User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #5281
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 272
Late to the party here

Went up to Whorelando for the weekend, but just got back and saw some folks looking to ride. I lived in Miami for several years, but recently moved to PBC, looking to do the occasional Sat or Sun morning ride. We probably have a mont or so of tolerable weather before it gets really brutal. I had a fun, if short, "urban ADV loop" out by the Loxahatchie Reserve, but they have a bunch of new construction out there now, and it's been bulldozed flat and gated. It was fun, just enough sand to drop your bike, and just enough mud/dirt make your bike look like you acutally off-roaded, when you pulled up to Starbucks later...
Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #5282
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
anybody for going to play in the heat and rain on Saturday? I wanna go get some more seat time on the DR before I head to Ecuador next week. Maybe do the whole Miami Canal, Holeylands, Resevervation......then a big detour out to 29 and south and run into the Squares? Then Tamiami, Loop Road. Long day, but can be shortened at anytime.....or maybe just out tamiami to Loop and then the squares.

yes I know it will be very wet!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #5283
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
gps tracks?

Do you have any gps tracks/routes of this ride from past trips?

I'm flying into florida tomorrow for a weekend wedding. Having never been to florida before I intend on renting a motorcycle to explore for a day or two before my times up
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #5284
coconuttele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Im up for a saturday ride if im not on the boat. With the wind in the forcast, theres a good chance for a ride. Keep me up on the haps!!
coconuttele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #5285
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,240
Input requested from those of you who live here.

I've been here for about 10 years now, and have learned to pretty much ignore advice given from people who don't ride in the heat & humidityof south Florida's summer.

I'm contemplating a new helmet to better fit my long-oval head (that isn't at Shoei or Arai prices).

The one that I may pull the trigger on soon, since no dual sport helmets in that price range fit long-oval, is the Icon Airmada (and I'm choosing it for both head shape and the vents).

I typically go for a white helmet just to reflect the heat since I do ride all through the summer... but I'm contemplating putting some color and excitement into my life by possibly buying the "Stack Orange."

From a safety standpoint I still believe that the all-white will be seen better, but that the orange will obviously stand-out more to people who see it.

But how much hotter is a orange and black helmet gonna be? This isn't like I'm zipping around at high speeds most days, so the airflow will be minimal.

Choices: The Orange one at the top here

Or the all-white one here:

Any input in as far as super-sunny, super-humid days and colors other than white (or its opposite, black)?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #5286
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

Any input in as far as super-sunny, super-humid days and colors other than white (or its opposite, black)?

I am in Texas now but rode extensively around Florida for 15 years. I used to use Schuberth helmets regularly but the Shoei Hornet definitely fits the need when you need to get rid of heat.

And yeah, that's not what you want to hear because of the price, but it is what it is Amigo.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #5287
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I am in Texas now but rode extensively around Florida for 15 years. I used to use Schuberth helmets regularly but the Shoei Hornet definitely fits the need when you need to get rid of heat.

And yeah, that's not what you want to hear because of the price, but it is what it is Amigo.
I have to agree here, as ventilation comes at a price. I would get the Hi-Viz yellow as it will stand out more than white and is closer to white than orange which is a darker color...YMMV
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #5288
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1150gsadv View Post
I have to agree here, as ventilation comes at a price. I would get the Hi-Viz yellow as it will stand out more than white and is closer to white than orange which is a darker color...YMMV
Yeah, except I'd rather have the all white one than the yellow high-vis, so between the two that would be an easy choice.

But no-one has any input on color variations and heat?

Hell, I'll just save the money and buy the white one then. Cue the continued uninteresting life I lead.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 06-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #5289
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,716
Quote:
Yeah, except I'd rather have the all white one than the yellow high-vis, so between the two that would be an easy choice.

Hell, I'll just save the money and buy the white one then. Cue the continued uninteresting life I lead.
Had one of these in flat black...

http://www.afxhelmets.com/helmets/dualsport/fx-39ds.php

Now, I have one of these in white...

