Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Great to have you (& everyone else) on board.
Is it really hot & muggy on the coast? Weather is nice you say, ocean breeze...... We will hit some coastline stuff eventually.
We are coming into the cool season and it is not super hot or muggy! Nice ocean breeze every day! The coastal road between Puerto Cayo (actually the road from Jipijapa to puerto cayo is really neat too) to here in Salinas is really nice and scenic and if continuing south through Guayaquil I can show you a cut through to keep on the coast as far as playas!
Enjoy!
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
That sounds like a good area , Mike.

We are being flexible with our rigid maintenance schedule . The bikes really should have the valve clearance checked, we have shims along, but recently got the feeler gauges.I could use a new rear tire pretty soon too. The oil changes have been every 2000km or so . One quart out, one quart in.

Cool light switch in the old hotel

Bags of coffee beans at the co-op

Seeing these photos at the outdoor sporting goods place got me thinking

Scooped up a lightweight rig with a few lures. If I carried a flute from Xela to Cali I'm sure I can find room for this on board. I think there's gonna be a few places along the way. The guy said there's no fishing licenses needed. Rod and reel with lures$18 hotel $7 lunch $5
Store $4.50 were within budget here.

I think Monday we will look at getting the insurance $8 for one year. It may save us from hassles later

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 02:28 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
You have another devout lurker!

Thanks for sharing.

Best,
Vic
Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,144
Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #20
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
A kopper on a kawasaki

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Our cheap place

After 3 nights of rest and cheap food, we finally fired up our Super Sherpas and headed out. We went south and got onto the rural road.

Passing through San Antonia de Ibarra, famous for its wood carvings, we continue on and the Sherpas are liking the 45 km/per hour 3rd gear/4th gear speeds.

I don't mind adventurous dirt routes, but rural paved stuff is what I really like.

We continued on towards the lake near Otavio, hitting the cobble road for a bit.

The road must be very old

We are riding parellel to the Pan Am highway but with no big trucks, maybe more scenic and relaxing to travel on, while still going towards Quito.

Soon we circle around the lake, passing through some small towns.

Soon we merge back onto the big highway after the short rural segment.

A major milestone on the journey around the globe (part ways!)

More in a bit.......

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 02:34 PM
Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

After the equator we had to eat, as it was the middle of the day in the middle of the world. We saw food cooking so we pulled in.

They understood our tongues and gave us pork , chicken,corn & potatoes

After we were full, the guy pulled out the cuy, and I asked him for a sample but he said its not for lunch, its for Mothers Day supper. Then he showed me a pail full of trout! Wow!

Then he threw one on the grill

We know there's fish out there!

I checked into the fishing scene a bit, and because there's no rules to speak of, the lakes get netted, and even dynamited by the locals. The good fishing involves going into backcountry lakes that are accessed by horseback or even train. I am still gonna keep the eyes peeled. When I see locals fishing , I will stop and check it out.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 07:17 AM
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
tedmarshall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Great report Hekto

Long time reader of your north country reports. What a trip!

Ted
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #25
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 838
Great pics and report so far, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Up&Downer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
In

I'm in
Up&Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

We went around Quito in the high hills. We didn't feel like being in a big city after recently doing 3 days in Ibarra. The Sherpas were eager to climb up in altitude.

We began heading up in an easterly direction and the higher we went the colder and foggier it got. Bare hands were soon numb at 12,700 feet as indicated on the GPS

We got to a lake and there was a sign for Termales.

We took the gravel backroad along the cliff and over a small bridge.

We arrived at Pampallacta, where we stopped at a small store for 6 liter water jug, some eggs and other supplies.

We left the store and went up the dirt road to the big ritzy resort and asked about prices. $150 a night Yikes!!!! $7.50 to just soak in their pools. We backtrack to the older cheaper place

We make a deal for a private room. We get in for forty five bucks, right beside the 3 different pools. We justify the expense by celebrating our arrival in the Southern Hemisphere as well as 4 full months on the road. We will get an evening soak, as well as a morning soak in the mineral pools, so that's 4 X $7.50 value . We can be cheap again later.

One pool is inside a shelter, this is the 2nd hottest one.

There was hardly anyone here being Sunday night. The interior pool is the hottest.

We really were looking forward to the termales

This is pretty good !

Rosie shows the iPod to a local

It's chilly up here. We will light a fire in the fireplace before bedtime, but for now, we will boil the eggs and noodles on the stove, in the fireplace so the fumes from the stove go up the flue.

After a nice soak we were able to get a decent fire going in the fireplace. It was very quiet here. A road from here keeps going into the national park. If the sky clears off in the morning we may go up and check it out.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 01:29 PM
Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #28
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmarshall View Post
Long time reader of your north country reports. What a trip!

Ted
Welcome on board the Ecuador SuperSherpa ride ! There's some cool stuff coming up. Glad you enjoyed the northcountry stuff. We finally made it to the southern half!

SoSlow & Up&Downer thanks for tuning in ! Knowing there's riders enjoying the updates makes it worth the time it takes to post
Old 05-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
You started this post at a great time for me!! I leave in 22 days to fly into Quito and rent bikes for 10 days of riding. Doing an off road tour into the mountains and then playing on the coast for a few days. Cramming as much as we can into ten days!!!! Really cool getting your perspective and seeing the pictures!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

After a restful night we had the usual oatmeal & tea on the campstove . It was pretty foggy in the valley and we took our time getting ready to go after more soaking in the pools. There's something about hot springs or sauna and the feeling of well being that one gets after a good session. Being of Finnish decent I prefer a sauna, but I can appreciate a decent hot spring

Strange plants nearby

We were hoping to get a glimpse of the Volcans but with the thick fog, we enjoyed the new blacktop twisting downhill to the Amazonas region.

We really liked the new pavement

We can see the effects Mother Nature has on the roads here, with a new temporary bridge in place as the previous one is swept away.

We are buzzing along, and follow the river and are awestruck by the two-tier waterfall cascading down....

More downhill and we arrive at the junction at Baeza. We fill up both Sherpas. Check out those gas prices! If that's not enough to inspire lots of miles, then the I don't know what is.....

We header southbound into Amazonas country......

Soon we are riding along jungle type plants, ferns & palms leaves big enough to cover your entire body. Lots of simple huts along the road too. The rain got so severe........ We couldn't stay dry even with rain gear. We rode past 12 o'clock looking for somewhere to eat lunch. Finally we found a spot. The rain got worse....

The ground got real soft and the bikes wanted to fall over as the kickstands sank in.....

Finally the rain abated, & we got going again.

We tried to get the perfect jungle photo, but this is the best we could do. There's lots of side roads to explore, but we didn't want to go down them with so much rain recently. Plus we were soaked right through already .

This was very pleasant cruising, mostly top gear stuff.

We saw a cool old bridge so we turned back and went to look at it.

Single lane traffic

At one point we climbed up higher and could see over the delta and get an idea of the vast area with little or no roads, mostly river travel.

I saw these roads on the map, and I had to satisfy my curiosity and ride it. We want to visit each region in Ecuador , Amazonas, Andes & Coastal.

We almost stayed in the town of Tena,but kept rolling towards Puya crossing the Rio Napo.

12$ for a huge room.

We boiled eggs again with noodles & tea. Trying to reign in the budget after the $$$$ termales.
Room $12
Gas. $5
Store. 4.50
Lunch $5
-------
$26.50 or $13.25 per person for the day in South America. JD you'll like it.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 06:23 PM