ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,729
Yeah, Meter, from all appearances i think you have WeeStrom in your genes. Target demographic, say

Go check out this circle-jerk: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885705 and be sure and post your $6 valve cover tunnel gasket failure experience there. It will be yet another data point for folks to come to their senses and embrace StromAlmighty and stay away from anything related to fraudulent, cultish, arrogant, etc etc etc BMW
Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
I am originally from Montana and now live in a place where there are no BMW dealer close by so I understand how one can feel anxiety about such bikes. I had a Victory before this and the dealer network is smaller than BMW . The bike was not very good either. bought my 01 GS 3 years ago and was warned about all the maintenance it would require. Since then, I have changed my oil every 6K miles, have put 40K on the bike, ridden to Montana 3 times, Seattle, Denver, St Louis, Dallas, San Diego every week, all the way to Honduras and back, through rain, mud, hurricanes, and 122 degree temps. The biggest failure on any of the trips was a tail light bulb. I did have to have the ABS rebuilt and that cost me $250. This bike has been the easiest to maintain, and most cost effective bike I have ever owned.

Yesterday I actually had some professional service done on the bike at Dave Campbell's shop. He said the mechanic that rode the bike said it runs good but feels like it has been ridden hard. It has. However, I am not sure what is making it feel that way other than needing new tires right now and getting the shocks dialed in (I just installed Jacugars). GS's are great bikes that can take a lot of abuse. It's unfortunate you have one needing attention at the beginning of a purchase. Get it fixed and ride it. Don't listen to anyone that tells you how much work it is going to need. They do not know what they are talking about. Their Harley's need more and don't log the miles you will.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Yeah, Meter, from all appearances i think you have WeeStrom in your genes. Target demographic, say

Go check out this circle-jerk: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885705 and be sure and post your $6 valve cover tunnel gasket failure experience there. It will be yet another data point for folks to come to their senses and embrace StromAlmighty and stay away from anything related to fraudulent, cultish, arrogant, etc etc etc BMW

Remind me to completely swallow my hot tea before reading your posts.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post

Wow, tough crowd.

To be clear the cost of repair is going to be about $140 for the stick coil, $320 for the cylinder head cover, whatever the wire to the plug costs, it is a bit melty as well and the cost of the rubber insert on the cylinder head guard.

I imagine it will be somewhere between $460 and $600 to get it all sorted (I don't expect to pay for it), but it is off-putting that a very simple servicing mistake can result in that kind of repair bill.

But like I said, the dealership has a good rep, I went to high school with the tech who likely fucked it up (nice guy and good mechanic) and know 1/2 a dozen other employees who work there. I expect they will take care of me but this will be my 2nd poor experience with European machinery (the first was a Rotax powered boat),

No Vstrom for me. I'd rather eat glass. The GS is a beautiful bike and a very nice ride. Maybe I will feel different Monday morning and just want them to repair it, but as of now I pretty bummed.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
No, get rid of it now. It's a POS and it just showed you what life as an owner will be like forever. Cut your losses.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
Wow, tough crowd.

To be clear the cost of repair is going to be about $140 for the stick coil, $320 for the cylinder head cover, whatever the wire to the plug costs, it is a bit melty as well and the cost of the rubber insert on the cylinder head guard.

I imagine it will be somewhere between $460 and $600 to get it all sorted (I don't expect to pay for it), but it is off-putting that a very simple servicing mistake can result in that kind of repair bill.

But like I said, the dealership has a good rep, I went to high school with the tech who fucked it up (nice guy and good mechanic) and know 1/2 a dozen other employees who work there. I expect they will take care of me but this will be my 2nd poor experience with European machinery (the first was a Rotax powered boat),

No Vstrom for me. I'd rather eat glass. The GS is a beautiful bike and a very nice ride. Maybe I will feel different Monday morning and just want them to repair it, but as of now I pretty bummed.

I hope things are worked out to your satisfaction. If the dealer is worth his money he'll fix this up right for you. Otherwise, as MouthFOF said, you'd be foolish to ever darken their door again.

You do know your V-Strom comment has caused a dozen or so people to cry in their porridge this morning?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
The rubber piece in the 3rd picture is part of the cylinder head guard, hence why I didn't see the damage when inspecting the bike at the dealership.

I did enjoy the 70 miles I did today until I discovered the problem, however I have the kind of personality wherein I will think about this every time I get on the bike, even if the dealership fixes it up.

At this point I'm going to ask them to refund me and be on my way.

At least it wasn't the final drive.......
Sorry to hear about such a rubbish experience on your first outing... I'd be pretty heartbroken myself...

Presumably you didn't buy this bike from a BMW dealership? If so it would have come with a used vehicle warranty lasting between 3 months and a year. Not to mention it would be less likely that a BMW mechanic would have pinched a gasket or whatever caused the leak. It sounds like a trivial issue with the mechanic, not a failure of the bike, despite being a let down on your first ride. Since you say dealership is one you trust, it would seem to me that you have history with them and it would therefore be in their best interest to make it right.

I bought a brand new Honda a few years back and had the clutch kingpin snap with 23 miles on the clock due to a manufacturing defect. Yes I was annoyed, not least because I had to wait with the bike at the side of the road for nearly 2 hours at temperatures just above freezing for the AA to come and put the bike on a dolly and tow home. But after it was fixed, I had the bike for 4 more years and not a thing went wrong. Doesn't matter who makes the bike or how old/new it is, things go wrong unexpectedly. For reference, apart from a snapped pannier lid retainer cable due to my negligence (which the dealership replaced under warranty) my BMW has been 100% reliable since new and I do a lot of riding off road.

Your OCD is a separate matter completely and not relevant to the issue with the bike or the dealership. Get the bike fixed and go for another ride on it. Consider it a cognitive behavioural therapy session for only the cost of fuel. It will be ok. I can say this because I get the same way with things like electronics (cameras, phones etc)... if I drop it and it gets a scratch or chip, I just want to throw it out... until the second scratch.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 08:30 AM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #23
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
Oh my God, there's no milk for my cornflakes. I'm going to kill myself. I cannot go on. Oh, the humanities!

Really?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #24
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Sorry to hear about such a rubbish experience on your first outing... I'd be pretty heartbroken myself...

Presumably you didn't buy this bike from a BMW dealership? If so it would have come with a used vehicle warranty lasting between 3 months and a year. Not to mention it would be less likely that a BMW mechanic would have pinched a gasket or whatever caused the leak. It sounds like a trivial issue with the mechanic, not a failure of the bike, despite being a let down on your first ride. Since you say dealership is one you trust, it would seem to me that you have history with them and it would therefore be in their best interest to make it right.

I bought a brand new Honda a few years back and had the clutch kingpin snap with 23 miles on the clock due to a manufacturing defect. Yes I was annoyed, not least because I had to wait with the bike at the side of the road for nearly 2 hours at temperatures just above freezing for the AA to come and put the bike on a dolly and tow home. But after it was fixed, I had the bike for 4 more years and not a thing went wrong. Doesn't matter who makes the bike or how old/new it is, things go wrong unexpectedly. For reference, apart from a snapped pannier lid retainer cable due to my negligence (which the dealership replaced under warranty) my BMW has been 100% reliable since new and I do a lot of riding off road.

Your OCD is a separate matter completely and not relevant to the issue with the bike or the dealership. Get the bike fixed and go for another ride on it. Consider it a cognitive behavioural therapy session for only the cost of fuel. It will be ok. I can say this because I get the same way with things like electronics (cameras, phones etc)... if I drop it and it gets a scratch or chip, I just want to throw it out... until the second scratch.
I understand why it appears this way to other inmates, I'll clarify.

I've run bikes with duct tape holding things on, oil leaks, crap electrics and such. But I didn't pay $12,000 for them. The price vs experience is the issue here.

I had a 450 mile trip planned for today, but instead have a broken bike and a bad attitude. Going to go drop it at the dealer now and the key in the overnight drop off box. I am going to squid it without a helmet and gear so I don't have to lug it home on my walk (another problem, nobody can figure out the right plug for my 2002 Subaru Legacy to wire the trailer.....)
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Wow, tough crowd.

But like I said, the dealership has a good rep, I went to high school with the tech who likely fucked it up (nice guy and good mechanic) and know 1/2 a dozen other employees who work there. I expect they will take care of me but this will be my 2nd poor experience with European machinery (the first was a Rotax powered boat),

To be fair, any machine repaired improperly will have trouble. Do yourself a favor and give it a second chance.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
I understand why it appears this way to other inmates, I'll clarify.

I've run bikes with duct tape holding things on, oil leaks, crap electrics and such. But I didn't pay $12,000 for them. The price vs experience is the issue here.

I had a 450 mile trip planned for today, but instead have a broken bike and a bad attitude. Going to go drop it at the dealer now and the key in the overnight drop off box. I am going to squid it without a helmet and gear so I don't have to lug it home on my walk (another problem, nobody can figure out the right plug for my 2002 Subaru Legacy to wire the trailer.....)
Good luck with it and I'm sure your second acquaintance with the bike will be more favourable.

As for the trailer connector - maybe this helps?

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Sinistersculler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Call e wam-

I honestly feel like this thread is a joke.

If you have a Honda civic with a bad valve cover gasket installed...end result is close to the same.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #28
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Donut gasket. A $7.00 part. Not something I have fouled up on either of the boxers I have owned, but I can see how you could knock it loose during cover installation.

I cannot tell if I am seeing messed up paint, or optical distortion due to oil on that lower valve cover area. Don't clean it all up; let the shop see it in failure mode.

I kind of look at this the same way I look at it when someone fails to notice that the old spin-on oil filter left its o-ring behind on the engine when it was removed and the new filter is installed on top of it. Those end up leaking too. Stupid mistake, but people manage to make it. In other words, I see your issue as human-based, not machine-based, so throwing up your hands and running away seems kind of like an uncontrolled emotional outburst. I assume that you looked the bike over pretty carefully and considered its condition, and mileage, etc., and made a deal on it that you were happy with. If that was the case, I would let the dealership do their thing, and if they put the bike back into proper order, not worry about it.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
I get the OPs comments. He got a new-to-him bike, and had a miserable surprise on his first ride. Even if the issue is pretty minor to address, it's still a slap in the face and I'd be venting too, to the closest ears that would listen.

My first brand new bike (of non-BMW persuasion) had a ground wire fall off from the frame the first night I owned it, leaving me stranded 50 miles from home. In frustration I was less careful pulling the brand new bike onto its center stand than I should have been, and it made the classic slow right hand fall with me on top of it. Scratching the case on my 50 mile old bike, and getting security out into the parking lot I was at to see what kind of idiot they had to deal with.

It was only a ground wire, but had there been internet at the time I'd have found a forum to "discuss" it...

I rode that bike for a long, long time and it was one of my favorites, scratched side case and all.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
mudmullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Those donuts are like four bucks. Beemerboneyard sells em in bags. In the meantime, wipe everything down, slap that donut back on and take it out for another spin. You're still pretty well set up, anyway, oil smears inhibit corrosion, and the cylinder guard hides the bubbly paint like like it was OEM.
mudmullet is offline   Reply With Quote