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/O...199_200897_199

I don't think it matters in 90+ degree heat. They're both hot. With the Explorer helmet, I usually ride with the face shield open and the tinted visor engaged. This allows for some airflow to cool you off when moving.

I guess you can always ride without a helmet, put on a vest or wifebeater, and wear assless chaps.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #5290
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

My last several helmets have been black. Previous to that red. Maybe it's an old wives tale but I have always heard that color makes little difference because the styrofoam liner in helmets acts as insulation.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #5291
sanpau
Love to Ride

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
My last several helmets have been black. Previous to that red. Maybe it's an old wives tale but I have always heard that color makes little difference because the styrofoam liner in helmets acts as insulation.
I have not done a temp. test but know that when I changed from the matte black helmet to the silver one it made a huge difference and my new Nolan helmet is white. I like it a lot. I was ready to buy the Arai but after trying it on and the new Nolan....The Nolan fits me better a a bit less $$ than Arai. My 2 cents worth.....Raining here in SF
sanpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #5292
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I'm probably just going to go for the white - more for the safety aspect than the heat reduction over the orange.

It's not that I want a road helmet, it's that there isn't a cost effective dual-sport helmet that is long-oval... so it is what it is.

On longer rides I'm sure I'll appreciate the smaller shell, too.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #5293
fortizgur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
hello to all!! Last minute ride on Saturday and so I decided to go out west on tamiami trail,,, started going thru loop rd and it just came down!! really heavy rain,,, and from the looks it wasnt going to get any better,,, so I headed back east (towards miami) and was only able to get about 150 mile ride that day... Anyway, I look forward to meeting other riders in area,,,, FLRRIDER1, best of luck on your Ecuadorian ride!! if able keep us posted with some fotos. Regards, Frank
fortizgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #5294
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Thumbs down construction down S

Looks like the turd (pike) is gonna be a clusterfuck starting in July for ~3 yrs. More lanes etc from the S end to 216 St. FWIW I couldn't find any info about this at http://floridasturnpike.com/

I rarely take it that way while in the cage. Now it'll be never.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #5295
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
Looks like the turd (pike) is gonna be a clusterfuck starting in July for ~3 yrs. More lanes etc from the S end to 216 St. FWIW I couldn't find any info about this at http://floridasturnpike.com/

I rarely take it that way while in the cage. Now it'll be never.
is this it?

29. I-595/SR 84/Florida’s Turnpike - Broward County -- Major reconstruction
between I-95 (Exit 10) and 136th Avenue (10.5 miles) adding reversible
express lanes in the median of I-595 with direct access ramps to and from
Florida’s Turnpike and I-95, reconstruction of seven I-595 interchanges
and reconstruction of Florida’s Turnpike from Griffin Road (Exit 53) to
Peters Road overpass (Mile Post 55) (2 miles).
30. I-95 - Broward and Miami-Dade counties -- Extending the express lanes from the Golden Glades Interchange to Broward

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/publicinf...elersguide.pdf

or:

32. Florida’s Turnpike Mile Posts 16-17 - Miami-Dade County -- Ramp
construction and bridge widening (1 mile).
33. Florida’s Turnpike Mile Posts 58-66 - Broward County -- Adding northbound lanes from Sunrise Boulevard (Exit 58) to Atlantic Boulevard (Exit 66) (8 miles

34. Florida’s Turnpike Mile Post 65 - Broward County -- Pompano Beach Service Plaza has opened, but bus and tractor trailer parking remains limited while work continues on a new parking lot.
35. Florida’s Turnpike Mile Posts 66-73 - Palm Beach and Broward counties -- Resurfacing from Atlantic Boulevard (Exit 66) to Exit 73 (7 miles).
36. Florida’s Turnpike Mile Post 94 - Palm Beach County -- West Palm Beach Service Plaza has construction underway on a new restaurant, however temporary restrooms are in place and food and fuel are available at the newly constructed convenience store.
37. Florida’s Turnpike Mile Post 117 - Palm Beach County -- Indiantown Road bridge work underway.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR