Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #91
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
I was first exposed to motorcycles and motorcycling at age 11 back in the early 60's. My uncle had a Harley Bagger and a little Vespa. He let us kids ride that Vespa up and down in the alley behind his house. I rode that thing probably a thousand miles in that one block length of alley that summer. I was hooked after that.

I have always thought that scooters were art as well as transportation. Getting to live for a year in Italy in my mid 20's made that impression even stronger for me.

I have ridden motorcycles all my life (after age 11). I have also owned a scooter (50-250cc) the last ten years. Now into my 62 year, I have found that I have difficulty getting onto my Wee-Strom as I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Then last summer I found that I was having trouble pulling my clutch due to my thumbs hurting - the docs wanted to fuse the base joints on my thumbs. My answer was to let the joints rest over the winter and to ride my Honda Helix in town. Last weekend, I traded my Helix on a Burgman 650 Executive. The Wee-Strom is just sitting in the motorcycle shed not being ridden at this time.

Do I love scooters? I have always loved them. As I said above, I think they are art. I also love them as transportation. I love the little scooters for a lot of the reasons you guys have already said. I love my big scooter because it allows me to still do motorcycle stuff too. The best of both worlds...

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #92
SgtNapalm
ADV'er

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8...d0505c98_b.jpg

There is an element of adventure in every ride.
Nice pic Scootrboi,

The Girls at the Bank Drive Thru ask me "Are you Bringing Sexy Back?" when i'm on the Scoot, ha.

SgtNapalm screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 06:59 PM
SgtNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #93
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
If I had a motorcycle I would use it on those beautiful warm dry days that occur once in a while in June and July. The rest of the year, I would ride my foul weather miracle, the scooter with legshield, floor and windshield.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/8...08341901_m.jpg
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #94
Houndguy
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 50
Thumb

When asked what I like about riding...I said the following "I think it's something primitive. Just you, the machine...no distractions. Your fully committed to keeping yourself and the bike safe...because the road below you is unforgiving. It's being on that edge...not being stupid, not being foolish...but connecting to the world around you. Smelling the flowers as you pass, feeling a stone as it kicks up and strikes you. Your fully alive. Your fully engaged."

I have only ridden scooters. Well I've considered getting a "real bike" I just don't think it's me. I'm a scooter guy in my heart.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #95
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
When asked what I like about riding...I said the following "I think it's something primitive. Just you, the machine...no distractions. Your fully committed to keeping yourself and the bike safe...because the road below you is unforgiving. It's being on that edge...not being stupid, not being foolish...but connecting to the world around you. Smelling the flowers as you pass, feeling a stone as it kicks up and strikes you. Your fully alive. Your fully engaged."

I have only ridden scooters. Well I've considered getting a "real bike" I just don't think it's me. I'm a scooter guy in my heart.
I just bookmarked your blog and will be following your adventures.
We lived in Tamps for a long time , moved back to central NC. about 7 years ago. Next time i am down there I'll try and look you up.
Doug
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #96
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post

Well said.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #97
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
I have owned bikes and scooters over the course of 20 + years. Love them all. What I like most about scooters is their ease of use, simplicity, the slower pace, the ability to jump on, jump off, stopping more frequently to smell the roses and snap pictures. I like the low cost of ownership, the smiles from on-lookers and the ones that come from simply riding the damn things.

I have several right now, all special in their own ways.

klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote