165 to Alexandria, then the 49 into Lafayette and had some more fantastic cajun food at Prejean's (Bill's recommendation), 11ft. gator in the entryway means good cajun.

the "love bugs" were out in force "conected to each other", making a double splat on the wind shield and face mask. sounded like small gravel bouncing off my helmet, and it went on for miles.
After lunch we got on the 31S through small towns and neighborhoods. some of the small towns aren't so good about posting signs, so you really have to keep your eys open. the temp went up to the mid 70's, actually, had to pull over and lose my liner, nice for a change.

we finally worked our way to Houma via the 182 and the 90. good ride, but sometimes the back roads can make for a long day without making many miles. we did about 340 miles today, but again saw good scenery.

Again, we found a good cajun place to have dinner, appetizer of Boudin (cajun sausage), red fish with lemon sauce and almonds, and Jill had red fish dish that we can't spell (french), but it had a red sauce and chunks of fish, and was really good. (Boudreaux and tibaodaux cajun cooking).

memorable things from the last two days of riding: smell of fresh cut grass, the medians and shoulders are all grass and they seem to be mowing all the time. large vines hanging from tress, bugs, green. incredible estates and incredible shacks, sometimes right next to each other. poverty and wealth are so close it's kind of weird, road kill, the stars and bars still flying in the south, saw two today. old cars/ trucks in front yards. really good food !
2ongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #32
rmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Glad the weather is getting better for you. Great pictures and RR. you have inspired us, we cannot get away for two months but are going to take five days over memorial weekend and see some of Idaho and Montana. I am going to stage the bike in Spokane a week before so we get a head start.

Fantastic ride, keep it comming!
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #33
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ongs View Post
beautiful country side, got on the 270 E to the 271 south, and finally arrived at the start of the Talimena scenic ride, in Talihina, where we ended up stopping for the night because we were running out of daylight. It's right on the border of Arkansas, and on the weekends it is apparently a popular bike ride, according to the locals. a bunch of harley's pulled into our little hotel and were polishing their bikes getting ready for tomorrows ride.

the town is very small but has a lot of personality. We ate dinner at "Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner". once inside it is very apparent the owner has serious issues with her husband and men in general (all in fun, I think).
Hey I remember Pam's, had a burger there when passing through a couple of summers ago. Really enjoyed the Talimena Scenic Drive too.

Nice report, thanks for sharing!
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #34
tm2rd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Those crawfish look huge! Bet they were good. Now I'm jealous. Glad your keeping up the ride report!
tm2rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
2ongs OP
Adventurer

stayed in Gray LA, just outside Houma last night. got on the road this morning, 24N to the 20N to the 1 north. highly recommend the 1 all the way into Baton Rouge. it's back road one lane the entire way, small towns, but mostly southern style houses with real large yards and trees, some mansions and plantations. lots of French colonial style, many with pillars and front porches, kept saying "wow look at that one" to each other. went on for about 80 miles, really enjoyed that part of the ride today. one thing that really stood out was even in very small towns there were huge churches, some within just a mile or two of each other, I know it's the Bible Belt, but gotta wonder who paid for those things, they are beautiful.

we took the 1 into west Baton Rouge, and got caught up in some heavy traffic, and of course went the wrong way for about five miles, so got to enjoy the traffic twice. a guy on a v-max pulled up to us and started a conversation at stop lights. he saw the AK stickers on our bike and he was from AK, he wanted to help us plan our ride, all in traffic at stop lights, one of the weird things that happens on these rides. he was nice and meant well, but after looking at the map if we would have listened to him we wouldn't have got were we wanted to go (Bless his heart). Our destination for today was the Natchez Trace Parkway. we took the 61 N into Mississippi and into Natchez. the pky. goes all the way through MS and into TN. we did about 80 miles of it today and stopped in Vicksburg. it was just what I'd hoped for, one lane cut through a forrest, absolutely beautiful!

at points the trees form a canopy over your head and almost block out the sun, it's really nice and would even make a hot summer ride enjoyable. we got off the PKY to end the day in Vicksburg. we'll pick it up again tomorrow. our battery on the camera is dying, so we'll also search for one of those tomorrow.

getting ready to post on this site tonight made me think how times have changed on rides, it's now pretty high tech. even though I'm not, all these cords are part of what we took on this trip, to charge the phone, the camera, the Ipad, the Ipad keyboard, to transfer pict's to the Ipad, and the kindle.

that made me think of some of the other stuff that we use, liken the GPS.

about six months before this ride I invested in a Russell all day seat, it was worth every penny.

http://2ontour.smugmug.com/Other/sum.../L/image-L.jpg

some other highlights of the day; great smells, not sure what the plant is but it smells like jasmine and it's all over the place, especially on the Natchez Trace, magnificent estates, Bayous, fried catfish, the lack of foreign cars, not that they're not here because they are but just not many compared to So Cal. went all day before I saw a Mercedes, and that was only one all day. American trucks rule in the south. same with the bikes, Harley's everywhere, it's unusual to see another foreign bike. tonight in Mississippi, will probably end up in AL tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #36
2ongs OP
Adventurer

forgot to show this yesterday. Note the smudge on the left side of the picture. We noticed similar smudges on the pictures yesterday--turns out it was a bug on the lens. Those were some serious bug swarms through Louisiana!

started the day in Vicksburg Mississippi. our plan was changed slightly because we spent more time at the "Vicksburg Military Park" than we anticipated, because it was Awesome (new ADJ.) if you're in the area of Vicksburg, recommend you see it.

sorry for so many pict's, but that was for the history buff's. in the early 1900's soldiers from the Civil war came back to the battlefield and helped document it, so it is the best documented battle from the civil war. the area has a real hallowed feel, quiet, serene and majestic.

Ok, after the tour, we got back on the Natchez Trace PKY. heading north. Again this is a fantastic ride, and highly recommend it. yesterday, I remember saying if only it had a stream it would be perfect. As if on command a stream appeared, then a river. today we did a little under 100 miles, bringing our total on the PKY. to somewhere just under 200 miles. it goes for another 200 in Mississippi alone and then into TN. today the highlight was the huge lake, swamp and the near perfect road lined by trees.

while standing on the boardwalk in the middle of the Cypress swamp, we heard a big splash. I happened to be looking right in the area and saw a big splash. at first we thought it was a branch that broke from high up and fell in the water, but then I saw the branch moving. it was about three feet of snake. it swam right toward us and pulled itself up on the base of the tree. I'm not an expert on snakes but if I had to guess I'd say it was a "python," if you look close you can see it in the next picture, at the base of the tree. how often do you see a snake fall out of the sky?

after we left the swamp, we headed north to the 16E and took that to Philadelphia MS. then the 19S to Meridian. the scenery on both the 16 and 19 was more sparse housing and occasional shacks, small town mixed with medium sized towns and even a college town, Clinton has Miss Sate. there. Had lunch at a deli and it was great. if you stop in Meridan, highly recommend "Dickie's BBQ pit" it's in a shopping center but it's some really good BBQ. Meridian is on the border with AL. we'll cross over tomorrow, hope to drive past an old boyhood home in FT. Rucker, AL.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #37
2ongs OP
Adventurer

"End of the road less traveled" for now. we had a freaky accident that has changed our plans dramatically. yesterday, when we were filling up at a gas station near Monroeville AL. the bike was was on "uneven" cement at the pumps , I turned my back to start the pump and the bike fell over, Jill was standing next to it and first tried to stop it and then tried to get out of the way, I turned in time to see it fall over. Jill stumbled and fell down, breaking her wrist. Once we got he bike back up iced her wrist and made a sling out of a pair of pants, we got back on the bike and drove into Monroeville to the Hospital. Jill had hoped they would be able to set it and cast it and we could contiue with our trip, but it wasn't to be. the wrist is broke in two places and will need surgery. the folks at the hospital were very helpful, even trying to help find us a rental car. After we got the prognosis, we decided the best action was to drive her to the Pensicola airport, about 100 miles away and put her on a plane so she can have surgery and recover at home. I then will ride back. and that is what we did. today I got a rental from the local Ford dealer, the owner Jim Sales was very helpful in getting the car and giving me the "short cut" route to the airport. Jill is in a splint and has pain meds, she was feeling "pretty good" when I dropped her at her terminal.
the Bike falling was my fault, I should have seen it coming, just didn't. I'm sure I will make it up to her somehow. she was adamant that we will continue our "vacation" one way or the other, probably not on the bike but we will do something else while she still has time off work.

I did a little patch work on the bike, a few things needed attention after it fell over. After I returned the rental and loaded the bike, I finally got on the road about 2:00pm. made a couple hundered miles before stopping for the night just out side Jackson MS.
Since my bride isn't here to enjoy the sights, I'll just get on the intersate and bomb my way home, will get an early start tomorrow, and just cruise, hope to make Abilene. will watch the weather, I know around San Antoino they have some nasty weather right now, hopefully it will stay south until I get through.

the following are probably the last pictures I'll post for this trip, unless there is something really cool and I actually take the picture. some are before the "fall" and some are after. it was a great ride while it lasted, just short of two weeks out of a planned 10 week trip. we both went with the idea that hopefully the "smaller incidents in life" like this one will hold off the really big ones. don't know if that is true, but that's what wer're going with.

Warning!!! if you're squeamish you may not want to look at the next pict.

after the hospital, to the local hotel and a "fine meal" delivered to the room.

duct tape can fix almost anything. should hold....

all the gear loaded, and ready to leave from the Ford dealer in Monroeville AL.

well folks that's it for this "Adventure", I should be home in a few days and we will plan our next one, hopefully with out hospital visits and plane rides home.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #38
Steev1705
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bluhduh Sorry to hear the news

Brian,
I'm so sorry to hear this news, I know how much you guys were looking forward to this trip. Life sometimes has its unfortunate twists and turns but I know you two will make another run at it in the future. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your adventure, it was fun tagging along.
-Steve Kea
Steev1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #39
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Aw, so sorry to hear about Jill's injury. I'm sure she will recover just fine.

Looks like weather in San Antonio is supposed to be nice on Sunday and Monday, so probably you don't need to sweat that. You might try hitting some of Texas Hill Country from there, it's very pretty... see "Reconnection Ride" in my sig (post #31) for more about that.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #40
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,425
Great report! Not so good on Jill but it's gonna all be good in the end. On both my R11**GSs, I welded a 3/8" plate to keep it from lean so far over. My stops when loaded down were pretty comical with my 29" Inseam. LOL. Put the side stand down, stand on the left peg and quickly jump to the ground to keep the bike from falling over. Then putting it on the center stand.
Loving the report and pictures. Thanks for the work of sharing and posting the pictures. Hope it's all good with Jill.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great ride report.....

Lots of fun reading and watching......thanks much.

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Sorry to hear about the derailment! But at least you did get 2 good weeks of riding. That was a mighty fine ride report & appreciate you sharing. Hope you have a safe trip home!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #43
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Great RR. Sorry it had to end like this but look at the bright side. You are both alive and well. Just remember the good times and let it roll from there. Sounds like and Epic 2 weeks even with the injury.. Wrists heal. I know you will be back out there soon.. Get Well quickly..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #44
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
yup

I'm in,
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #45
pedroguzzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14