Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
VidereStudios OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
May Long Weekend Ride - Southern BC

Hey all,

My brother and I are riding up from Oregon to spend a long weekend riding around southern BC. I purchased the Backroad Mapbooks and have been poring over them and Google Earth. I wanted to get some feedback on some potential road conditions. Here is the rough itinerary:

1. Huntingdon border crossing to Mission to West Harrison FSR...stay at Wolf, Grace, or Francis Lake Rec Site that night.
2. West Harrison FSR up to to Hale Creek, then up to Skookumchuck, then to Pemberton for lunch.
3. Head up 99 to Pavilion and then take the Pavilion Clinton Road to Kelly Lake. Stay the night there.
4. Head over High Bar Road to the Big Bar Ferry and then take the Pavilion FSR back into Lillooet for lunch.
5. Ride up Bridge River Road to Carpenter Lake and then take Mission Mountain Road over the Pass to Seton Portage.
6. Take Highline Road to D'Arcy and then find a rec site for that night nearby (or stay back at Carpenter Lake if it gets too late).
7. Next day take 99 back into Vancouver, seeing some of the sites along the way.

I have been watching the road and pass cameras that the BC government has put up (as well as keeping an eye on the water levels at Big Bar Ferry), but there are several roads that I wanted to make sure are clear. So, my questions are:

Any issues on the West Harrison FSR (besides the general ruggedness)? To me, looks like snow is pretty much gone from the road at this point.

Secondly, the Pavilion Clinton Road. Anybody ride that road recently? How is the snow situation on that road?

High Bar Road? This one could break the northern portion of the route if it is still snowed in. Anybody ride that recently?

Pavilion FSR? Potentially lots of portions of that road could be shaded and still snow bound...elevations are tricky and right at that point. Any thoughts on taking this road in a week and a half?

Finally, Mission Mountain Road from Carpenter Lake to Seton Portage. Has anybody rode that recently? Any snow blocking the road at the top?

Thanks so much in advance for reading through this post. Looking forward to spending some time on the backroads of your wonderful province!
VidereStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,712
This website can be quite helpfull.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dck/enginee...ngineering.htm

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/enginee...nformation.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX6LTYQwJYc
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidereStudios View Post
Hey all,

My brother and I are riding up from Oregon to spend a long weekend riding around southern BC. I purchased the Backroad Mapbooks and have been poring over them and Google Earth. I wanted to get some feedback on some potential road conditions. Here is the rough itinerary:

1. Huntingdon border crossing to Mission to West Harrison FSR...stay at Wolf, Grace, or Francis Lake Rec Site that night.
2. West Harrison FSR up to to Hale Creek, then up to Skookumchuck, then to Pemberton for lunch.
3. Head up 99 to Pavilion and then take the Pavilion Clinton Road to Kelly Lake. Stay the night there.
4. Head over High Bar Road to the Big Bar Ferry and then take the Pavilion FSR back into Lillooet for lunch.
5. Ride up Bridge River Road to Carpenter Lake and then take Mission Mountain Road over the Pass to Seton Portage.
6. Take Highline Road to D'Arcy and then find a rec site for that night nearby (or stay back at Carpenter Lake if it gets too late).
7. Next day take 99 back into Vancouver, seeing some of the sites along the way.

I have been watching the road and pass cameras that the BC government has put up (as well as keeping an eye on the water levels at Big Bar Ferry), but there are several roads that I wanted to make sure are clear. So, my questions are:

Any issues on the West Harrison FSR (besides the general ruggedness)? To me, looks like snow is pretty much gone from the road at this point.

Secondly, the Pavilion Clinton Road. Anybody ride that road recently? How is the snow situation on that road?

High Bar Road? This one could break the northern portion of the route if it is still snowed in. Anybody ride that recently?

Pavilion FSR? Potentially lots of portions of that road could be shaded and still snow bound...elevations are tricky and right at that point. Any thoughts on taking this road in a week and a half?

Finally, Mission Mountain Road from Carpenter Lake to Seton Portage. Has anybody rode that recently? Any snow blocking the road at the top?

Thanks so much in advance for reading through this post. Looking forward to spending some time on the backroads of your wonderful province!
A lot of the mountain roads you mentioned are on the dry side of the Coast Mountains so they receive a lot less snow than seaward and therefore melt out a lot quicker...

The Darcy, Seton, Mission Mountain route is open... As likely the Hi Bar route, but if it is not you could take Big Bar Lake RD to the Ferry crossing... West Pavilion runs through arid semi Desert country so it will likely be free of snow...

The one that would be the most likely to be still snowed in would be West Harrison... The Hurly Pass is still snowed in on the other side of Pemberton...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Duas Rodas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Last weekend I rode the Highline Rd along Anderson Lake to Seton-Portage, over Mission pass to Carpenter Lake and on to Lillooet. No snow at all it was all nicely graded.
As for the rest of your route I don't know, but I would think it will all be clear of snow.
I think be biggest concern for you is the Big Bar Ferry! Will it be running or not?
Also, on the way down to Kelly lake, a small creek along the road as been known to wash it out at this time of year.

Nice route you've got planned. Enjoy your trip and hopefully the weather will be nice for you.
Duas Rodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Looks like West Harrison is open as some guys went through there a couple weeks back...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Wow, indeed. That is an incredibly useful website. Thanks for the link. That should be a sticky or perhaps an entire thread on AB/BC back road conditions.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 383
That is a nice route you have planned out. The West Harrison FSR might be a bit of fun from 20 Mile Bay to Tipella logging camp at the end of the lake. That section is rough and rocky. Prepare to deal with a flat tire. (which will mean, according to Murphy, you won't have one. :) There is a hill at the start by 20 Mile that could be a bit of a trick to climb, long and steep. Aside from that, the rest of the road is fine. I've done it on a fully loaded Strom, but then again I've only done it heading south, not north.

Also watch for sand around the Big Bar, I had a few issues with it during last year's BC Big Adventure Ride. The scenery around Big Bar and Bridge River is awesome.

Have an awesome ride.

Mike
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
I have done the West Harrison road heading north. There is just the one difficult hill that Grizzly mentions, I did it without any problems on my 640 KTM..........but depending on your abilities and your bikes............I would just keep an eye out for each other in this section. It's very rocky!

Once over the hill........it's all easy sailing with lots of good views. After the logging camp at the north end of the lake........the road smoothes out.
I like using the west side road to the second bridge as I find it more scenic.

The Sloquet hotsprings is a nice place to stay or visit.........it will add 16km round trip to your day.

Also remember if you do 40km's over the speed limit in BC, your bike will be impounded for 7 days.............that will ruin your trip.

Cheers
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
VidereStudios OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the links to these useful websites! I hadn't come across them in my road condition search.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
VidereStudios OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
The Darcy, Seton, Mission Mountain route is open... As likely the Hi Bar route, but if it is not you could take Big Bar Lake RD to the Ferry crossing... West Pavilion runs through arid semi Desert country so it will likely be free of snow...
Thanks for the info! That is much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duas Rodas View Post
Last weekend I rode the Highline Rd along Anderson Lake to Seton-Portage, over Mission pass to Carpenter Lake and on to Lillooet. No snow at all it was all nicely graded.
As for the rest of your route I don't know, but I would think it will all be clear of snow.
I think be biggest concern for you is the Big Bar Ferry! Will it be running or not?
Also, on the way down to Kelly lake, a small creek along the road as been known to wash it out at this time of year.

Nice route you've got planned. Enjoy your trip and hopefully the weather will be nice for you.
Awesome...perfect news! Yeah, it looks like the Ferry is going to be the constraint... Thanks for the info about the potential washout at Kelly Lake... Thanks, I think the route is going to give us a few amazing days of riding!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
VidereStudios OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgrizzly View Post
That is a nice route you have planned out. The West Harrison FSR might be a bit of fun from 20 Mile Bay to Tipella logging camp at the end of the lake. That section is rough and rocky. Prepare to deal with a flat tire. (which will mean, according to Murphy, you won't have one. :) There is a hill at the start by 20 Mile that could be a bit of a trick to climb, long and steep. Aside from that, the rest of the road is fine. I've done it on a fully loaded Strom, but then again I've only done it heading south, not north.

Also watch for sand around the Big Bar, I had a few issues with it during last year's BC Big Adventure Ride. The scenery around Big Bar and Bridge River is awesome.

Have an awesome ride.

Mike
Thanks for the info Mike. I read a couple of ride reports regarding the West Harrison road...we'll be on the look out for that rough, rocky, steep section. The 2012 BC Big Adventure Ride was a ride report that gave me a lot of confirmation on the route. I would like to come up in the fall and do the East Harrison route and then get further west and ride Hurley Pass. Oh well, too many cool places to see (even here in Oregon) and not enough life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I have done the West Harrison road heading north. There is just the one difficult hill that Grizzly mentions, I did it without any problems on my 640 KTM..........but depending on your abilities and your bikes............I would just keep an eye out for each other in this section. It's very rocky!

Once over the hill........it's all easy sailing with lots of good views. After the logging camp at the north end of the lake........the road smoothes out.
I like using the west side road to the second bridge as I find it more scenic.

The Sloquet hotsprings is a nice place to stay or visit.........it will add 16km round trip to your day.
Cheers
Thanks for the reply! I was going to take the east side road and go through Skookumchuck, but I will take a look again at the west side in Google Earth. Unfortunately the Sloquet Hotsprings road is closed for the bears until the end of June...oh, well, that just means I will have to get up there again soon!