User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Manicska OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New here with a question of two.

Hello All ! Been lurking for a week or so and reading up on some of the amazingly epic rides people have done or are taking atm. Finally came up with a question and figured I would go ahead and register and see if I could get some answers.

Before I ask, I'll give a short riding bio as it pertains to my question and may help with the answer.

I got my first dirtbike at about 11, a 1987 Suzuki DR100 that had all the lights taken off it. Rode it until my Junior year of high school where it finally became too small for me and I sold it. Now step forward to 2006 when I purchased my first street legal bike. I had just moved out to Phoenix, AZ and managed to pic up a 2006 GSXR 600. Put about 12K+ on it then upgraded to a 2007 model (long story really..lol) which I also put about another 12K+ on. I never had a motorcycle endorsement (very bad I know). I did get caught of course and went and took the written exam for a permit. In AZ they have a course in which you ride and are deducted for different things. After practicing on the course for an afternoon, I realized that If I was to pass, it would be barely as the course was not designed with a sport-bike in mind. Left AZ and the bike behind.

Now I am back in Tupelo, MS. I have an opportunity (the wife O.K.'d it..lol) to get a new bike. I have been intrigued with adventure riding/dual sports for a few years now and just figured it would be a long time before I was able to do anything about it. I am currently looking at the 2013 KTM 690 Enduro R. It suits what I want the bike for which is an ALL AROUND bike. Commuting, Adventure, Off-Road, Cruising, etc. Super excited to see that everyone with the 690 seems to be very happy with it. Now on to the question(s).

I am, of course, going to make sure that I am legal here in MS unlike I was in AZ. I am not worried about the written exam as it is easy. I have a friend that will lend me his Rebel 250 to take the driving exam on. He just has to get an updated insurance card. He does not have an endorsement himself which brings up another question.

Anyone here taken the riding exam in Tupelo? If so, what was required? I have not ridden this Rebel, but have experience on other bikes other than what is listed. I am not worried about the riding part, just curious to know what to expect. Also, if I go get my permit first, I am only allowed to ride if another rider with an endorsement is following me on another bike or in a car. Do you know if they will ask to see the other rider's endorsement or will they just assume that he or someone else, that followed me up to the DMV, has one?

I know this is getting lengthy, I just want to try and do this as best I can. The friend with the Rebel is the only person I know that has a bike, period. I have nothing that could trailer a bike up there, in which case I'm left in a catch 22 position about trying to get my endorsement.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to meeting up with some of the 'locals' here and take a trip in the soon-to-be-near future.

Thanks
Richard
Manicska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,317
if you can pass the written test you can do the driving test the same day, you dont need the permit for that. so if you can ride, the bike will pass inspection, and everything is up to date on it, your only problem is getting the bike to the place to take the test.

oh and the test isn't easy, it's stupid, it has a lot of dumb trick questions on it that arnt even about motorcycles. so get the book and learn it,,, and I mean all the really odd crap that's in it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicska View Post
Hello All ! Been lurking for a week or so and reading up on some of the amazingly epic rides people have done or are taking atm. Finally came up with a question and figured I would go ahead and register and see if I could get some answers.

Before I ask, I'll give a short riding bio as it pertains to my question and may help with the answer.

I got my first dirtbike at about 11, a 1987 Suzuki DR100 that had all the lights taken off it. Rode it until my Junior year of high school where it finally became too small for me and I sold it. Now step forward to 2006 when I purchased my first street legal bike. I had just moved out to Phoenix, AZ and managed to pic up a 2006 GSXR 600. Put about 12K+ on it then upgraded to a 2007 model (long story really..lol) which I also put about another 12K+ on. I never had a motorcycle endorsement (very bad I know). I did get caught of course and went and took the written exam for a permit. In AZ they have a course in which you ride and are deducted for different things. After practicing on the course for an afternoon, I realized that If I was to pass, it would be barely as the course was not designed with a sport-bike in mind. Left AZ and the bike behind.

Now I am back in Tupelo, MS. I have an opportunity (the wife O.K.'d it..lol) to get a new bike. I have been intrigued with adventure riding/dual sports for a few years now and just figured it would be a long time before I was able to do anything about it. I am currently looking at the 2013 KTM 690 Enduro R. It suits what I want the bike for which is an ALL AROUND bike. Commuting, Adventure, Off-Road, Cruising, etc. Super excited to see that everyone with the 690 seems to be very happy with it. Now on to the question(s).

I am, of course, going to make sure that I am legal here in MS unlike I was in AZ. I am not worried about the written exam as it is easy. I have a friend that will lend me his Rebel 250 to take the driving exam on. He just has to get an updated insurance card. He does not have an endorsement himself which brings up another question.

Anyone here taken the riding exam in Tupelo? If so, what was required? I have not ridden this Rebel, but have experience on other bikes other than what is listed. I am not worried about the riding part, just curious to know what to expect. Also, if I go get my permit first, I am only allowed to ride if another rider with an endorsement is following me on another bike or in a car. Do you know if they will ask to see the other rider's endorsement or will they just assume that he or someone else, that followed me up to the DMV, has one?

I know this is getting lengthy, I just want to try and do this as best I can. The friend with the Rebel is the only person I know that has a bike, period. I have nothing that could trailer a bike up there, in which case I'm left in a catch 22 position about trying to get my endorsement.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to meeting up with some of the 'locals' here and take a trip in the soon-to-be-near future.

Thanks
Richard
Glad you posted up and welcome to the forum!

The endorsement process in MS is pretty easy. You take a written exam and once you've passed that, you may take your riding exam. I believe once you pass your written exam, that serves as your permit until you can take the riding exam, but I think you can take the written exam and the riding exam the same day. You can either trailer your bike to the testing location or you can ride with someone who has an endorsement. They did check my buddy's license.

The test, at least for me, was easy; after she looked at my lights and listened to my horn, I had to ride out of the testing location parking lot and back into it . You need to get an inspection sticker too.

Hang in there; someone from up your way will post soon I'm sure.

Hope to ride with you soon!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
unclejimmy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:

Thanks
Richard
Welcome to the forum,,,,,Lots of good information here..I live in Mantee abourt 40 miles downthe Trace....I got a trailer you can use to transport your bike while getting the endorsement..There is a few guys here on the North Ms thread...I am working just South of Tupelo and would br glad to pull the trrailer to the job,,so you can pick it up.....Got some good roads along the Trace,,,,Get your endorsment and lets go riding....I have a 250 and a 650 KLR,,,and a Goldwing... UJ
unclejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Manicska OP
n00b

Thanks all for the good info,replies,and warm welcome!

You are right in that you can take the written and riding test in the same day. I have planned though to go up there and get my permit first to keep from having to trailer the bike up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejimmy View Post
Welcome to the forum,,,,,Lots of good information here..I live in Mantee about 40 miles down the Trace....I got a trailer you can use to transport your bike while getting the endorsement..There is a few guys here on the North Ms thread...I am working just South of Tupelo and would be glad to pull the trailer to the job,,so you can pick it up.....Got some good roads along the Trace,,,,Get your endorsement and lets go riding....I have a 250 and a 650 KLR,,,and a Goldwing... UJ
Thank you for the amazing offer. I don't think I will require the trailer, but I might borrow you and your endorsement in return for some gas money and a free meal to follow me up there to take the riding test if that would be suitable?

Thanks again for the awesomeness on this site !
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
unclejimmy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks all for the good info,replies,and warm welcome!

You are right in that you can take the written and riding test in the same day. I have planned though to go up there and get my permit first to keep from having to trailer the bike up there.

Thank you for the amazing offer. I don't think I will require the trailer, but I might borrow you and your endorsement in return for some gas money and a free meal to follow me up there to take the riding test if that would be suitable?

Thanks again for the awesomeness on this site !
I probably can help you with this endorsment....What day youthinkinh about? call me six 6 two 5 four 2 8 four 0 nine uj
Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Manicska OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejimmy View Post
I probably can help you with this endorsment....What day youthinkinh about?
I work at the Toyota plant in Blue Springs so I work a swing shift. Currently on night shift for the rest of this week and next week. I am heading to take my written test tomorrow. Was hoping to get my endorsement next week sometime. I have to leave for work around 5:15 pm. So anytime between 8am-4:30pm anytime next week would be fine for me. I have saved your number but my phone is charging so figured I would just reply here today.

Thank you again for your help! It is greatly appreciated. Once again I'll be happy to cover your gas and free meal + beverage(s)
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
unclejimmy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I work at the Toyota plant in Blue Springs so I work a swing shift. Currently on night shift for the rest of this week and next week. I am heading to take my written test tomorrow. Was hoping to get my endorsement next week sometime. I have to leave for work around 5:15 pm. So anytime between 8am-4:30pm anytime next week would be fine for me. I have saved your number but my phone is charging so figured I would just reply here today.

Thank you again for your help! It is greatly appreciated. Once again I'll be happy to cover your gas and free meal + beverage(s)
Give me a call, iam not regular on reading this forum,,,,will be glad to help you when ever,,,,, the 19 / 23 I will be in Middle Tn riding dirt roads,,,,, UJ