User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
andrew.b OP
KS_gsRider

Oddometer: 19
slipped in the mud- with pictures

Had my first motorcycle wreck yesterday. Luckily wasn't that bad and compared to some of the stories on here, hardly worth mentioning, but it definitely got the adrenaline pumping and it the first time I've ever had a bike go out from under me in 15 year of off and on motorcycling and dirt biking.

I was riding from kansas city down to a piece of land we own near Springfield MO and decided to get off the big highway, since after all I have a GS and interstates are BORING. I was shooting for some 2 lane state highways but didn't really have a route planned out and was just using the GPS to stay headed in the general direction I wanted so ended up on a dirt/gravel road. The first couple miles I was being super careful since I wasn't sure of the road conditions, but all I saw were the occasional pot holes that were easily spotted and swervable. Other than that the road was in pretty nice shape and seemed dry.

So I'm cruising along about 35 mph and at the crest of a small hill there's a muddy spot with a bit of a tire rut in it, not a deep rut but deep enough. I'm really not sure the precise reason I lost it, but I think the rut pulled the front wheel to the side and the bike started wobbling and I ended up loosing the front and going down. I hit pretty hard and slid on my belly/side on the mud and rocks.

Luckily I was able to get right up and the only injury was literally just a small scratch on the top of my right wrist. I was wearing leather boots, not track boots just good quality boots, jeans, inexpensive leather chaps, Fox Racing body armor, leather jacket and a (brand new) Nolan N85 helmet with some leather insulated winter gloves.

The gear certainly saved getting pretty scraped up and maybe even a busted collar bone. My leather jacket has a pretty deep gauge in it on the shoulder but I'm not even sore there. I guess the armor works pretty well. My face shield popped off, I got it back on but I need to get a new one. It's pretty scratched up.

Luckily the bike only sustained minor damage and I put another 200 miles on it before getting home this afternoon. The bars are a little bent and my throttle meiser is ripped halfway off, but the rest is mostly cosmetic. Broke the front turn signal, scratched my windshield, chipped and scratched my side case, scratched the pelican case and the grey piece by the fairing but that's about it. I was kind of questioning whether the pelican would stay put using the Touratech mount system and now I know - it's pretty damn solid. That thing dug into the mud at 35 mph and didn't budge. Pelican cases are awesome. The BMW side case took a pretty nasty hit and cracked, but it's usable and opens/closes OK still so I'll probably just leave it alone for now, they're too expensive to buy a new set just for cosmetic purposes. Now I have excuse to get some aluminum ones some day.

Next time I'll try and remember to PAY ATTENTION and remember that dirt roads have lots of unexpected issues that can come up QUICKLY. Also, my tires aren't really great for dirt, not that I blame the tires but they're pretty slick compared to something with real knobs that I've seen some people run on their GSs.

Here's some pics of me and the bike immediately post face-plane:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10314...05020808759025
andrew.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,622
Wipe the mud off, you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,342
Now your GS has the "broken in, not broke" look......

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
andrew.b OP
KS_gsRider

That's true, gives it a little character. That improves resale value, right?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
+1

Exact same thing happened to me the other night. But I was going a little slower. My front tire just decided to find a groove and slide out.
My Aluminum Pannier, my engine guard, and my huge BDCW foot pegs caught my bike and it spun around on the ground with my shoulder in the dirt.
I was happily cruising along and then "pow" - out of nowhere - I am down in mud. I know it would have been less likely to happen if I were riding with a front knobby. I am definitely going to be more careful in muddy conditions from now on. No significant damage. Picked some gravel out of my footpeg and BMW pannier mounts bent a bit, so it clunked a bit on the way home and the next morning I straightened the metal sliders on the pannier mount - thing a ma jingys with a crescent wrench, and it's as good as new - save a scratch or three.

fractalsource screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 08:43 AM
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,100
One of the first things you learn mtn biking is 'ride out the rut.' Sounds like you tried to turn out of it and it bit ya.

Glad it wasn't worse!

M
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
andrew.b OP
KS_gsRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
One of the first things you learn mtn biking is 'ride out the rut.' Sounds like you tried to turn out of it and it bit ya.

Glad it wasn't worse!

M
Thanks, I totally agree. I was even thinking a few minutes before the crash about the need to just ride through if I hit a soft spot or ruts, but somehow it didn't work out with this particular rut. I must have either turned or hit the front brake, although it happened so fast I'm not really sure. I really don't think I hit the brake but I remember right before going down that the bike was wobbling left/right and eventually the front tire slipped, so I must have jerked the bars to try and fight the pull of the rut sending everything out of control.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
andrew.b OP
KS_gsRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
Exact same thing happened to me the other night. But I was going a little slower. My front tire just decided to find a groove and slide out.
My Aluminum Pannier, my engine guard, and my huge BDCW foot pegs caught my bike and it spun around on the ground with my shoulder in the dirt.
I was happily cruising along and then "pow" - out of nowhere - I am down in mud. I know it would have been less likely to happen if I were riding with a front knobby. I am definitely going to be more careful in muddy conditions from now on. No significant damage. Picked some gravel out of my footpeg and BMW pannier mounts bent a bit, so it clunked a bit on the way home and the next morning I straightened the metal sliders on the pannier mount - thing a ma jingys with a crescent wrench, and it's as good as new - save a scratch or three.
Glad you were OK. Sounds a lot like what I did. I may try a front knobby for my next set of tires, but I'm planning to do a ride to the west coast later this summer and kind of hate to get one before that since it will probably wear them slick. My current tires have decent tread left but are >10 yrs old. Probably need to do something soon in terms of tires.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Tires help but if your going down your going down. You need to be standing up with your weight way forward as far as you can go while the bike is still straight. Elbows bent and out on your toes and all that stuff. Then when the bike moves around you counter the movement sometimes very fast while staying on the gas. Basically the bike could almost be laying on the ground but you would still be standing over it.

When you need traction and you have the bike straight and pointed in the right direction and straight you weight the back tire.

All this doesnt work so well on a 600lb bike with heavy steering unless you are very strong but the heavy bike is actually an advantage unless the ground is real soft then you can sink if your speed is not sufficient to stay on top.

The heavier bike will actually move more slowly which helps if your technique is perfect but you can't save yourself by putting a foot down
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote