ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #3151
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
I rode the std 1190, not the R.
The 1190 is a great bike, the GS just felt better to me.
I got off the 1190 thinking, "that was nice", and walked away.
I got off the GS thinking "I want one".
You're doing the comparison I intend. Wondering what your current ride is ? I have a 1200 Multi Strada and the one thing I enjoy is the get up and go. I have owned a string of BM's and quite like them but performance is an important part of my equation.
I toured NZ on a GSA two up and loved it, in fact nearly purchased one at a good price when I got back but decided to wait for the wet motor. A GSA might still be the bike for me, would like to get some idea of what the new one will be like.
The orange bike does interest me, seems it is more dual purpose than all the others , has decent build quality, unlike the Italian crap I currently own, and performance . So I need to organise a ride !
Old 05-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #3152
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Missed you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Tried the bike (1190) today, just a 20-minute run in urban and extra-urban conditions so hard to reach firm conclusions.

Nevertheless, it was extremely impressive. I suspect you'll be pleased.
I rode the 1190 yesterday as well. Would have been more relevant to ride the 'R' as that is what I would like.

However, I finished up with the same experience as PPia, i.e. - 'that was nice...'

I was expecting to have my arms near ripped-off, but it was nowhere close. ** Note - the bike only had 100+ km's on the clock, so still tight.

Jumping back on my bike to ride home, only confirmed my assessment - my 990 has a more aggressive power delivery (low to mid at least) that just makes it more 'fun' (possibly read 'hooligan').

I will return in a couple of weeks to try again once the test bike is run-in. Hope to be impressed then.
The 'R' on the floor was wheeled out by it's new owner while I was there.

My wife was most pleased on my slightly disappointed test ride....

KTM Pilot screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 11:46 PM
KTM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #3153
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post
I rode the 1190 yesterday as well. Would have been more relevant to ride the 'R' as that is what I would like.

However, I finished up with the same experience as PPia, i.e. - 'that was nice...'

I was expecting to have my arms near ripped-off, but it was nowhere close. ** Note - the bike only had 100+ km's on the clock, so still tight.

Jumping back on my bike to ride home, only confirmed my assessment - my 990 has a more aggressive power delivery (low to mid at least) that just makes it more 'fun' (possibly read 'hooligan').

I will return in a couple of weeks to try again once the test bike is run-in. Hope to be impressed then.

Did you switch the electronics off, particularly the MTC (traction control) whilst you were o the test ride ? With the traction control on it backs the power off to keep the front wheel moving forwards, instead of straight upwards and can feel a little down on power. Switch it off and take care with the throttle in the first three or four gears

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #3154
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I would agree pebbles, I actually turned the traction off as I felt that it may be constantly monitoring even tho you can't feel it and KTM Pilot it doesn't literally rip your arms off but if you didn't get her above 6k your in for a surprise when you go back,
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #3155
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
IMO getting an "Adventure" bike and then having to ride over 6,000 rpm "to see what its like" completely misses the point.

My 950 is grunty, tractable, real world fast and a joy to ride everywhere.

If I want to go stupid fast, all top end acceleration, mental brakes, knee scraping corners etc, I'd get an R for sure.

Only it would be an R1 to go along side the 950.

Personaly I dont need or want 150hp on an Adventure bike.

Each to thier own I suppose.
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #3156
Audun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
More 1190 feedback/review

Hi

Have lurked for some time but now I'm in and might as well give something back to the inmates. A non orange coloured review.

Coming from a R1 and a tuned RG500 I'm not the average GS tourer type. Put a lot of long touring in Europe on the R1 until som bastard stole it. Wanted to expand my touring to gravel so I went for the 1190 T after reading and testing.
I have to agree with most reviews so far, and here is my summary after only 500km.

Bad:
- screen noise
- seat (my R1 gave me less numb ass...)
- sidestand (hope they fired the responsible)
- delivery time of extras....

All the bads are easy to fix or live with in my opinion. I should really not comment on suspension yet, but coming from R1 it is not hard for asphalt roads. The reviewers that claims racing bike handling on asphalt is wrong. It is fast, but will newer corner like an racing bike, but that is not the point either.
I have not been on grawel yet and would anyhow not be the correct person to comment on that.

The good:
- power (if correct setting)
- gearbox ( should have had 7 gears though, given the large useable speed range)
- clutch
- brakes
++

Coming from an carbed inline four I am a little surprised about the good reviews on low rpm performance. To me it feels rough when running at very low speeds which can be challenging when doing slow turns. I guess the comparision in the reviews is done with other twins, 990 in particular. A little dissapointed that it doesn't perform better that an 12 year old carbed four in this respect.

A friend of mine bought the new GS. I didn't want a GS as the main selection criteria of min has always been the fun factor. A motorcycle is not a tool, so it need not be perfect. I still own a RG500, which has so many flaws it is unbeliveable. I will newer sell it though, as no other bike can compare on the fun factor. I hope the 1190 will get the same spot in my heart :)

This summer I will tour the alps again for three weeks, half of that with pillion. Can probably give much more feedback then. Now I need to run it in properly.

Audun
Audun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #3157
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Bails, currently using a Sporty as an adventure bike

-----------------

Neither of the bikes are really fast, but they don't need to be. Either will take me to the speeds that will lose my license and bike for life.

I rode the KTM twice. The first time the dealer lent me a helmet. The buffeting was so bad from the screen it felt like someone tapping on my helmet and I looked to kill them.
Two days later I tried it again with my own helmet. WAY better. I'd still change the screen, but it's just a nuisance noise.

I like shaft drives. I like belts. I like chains when they are new. I hate paying for new chains and sprockets.
F.ck you KTM.

BMW comes with Navigation bracket and trickery ready to attach their system.
I don't want it. I use the map in my phone if I need to.
I don't want to be forced to pay for this thing, and I certainly don't want to have to pay again to have it removed. It also blocks my view to the gauges.
F.ck you BMW.

Cruise control. Bag me if you will, but I visit my Mum in Albury and have to ride the Doom (Hume). Those that do, know the amount of police on it. I spend more time watching the speedo on that ride than the road. Hate it.
Cruise control is good.
Thank you BMW.

The KTM R should be better off road due to the 21 front wheel. I like going off road with a 21" front wheel.
Thank you KTM.

However, I can fit a 21" front wheel to the BMW and I can throw the navigator bracket thingy through the dealers window, but I can't fit a shaft drive to a KTM.

I'm choosing the BMW.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #3158
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Mtc

Nope - just set it to 'Sport' - It did feel 'held back' in some way. I look forward to the next ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Did you switch the electronics off, particularly the MTC (traction control) whilst you were o the test ride ? With the traction control on it backs the power off to keep the front wheel moving forwards, instead of straight upwards and can feel a little down on power. Switch it off and take care with the throttle in the first three or four gears
Old 05-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #3159
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
I did a short ride today and as Pebble mentioned I switch the electronics off for first time.. Scary! Fast & furious
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #3160
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Not sure if it is normal, but I realised today when I turned the switch "on" without starting the bike, that it has a continued noise.. I'm assuming it is the electronic water pump.. Does that turn off eventually if you leave the switch open?
Mine doesn't do it!
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #3161
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
... that it has a continued noise.. I'm assuming it is the electronic water pump..
The water pump isn´t electronically controlled. Probably, what you hear is the fuel pump.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #3162
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Bails, currently using a Sporty as an adventure bike

Neither of the bikes are really fast, but they don't need to be. Either will take me to the speeds that will lose my license and bike for life.

I rode the KTM twice. The first time the dealer lent me a helmet. The buffeting was so bad from the screen it felt like someone tapping on my helmet and I looked to kill them.
Two days later I tried it again with my own helmet. WAY better. I'd still change the screen, but it's just a nuisance noise.

I like shaft drives. I like belts. I like chains when they are new. I hate paying for new chains and sprockets.
F.ck you KTM.

BMW comes with Navigation bracket and trickery ready to attach their system.
I don't want it. I use the map in my phone if I need to.
I don't want to be forced to pay for this thing, and I certainly don't want to have to pay again to have it removed. It also blocks my view to the gauges.
F.ck you BMW.

Cruise control. Bag me if you will, but I visit my Mum in Albury and have to ride the Doom (Hume). Those that do, know the amount of police on it. I spend more time watching the speedo on that ride than the road. Hate it.
Cruise control is good.
Thank you BMW.

The KTM R should be better off road due to the 21 front wheel. I like going off road with a 21" front wheel.
Thank you KTM.

However, I can fit a 21" front wheel to the BMW and I can throw the navigator bracket thingy through the dealers window, but I can't fit a shaft drive to a KTM.

I'm choosing the BMW.
Thanks, I thnk the fitting of the 21 inch to the BMW might be an issue for TC and ABS . My issues are getting a better screen than the MTS offers , chain isn't a deal breaker, but would be more an issue if doing a lot of dirt. I owned a XB12X and loved the belt drive, easy to change a belt , the sporty would take a bit of time to change. Belts do break , hardly doesn't seem to think keeping spares in Australia is needed ??

I aim to test the KTM , in fact thinking of a trip to Canberra this Friday. If the KTM meets my requirements I think I'll give it the nod, but won't know untill both bikes have been ridden.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #3163
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
IMO getting an "Adventure" bike and then having to ride over 6,000 rpm "to see what its like" completely misses the point.

My 950 is grunty, tractable, real world fast and a joy to ride everywhere.

If I want to go stupid fast, all top end acceleration, mental brakes, knee scraping corners etc, I'd get an R for sure.

Only it would be an R1 to go along side the 950.

Personaly I dont need or want 150hp on an Adventure bike.

Each to thier own I suppose.
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
I spend 95% of my riding at or below 6500rpm, where it still feels more powerful than the whole rev range of the 990. I change fear less than I used to, taking most sweepers in 6th gear with plenty of grunt.

Then.... When you want the extra power to overtake it have a blast, take it above 6500rpm and HOLD ON TIGHT!!!!
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #3164
vanilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post

It must be broken. It took me a while to build up the courage to accelerate hard at 6k rpm and felt MUCH faster than the 990! I have at some beans at around 60 mph in third the other day and the traction light flashed on as the back wheel tried to spin up!!! You'd never spin the back wheel of the 990 on Tarmac, at 60!!
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #3165
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
bad:
- seat (my r1 gave me less numb ass...)
- sidestand (hope they fired the responsible)
- delivery time of extras....
+1
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote