Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I think you can just get used to it.
I will hang back from a truck and draft sometimes, ready to dodge anything that shows up on the road.
Its a mixed bag, a truck will block anything big, people see it, they don't do anything fast, but the limitation to the sight lines is not good.

I do not like being next to them at all.
I couldn't do that. I'd be on edge all the time waiting for the truck to straddle a mattress or box spring. I also want to see the road ahead at all times.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I stay off the damn highways alltogether! Problem solved! Don't see too many 18-wheelers off-road... although I did ride past a whole slew of tour buses last year on a stretch of gravel/dirt road up in the mountains. Not sure how they got up there, but they were apparently bussing a bunch of people doing some kind of Mormon re-enactment. It was weird... (the busses, not the Mormons)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,381
I generally do also, but not everyone can I suppose.

I have a nice ride I try and do a few times every year, and there are two ways to get to the start of the good parts, the back roads, and the interstate.
I have been doing the ride for 35 years on all sorts of bikes, and the interstate is just boring unless you are on a little bike.
So I often take the back roads up, and the interstate back.

After a 6 to 14 hour ride, a blast on the interstate is like a road race on a little bike, and it wakes me up racing cars.

On a big bike, its just a waste of time at anywhere close to legal speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
I stay off the damn highways alltogether! Problem solved! Don't see too many 18-wheelers off-road... although I did ride past a whole slew of tour buses last year on a stretch of gravel/dirt road up in the mountains. Not sure how they got up there, but they were apparently bussing a bunch of people doing some kind of Mormon re-enactment. It was weird... (the busses, not the Mormons)
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,368
Buffetting....pffft.

Ride an HD bagger with a fairing and laugh at the semis.

Seriously, the DR650 gets blown around pretty hard, on the XR I just scoot on past at a good clip, but while on the Road Glide I can sit in the most turbulent wash and the only thing really affected is some buffeting of my helmet but bike is rock solid steady.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Yeah, that might be the "one" thing that would make me even consider riding a Harley! LoL!

Made the same ride today, 138 miles, round trip, It sucked the big one again! It seems that truckers, even if they signal, which all did, assume that they can do whatever the F they want regardless of who is behind them, about to pass, etc. When they pass each other it takes for fing ever! meanwhile, every asshole cager is pissed and on your ass because oif the backup. This is really no way to live! From no on, if possible, I'll stick to the slower, more scenic two lanes.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,202
I agree with getting by quick and far left. Once about 20 years ago I passed a tractor trailer rig and when I was mid-way along the trailer a car tire mounted on a steel rim came out from under the damn thing and it went right over my head gyrating wildly. I barely had time to duck. I can only guess it was in the road and the truck ran over it, we were in heavy traffic and he would not have been able to change lanes.

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Some pointers from a drivers point of view.

Be wary of drafting behind a truck, its not always possible to dodge debris and it will be kicked up by the wheels or wind.

Avoid riding along side on the passenger side as a bike is hard to see, in the mirrors a bike is about the size of a pen cap and high beams can make the bike virtually invisible
Never ride alongside the cab, you're below the line of sight and will be totally invisable on the passenger side.

Stay as far as you can from trucks hauling rail/ship containers, drayage companies typically use drivers no one else will hire and their equipment will be poorly maintained. Drivers are paid by the container regardless of hours or miles and can be very aggressive.

Be alert around and don't split doubles/triples, they can drift and wander significantly depending on road and wind conditions.

Be alert for other impatient riders/drivers, nobody wants to be near or held up by trucks and will do stupid things to get by even when not safe, especially in freeway merges. No matter how many cars I let merge in front of me, at least 2 more will try to squeeze through.

Remember trucks need to swing wide for turns, and have huge blind spots in turns.

That extra space in front of a truck is the space needed to stop, don't cut off trucks unless you want to be axle grease.

Watch out for loose straps/binders on flatbeds.

In commercial areas a truck that stops and puts on 4 ways and/or sounds horn may start backing.

View of the blind side.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #23
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Some pointers from a drivers point of view....
Excellent! Thanks.

-->> James Bay & North Road Solo Blitz -->> Patagonia / Tierra del Fuego Cappuccino Tour
-->> Trans-Labrador Highway Solo Blitz --->> South African Cappuccino Tour
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Buffetting....pffft.

Ride an HD bagger with a fairing and laugh at the semis.
Unless you need to get away from one...

Seriously when your motorcycle weighs as much as a small car and has no side fairings to catch the wind, it's not going to move as much...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #25
bwbeck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I don’t mind them much on dry ground. I try not to ride behind one long and pass in the far side of the lane. But in the rain it is another story.

I was on a long trip and had been in the rain for a while. I had seen a truck getting ready to pass me. I prepared myself and he went by. I did not see the RV behind him and he was inches away when I noticed him. Scared the hell out of me. Now when the conditions allow I prefer to stay just a hair faster so I can pick the time of passing.
bwbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Some pointers from a drivers point of view...
This is great info... thanks very much!
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #27
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Not a passing tip, but many years ago an 18-wheeler lost a wheel in the opposite lanes. I saw it well ahead of me, the wheel/tire passing the truck and bouncing in big arcs over the median. Plenty of time to prepare and avoid, but it was still surprisingly but not scary-close when it bounced across in front of me. Might have been a different story in the dark.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Not a passing tip, but many years ago an 18-wheeler lost a wheel in the opposite lanes. I saw it well ahead of me, the wheel/tire passing the truck and bouncing in big arcs over the median. Plenty of time to prepare and avoid, but it was still surprisingly but not scary-close when it bounced across in front of me. Might have been a different story in the dark.
Near here, one of those bounced over the Jersey Barrier, impacted the windshield of an oncoming car and killed the woman driving it.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #29
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
Be careful passing those bastards no matter where you are.

Cruising down a 2 laner,
Semi makes a right out of a parking lot in front of me -
it was on a straight stretch so I put my blinker on,
and start passing him.
Son of a bitch immediately starts making a left into an ambulance station.

me: slid sideways for a bit,
had time to think about laying it down and sliding under the truck -
but since there were no cameras, no one would believe me anyway,
I just held the slide.

Managed to keep it upright and scooted into the same lot.
trucker just gave me a 'holy shit i'm sorry' kinda look.

that was a god damn for sure.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Never follow a cattle truck too closely!
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote